Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

John Wesley Harding: excellent live act

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-21-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I've been a fan of John Wesley Harding for years, but never saw him live. I saw him when he came to Columbus on Saturday and, I must say, he put on one heck of a show. It was just him on acoustic guitar with another guy on mandolin, flute and accordian. He took requests, told stories and generally interacted with the audience a lot. I wish he would've played longer than an hour and a half, but there was another act playing at the club later that evening.

If you get a chance, go see him.

For anyone who doesn't know and is interested: While his latest completed album is pending a label release next year (Mammoth dropped him before he could release it), he has a completely new disc for sale on his website. He played a few songs off of it and they are definately on par with his past work. I ordered my copy yesterday.
Old 10-21-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been a huge fan for quite a few years now. I've had the pleasure of seeing him live 3 times, and I've also met him a couple of times and gotten some cool autographs. Personally, I think the guy is one of the most underrated artists out there. Great songwriter, great performer. In a perfect world, the guy would be a gigantic star.
Old 10-21-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird. Your post just made me realize I had a dream last night where I was at a JWH concert. Doo doo doo doo....
Old 10-29-02, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by atlantamoi
Weird. Your post just made me realize I had a dream last night where I was at a JWH concert. Doo doo doo doo....
That is kinda freaky. Two people nigh-simultaneously attending/dreaming about a concert by the same semi-obscure folky British expatriate. That's some Time-Life Mysteries of the Unknown type stuff. Spooky.

If you don't have it yet, go to his website and pick up his new disc. It's really great. I've been listening to it constantly. I also got the other three discs in the Dynablob series, but haven't made it through all of them yet.