Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Deathrow anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deathrow anyone?

Has anyone here had a chance to play Deathrow for Xbox? IGN gave it a favorable review. (Below) However, they tend to be quite gratitous in their xbox reviews I hope there is an option to turn the swearing off, cause thats just going to get annoying. Anyone know anything?

Deathrow does something most games of this type can't manage -- it's its own sport. While Deathrow can be likened to other sports, there's no direct comparison. The varied arenas are great, the gameplay is challenging and the Conquest mode will have you playing Deathrow into the chilly winter. For a game that's gotten little press, this could be a sleeper hit. It's certainly a sleeper in terms of quality. My only hope is Deathrow does well enough to merit a sequel that uses Xbox Live. For a game that's probably meant to be a multiplayer smacktalk fest, I've found the Conquest mode to be far more interesting. I'm hooked and I won't stop playing for a long, long time.

Presentation
Tons of teams, arenas, players, fighting moves, and curse words. Could have used some bigger end-game celebrations and fanfare, but solid overall. 9.0
Graphics
Great lighting and amazing textures blend with fluid animations and some smrt arena designs. 8.0
Sound
Great use of 5.1 and of course, all those swear words. Broken bones, the F-word, and customizable soundtracks. Yum! 9.0
Gameplay
Easy controls and subtle depth that will have you playing and learning for weeks and even months. If only there was online play. 9.0
Lasting Appeal
A ton to unlock. Just the single-player alone will take a serious chunk of hours. Throw in a solid multiplayer experience and this game may never end. 10.0
OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.3
Old 10-22-02, 02:23 PM

What exactly do you do in this game? is it a fighting game or what?
Old 10-22-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I read this particular review and am not inclined to trust it.
Old 10-23-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This game looks like a worthy update to the excellent Genesis game Powerball from Namco. Anyone remember this? I recall the description of the box said it was a combination of football, soccer, martial arts and pro wrestling. What a combo!

It was a top-down playing field where teams had to run-in or kick in the ball, kind of like rugby, and each player had several attack moves that could take out a player. It was so much fun!

Jeremy