Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX performance issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-02, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBOX performance issues

do I need to worry about it crapping out or anything?
I'm ordering mine from Buy.com today
it has manufacture warranty right?

thanks
Old 10-21-02, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The warranty is 3 months and then you can buy an extended one from MS for $25 a year or so. I got mine at Best Buy and paid $25 for a 2 year extended warranty from them. If it breaks I exchange it for a new one on the spot. Otherwise you have to go through their customer service to send it back and hope they fix it.
Old 10-21-02, 08:50 AM

so have u had any problems with it?
what was the percentage of defective units compared to other consoles?
Old 10-21-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know where you would/could find statistics that show percentage of defective units produced for any system..... But I do know that with each system there are defective ones. Play it safe and get the extended warranty. Not just because it's a MS xbox but because it's a delicate piece of expensive electronic equipment that could always crap out...
Old 10-21-02, 11:00 AM

Do you have to buy the XBOX at Best buy to get their warranty. Can I buy it at Buy.Com and then go buy the 2 year warranty from Best Buy. I am assuming no, but thought I would ask.
Old 10-21-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by jasonp5
Do you have to buy the XBOX at Best buy to get their warranty. Can I buy it at Buy.Com and then go buy the 2 year warranty from Best Buy. I am assuming no, but thought I would ask.
That would be a negative.
Old 10-21-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by syphon00
so have u had any problems with it?
what was the percentage of defective units compared to other consoles?
After having it for a month, no.
Old 10-21-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Well, you can always add the Microsoft 2 year warranty at ANY time after your purchase. I called and asked about this out of curiosity since I get the occasional warranty offer in the mail. As long as your Xbox is in working condition you can purchase the warranty. So, if it ever happens that you need to get it repaired, call up, buy the warranty and wait a few weekes then send it in.
Old 10-21-02, 11:36 AM

I would not recommend the Best Buy extended warranty on the X-Box. I purchased a X-Box w/extended warranty from them a couple of months ago and I started to have problems with the X-box locking up while loading games. The problem didn't happen all of the time, but it was starting to get annoying. I tried to bring it back and they said they needed proof that the X-box was faulty. They played it for awhile and they couldn't get it to lock up, so they wouldn't repair/exchange it. They said all 4 of my games it locked up on were bad and the system was fine. I finally got a game where it locked up in the same spot all the time and finally had PROOF that the system was faulty and got a new one.
Old 10-21-02, 11:42 AM

Best Buy can be a pain like that. Some store ware nice, but most arn't just going to take your word for it.

I had an xbox. (free!) It broke. MS fixed it. Was kind of a pain. I also know a couple people who have had problems with the units. It's true that all systems will have some bad units, but in my limited view, I have seen more xboxes go bad then the other consoles. I don't think there is much to worry about however, it's not like 1 in 2 go bad or anything.
Old 10-21-02, 12:22 PM

I know about 10 maybe more Xbox owners. And none of them had a problem.
Old 10-21-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought mine at launch and have had zero problems until Buffy. I thought it was my xbox but after posting here I found out it was a stall bug in like 3 places in the game. Since the second level it's been smooth sailing Happy xbox owner here!
Old 10-21-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought my Xbox on release day last November.

Never had a single problem.
Old 10-21-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Just one problem. When racing on xbox live GPmoto, I get a lockup after the first race saying that the disc is dirty. The disc is not dirty. Sometimes it'll race just fine.
Old 10-21-02, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by rabbit77
That would be a negative.
Do you mean that it would be a negative for me to buy it from Buy.com and then buy the Best Buy warranty, or that I can buy the Best buy warranty regardless of where I buy the console from.
Old 10-21-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by jasonp5
Do you mean that it would be a negative for me to buy it from Buy.com and then buy the Best Buy warranty, or that I can buy the Best buy warranty regardless of where I buy the console from.
You have to buy it from Best Buy in order to get the 2 year warranty.
Old 10-21-02, 05:16 PM

I know 3 people with xbox's bought at launch and there have been no problems. I have had no problems with mine either.
Old 10-21-02, 05:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by teplitsa
You have to buy it from Best Buy in order to get the 2 year warranty.
If you wanted to get sneaky about it, dunno if this would work, but you could take your unopened Xbox to them, tell them you bought it yesterday, can't find the recept, but you changed your mind about the extended plan and you want it. Not something I would try, but this is the forum where people buy $10 games at Target and take them to Walmart for full credit.
Old 10-21-02, 05:34 PM
Retired

I tend to ignore internet reports of problems with any kind of electronic equipment, unless I see tons of them.

My reasoning is that people are much more likely to post on message boards, or review sites, when they have a problem with something, than when whatever they bought works great. People like to complain.

I've had a Toshiba SD-2109 DVD player for over 3 years and have never had a problem with eventhoug I see tons of complaints about it on the net.

Same with my 27" Wega. I've had it for over 2 years without a hitch. If I had listened to all the complaints at review sites, I'd have missed out on a great TV. Also the same thing with my Sony DD/DTS receiver. Lots of complaints of overheating etc. no problems with mine.

I'm not saying people are lying and making up stuff (though I'm sure some people do, especially with video games given the rampant fanboyism on the net). I'm simply saying what you see on the net isn't going to be a representative sample of the owners of any product.

All consoles are going to have a few lame ducks that breakdown, and the X-box might be slight more problem prone due to having a hard drive, but it's not something that should keep anyone from buying the system. I'd say it's not even necessary to get the warranty. Most problems seem to occur pretty soon after purchase (at least the ones reported by the unrepresentative sample on the net ) so the 90 day warranty should do you fine. I'd just get the warranty for peace of mind, if you're that worried about it.

Personally, I stopped with warranties for most things. I figured by the time I added up all the warranty costs for items I've had that never broke, it would more than equal the cost or replacing whatever I eventually have breakdown without a warranty.
Old 10-21-02, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

My reasoning is that people are much more likely to post on message boards, or review sites, when they have a problem with something, than when whatever they bought works great. People like to complain.
Right on.
Old 10-21-02, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
If you wanted to get sneaky about it, dunno if this would work, but you could take your unopened Xbox to them, tell them you bought it yesterday, can't find the recept, but you changed your mind about the extended plan and you want it. Not something I would try, but this is the forum where people buy $10 games at Target and take them to Walmart for full credit.
I don't think it would work. They track all sales by serial number.
Old 10-21-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I tend to ignore internet reports of problems with any kind of electronic equipment, unless I see tons of them.

I've had a Toshiba SD-2109 DVD player for over 3 years and have never had a problem with eventhoug I see tons of complaints about it on the net.

Same with my 27" Wega. I've had it for over 2 years without a hitch. If I had listened to all the complaints at review sites, I'd have missed out on a great TV. Also the same thing with my Sony DD/DTS receiver. Lots of complaints of overheating etc. no problems with mine.

I'm not saying people are lying and making up stuff (though I'm sure some people do, especially with video games given the rampant fanboyism on the net). I'm simply saying what you see on the net isn't going to be a representative sample of the owners of any product.

All consoles are going to have a few lame ducks that breakdown, and the X-box might be slight more problem prone due to having a hard drive, but it's not something that should keep anyone from buying the system. I'd say it's not even necessary to get the warranty. Most problems seem to occur pretty soon after purchase (at least the ones reported by the unrepresentative sample on the net ) so the 90 day warranty should do you fine. I'd just get the warranty for peace of mind, if you're that worried about it.

Personally, I stopped with warranties for most things. I figured by the time I added up all the warranty costs for items I've had that never broke, it would more than equal the cost or replacing whatever I eventually have breakdown without a warranty.
And you forgot to add that some people really beat up their equipment and then complain that it breaks.
Old 10-21-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Xbox was a bit of a nightmare, but Microsoft went out of their way to try and fix it, even taking it back twice for repairs after the warranty period.

Its been working great for about three weeks so I'm hoping I won't have any more trouble.
Old 10-21-02, 06:48 PM
Retired

And you forgot to add that some people really beat up their equipment and then complain that it breaks.
Very true. For example, take the overheating problems I mentioned reading about with the Sony receiver I own. I bet most of the people who had them were:

I. Playing movies/music exceptionally loud for long periods of time.

II. Had other equipment stacked on top of it when most of the ventalatoin for the receiver is on top.

Put I and II together, and the thing is likely to overheat. I play my stuff fairly loud, but not so loud that it hurts my ears. For movies that means the receiver never gets past half full volume, for music it's even lower.

I also have mine on the bottom shelf of my entertainment system, with nothing on top of it.
Old 10-22-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think it would work. They track all sales by serial number.
and they can look up your receipt by your telephone number that you supposedly just gave them the day before when you bought the system... I wouldn't try it... Either take your chances without a warranty or go with MS's official one for $25/year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.