Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New Xbox Owners club. Come join me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-02, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Xbox Owners club. Come join me!

Just picked up my Xbox today. And I picked up the Hi-def pack(I don't have HDTV but plan to someday) and an optical cable. After finally getting the DD to work correctly, I played some Sega GT. Nothing like knowing a guy is passing you by sounds alone!

But now the fun starts, I'm on the hunt for cheap xbox games(Once I get some more cash that is).

ANyway, the club starts here! What are your first day(week) experiences?
Old 10-20-02, 11:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go get Halo ASAP.
Old 10-20-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But I am not too big a fan of FPS. WOuld that present a huge issue? I think it might. Or have non-FPS fans learned to love all that is Halo?
Old 10-20-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my sort of random thoughts:

i got the advanced pack (svideo + DD sound) and i'm happy w/ it. i can finally use the optical digital input... actually, i thought about using it for the ps2 but realized that the xbox has real DD.

so far, played amped, halo, sega gt and jsrf. my initial impressions are that indeed, the graphics are better, but i wouldn't say so much better than the ps2. the ps2 is good enough right now.

halo, having difficulty controlling it. not used to using the 2 joysticks. sound is pretty amazing in DD! i feel like a mouse/keyboard interface is better. i'm not a huge fan of FPS's either... so far, i don't get it.

amped, not nearly as fun as SSX tricky, but i'm hoping that it will grow on me. i liked the idea of exploring more.

jsrf - i like the quirkyness. i think this is my favorite of the 4 right now.

sega gt - my car isn't in it... but it looks like gran turismo 3 so i'll probably like it. vibration is weird - i get just vibration that doesn't seem to correlate to anything on the screen. maybe my extension cable? haven't fully investigated it yet (i have to study for a damn exam on monday! )

--
don't notice a difference from letterbox and full screen mode (i don't have a widescreen tv so i didn't try the widescreen mode). haven't tried recording a cd yet. do not have xbox live (nor ps2's online yet).

--
ps2's library of games blows away the xbox right now. (waiting for contra!!! ) hope the xbox starts catching up.

--
xbox limited w/ jsrf/sega gt
dvd remote
extra S controller
7' extension cable
memory card
advanced AV cables (svideo)
2 year warranty (ebgames)

Last edited by young; 10-20-02 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-20-02, 11:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
But I am not too big a fan of FPS. WOuld that present a huge issue? I think it might. Or have non-FPS fans learned to love all that is Halo?

I wasn't a big fan of FPS before I played it either.
Old 10-20-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well, it'll definately be at the least a rental.

I am loving the hard drive. $15 extra bucks I save not having to buy another memory card.
Old 10-20-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am loving the hard drive. $15 extra bucks I save not having to buy another memory card.
whaaa... we can save on to the hard drive? damn my old style ps2 thinking!!!! (btw, i think i paid $25...)

well, what's the memory card for then?
Old 10-20-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sucka. Yeah, the hard drive saves your games. The mem card is good if you plan to take your saves elsewhere however.

And why would you need an extra 7' of cable? These controller cables are damn long. I'm loving that too.

Damn you Bill Gates for making a good system.... I take back all the crap I said the past 6 years or so....
Old 10-20-02, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And why would you need an extra 7' of cable? These controller cables are damn long. I'm loving that too.
yeah, it is long, but i sit about 12' away so the standard cable is not quite long enough.
Old 10-21-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Nothing wrong with backing up your important saves to the memory card. If you ever have problems you don't lose your saves. I speak from experience.
Old 10-21-02, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you get and extra controller? The one that came in your bundle is the smaller one. Many people have had their complaints with the original. I myself don't have any issues with the original other than the placement of the black and white buttons. These are rarely used for most of the games I play. For some decent fighting and awesome graphics, you should pick up Dead or Alive 3. It keeps your collection well rounded. Check your local Target stores. There is a thread lying around here with some good deals, although your mileage may vary. Hope your happy with your new system and get that HDTV soon, your Xbox will love it.
Old 10-21-02, 12:21 AM
Banned

I got my bundle on Tuesday. I bought Halo a few days before. I'm very pleased with the X Box righ t now. Halo made me a fan of FPS, it's so awesome sniping out some aliens from far away. The two free games are great too. Jet Set Radio Future is one of the most fun games I've ever played and is just plain cool. Sega GT 2002 is Gran Turismo 3 light but the option of listening to your own songs while driving is great. The current library of games for X Box is decent but not great. The only exclusive that interests me is Blinx. The rest of the exclusives pretty much suck. But the upcoming exclusives look awesome. I can't wait for Shenmue II, Splinter Cell, Unreal Championship, Brute Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga and maybe Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance(I didn't like the long cinematics in the PS2 version, hopefully there is an option to skip them.)
Old 10-21-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ARGH! When is mine coming? I ordered from BUY.COM last week and it's still "processing." I never thought I'd pick up an X-Box, but now that I've bought it... I WANT IT NOW!
Old 10-21-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Im really looking forward to TUES. I get free rentals at Hollywood so I wont be too bored with only JSRF, and Sega GT. And seeing as how some people have loading issues with some XBoxes I am forced to pick up the warranty as well.
Old 10-21-02, 12:52 AM
Mod Emeritus

Just to let you new guys know, Xbox Live is going to be awesome. I was skeptical at first. In fact I told myself I didn't want it. But now after experiencing Online voice enabled gaming with SOCOM, I'm a HUGE fan of voice enabled online gaming. It really is fun and adds a lot to the experience.

So if you have a broadband connection, then I say take a hard look at getting into that.
Old 10-21-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by quietsoul
ARGH! When is mine coming? I ordered from BUY.COM last week and it's still "processing." I never thought I'd pick up an X-Box, but now that I've bought it... I WANT IT NOW!
quietsoul, do yourself a favor and call buy.com. It happens to me every time, but they insist that they do a random thing with orders and put them on hold for credit card info. When I ordered my Xbox back in June from them, they just didn't send it for two weeks....and I finally called, and they said they needed to confirm the CC info.

I ordered an iPod last month--same thing, except I only waited a few hours to call.

Just give them a call so it gets "sent to warehouse" at least. Then you'll know you're fine.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-02, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by evenflowddt
The rest of the exclusives pretty much suck.
Buffy, buffy, buffy!!! I'm having an absolute BLAST with this game! And no, I am not a Buffy TV fan. Only seen that show 2 or times at the most over the past several years. Though now, I wish I'd seen more! Buffy kick's @ss and the one liners will crack you up
Old 10-21-02, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

muwahaha

I finally received my new U.S. XBOX here in JAPAN and the one game I ordered with it was DOA3. DAAAAAAAAAAAMN. Hopefully I can explain that advanced pack thingy in Japanese to the saleslady at the local Japanese TOYS R US.
Old 10-21-02, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Shuki
Buffy, buffy, buffy!!! I'm having an absolute BLAST with this game! And no, I am not a Buffy TV fan. Only seen that show 2 or times at the most over the past several years. Though now, I wish I'd seen more! Buffy kick's @ss and the one liners will crack you up
This game is why I got XBOX instead of PS2...it's pretty much the only game I play its awesome!
Old 10-21-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hate FPS but love Halo. Give it a try.
Old 10-21-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Like i said, I'll give it a rental.

Question: Does everyone buy the extendend warranty? Best Buy was pushing hard on me to get it, I said no... but then inside the box MS has their own warranty. Do people get these? Is it a wise move?
Old 10-21-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best Buy 2 year full warranty for $25 = good buy
Old 10-21-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can I go back there after the fact, eat some crow, and then buy the PP a week or so after I initially bought the box?
Old 10-21-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can I go back there after the fact, eat some crow, and then buy the PP a week or so after I initially bought the box?
Yea, they should let you do that. I've done that with a CD Player and DVD Player in the past year.
Old 10-21-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I initially turned down the extended warranty at Best Buy. The kid in the video games section even told me that I couldn't come back and get it later.

A couple of days later, I went to the customer service desk and they sold me the extended warranty with no questions asked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.