Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

BOUND- French release

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

BOUND- French release

Old 10-17-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOUND- French release

Can anyone tell me if the French DTS release of BOUND is uncut and if the French subs could be turned off?

Thank you so much......
Old 10-17-02, 05:32 AM

I don't know about the running lengths of different versions of this film, but the French disc is 104 minutes; I have a feeling that is the same as the UK version, but that the German version runs a few minutes longer. Perhaps someone else can confirm this?
As for your second question: the subtitles are burned in. Look at the link below for a screenshot of the languages/audio menu:
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/menus.php3?id=5287&ordre=3

Dazza.
Old 10-17-02, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Correction: they're not 'burned-in', they're 'forced subtitles'. Not the same thing at all.
Old 10-17-02, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Grubert
Correction: they're not 'burned-in', they're 'forced subtitles'. Not the same thing at all.
Oops... of course! Because they don't come on when the French language version is played. My mistake...

However, as far as pro-bassoonist's question is concerned, it effectively adds up to the same thing as he's a non-French speaker and (presumably*) would not be watching the French dub. So I should have said that they *are* removable, but only if you want to watch the French-language version....

Dazza.

* Going by the thread there was concerning "Dobermann" .
Old 10-17-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank's for the info....I actually checked the DVDFR.com beforehand however I did not know that the French subs were forced.

I am unsure about this disc....I like the movie and the French disc looks really nice-anamorpnic, DTS,(perhaps uncut)...however the forced subs are something I did not consider before. Is this a standard practice for all Anglo productions to include forced French subs.

By the way the US BOUND version is non anamorphic and with very, very poor package design, though could be had for as little as 6.99$.
Old 10-17-02, 02:13 PM

Further to the question about cut or uncut:
If you check the 2 different versions available on http://www.amazon.de you'll see that one version is listed as having a R/T of 104 mins (like the French & UK versions) while the other has a listed time of 108 mins...

Dazza.
Old 10-17-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and, as we all know from bitter experience, the information given by amazon does not exactly shine in the 'correct' department...

...fwiw: afaik the French do not ever 'cut' a movie... in worst cases they will simply 'ban' it outright (e.g. "Baise-moi")...

...and still fwiw the 'Alternate versions' site on the IMDb has this to say:
The laserdisc (unrated) version contains a different lesbian love scene that is a few seconds longer than the original. The unrated version runs 109 min.

. . . . . .
Old 10-18-02, 06:52 PM

I recall listening to the US commentary that the Wachowski
brothers were annoyed that a few moments violence had been cut of the UK version compared with the American cut..
Old 10-19-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

All that I could say is that the US version does not look that good...period.