Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bon Jovi Can't Bounce King From Billboard Throne

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: What upcoming new release(s) are looking forward to the most?
Shania Twain "Up!"
4.55%
TLC "3D"
4.55%
Santana "Shaman"
0%
Mariah Carey "Mariah"
4.55%
Matchbox Twenty "More Than You Think You Are"
9.09%
Pearl Jam "Riot Act"
31.82%
Christina Aguilera "Stripped"
9.09%
George Harrison "Brainwashed"
9.09%
Guns 'N Roses "Chinese Democracy"
18.18%
Other / None of the Above
36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three weeks running and the King won't relinquish his throne.

Elvis Presley's Elvis 30 #1 Hits will rule the Billboard albums chart for the third straight week, according to SoundScan figures released Wednesday (October 16). Last week's sales total of more than 205,000 copies pushed Presley's best-of collection past the 1 million mark.

Elvis remains king despite an impressive chart debut from Bon Jovi, whose eighth album, Bounce, will take the #2 position. Thanks to first single "Everyday" and a slew of media moments, including a special Times Square concert to kick off the 2002 NFL season, the New Jersey rockers moved more than 159,000 copies of their follow-up to 2000's Crush.

The Rolling Stones' greatest-hits amalgam, Forty Licks, will drop a spot to #3, selling more than 146,000 last week; while Avril Lavigne's Let Go will re-enter the top five by moving up two places to #4 and selling more than 112,000.

Tom Petty's 13th album of his 26-year career (and 10th with his band the Heartbreakers), The Last DJ, will land at #9 after its first week in stores. Met with favorable reviews, the album, much of which lambastes the music industry, sold more than 74,000 copies, ironically on the back of airplay for the album's title song, a swipe at radio's rampant consolidation.

1. Elvis Presley, Elvis 30 #1 Hits
2. Bon Jovi, Bounce
3. The Rolling Stones, Forty Licks
4. Avril Lavigne, Let Go
5. Nelly, Nellyville
6. Dixie Chicks, Home
7. Eminem, The Eminem Show
8. Xzibit, Man Vs. Machine
9. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, The Last DJ
10. American Idol - Greatest Moments

"The Red" looks to put Chicago rock trio Chevelle in the black. Their second album — and first for a major label — Wonder What's Next, sold more than 60,000 copies out of the gate to occupy the #14 spot.

Jurassic 5 may finally lose the qualifier "underground hip-hop," as the sextet's second album, Power in Numbers, will come in at #15. The follow-up to 2000's Quality Control gave close chase to Chevelle but ultimately fell short by a little more than 1,000 copies.

The greatest gainer on next week's chart, Josh Groban, was reintroduced to "The Oprah Winfrey Show" viewers when the episode in which he was featured was rebroadcast Friday (October 11). And just as it did when it premiered in July, Groban's episode brought a retail goose to his self-titled debut. The album more than doubled its weekly sales, from 21,000 to 45,000, while it will advance 29 spots to #19.

The second coming of J.Lo, Jennifer Love Hewitt, will assume the #37 spot with her third album, Bare Naked. Coinciding with the screening of "The Tuxedo," her feature film co-starring Jackie Chan, and a revealing Rolling Stone cover story, the former "Party of Five" actress moved more than 27,000 copies.

Other notable debuts on next week's chart include Australian six-string slinger Keith Urban's Golden Road at #11; R&B singer Heather Headley's This Is Who I Am at #38; Rasta-friendly rap-rockers Kottonmouth Kings' fifth album, Rollin' Stoned, at #51; Ben Folds' collection of concert cuts Ben Folds Live at #60; Gov't Mule's The Deep End Vol. 2, the jam band's second LP with guest bassists filling in for the late Allen Woody, at #117; Sinead O'Connor's Sean-Nos Nua at #139; and Sammy Hagar and the Waboritas' Not 4 Sale at #181.
Old 10-16-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So, nearly half of the top 10 is now made of artists who have been around for at least 20 years (Elvis, Stones, Bon Jovi, Petty). Hell, the Stones and Elvis have been around for 40 years. The music industry is so quick to blame its woes on the internet and file sharing. Judging by the top 10, I'd say a much better indication is simply that no new, good popular music is being released.
Old 10-16-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
at least the kids are actually listening to good music from the good days (now if zeppelin could release a good 2 disc set with all of their hits, id be happy)
Old 10-16-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
at least the kids are actually listening to good music from the good days (now if zeppelin could release a good 2 disc set with all of their hits, id be happy)
they DID about 2 years ago, but the 2 discs are sold separately
Early Days: The Best of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1
1. Good Times Bad Times
2. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
3. Dazed and Confused
4. Communication Breakdown
5. Whole Lotta Love
6. What Is and What Should Never Be
7. Immigrant Song
8. Since I've Been Loving You
9. Black Dog
10. Rock & Roll
11. Battle of Evermore
12. When the Levee Breaks
13. Stairway to Heaven

Latter Days: Best of Led Zeppelin, Vol.2
1. Song Remains the Same
2. No Quarter
3. Houses of the Holy
4. Trampled Under Foot
5. Kashmir
6. Ten Years Gone
7. Achilles Last Stand
8. Nobody's Fault But Mine
9. All My Love
10. In the Evening

BTW, I love "Bounce"
Old 10-17-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
they DID about 2 years ago, but the 2 discs are sold separately
Early Days: The Best of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1
1. Good Times Bad Times
2. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
3. Dazed and Confused
4. Communication Breakdown
5. Whole Lotta Love
6. What Is and What Should Never Be
7. Immigrant Song
8. Since I've Been Loving You
9. Black Dog
10. Rock & Roll
11. Battle of Evermore
12. When the Levee Breaks
13. Stairway to Heaven

Latter Days: Best of Led Zeppelin, Vol.2
1. Song Remains the Same
2. No Quarter
3. Houses of the Holy
4. Trampled Under Foot
5. Kashmir
6. Ten Years Gone
7. Achilles Last Stand
8. Nobody's Fault But Mine
9. All My Love
10. In the Evening

BTW, I love "Bounce"
those 2 sets are missing alot of songs (i think they could fit these songs on those discs.) here are some of the major radio songs that the set is missing
disc 1
thank you
heartbreaker
ling loving maid
ramble on
misty mountain hop

disc 2
over the hills and far away
dancing daus
the ocean
Old 10-17-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend