Reload this Page >

Capcom VS SNK 2: E.O - A review

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-15-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello again fighting game fans, and world warriors alike zero here with another review.

It has been said by Psycho Gamer (who posts here when he feels like it) that I have a sick fondness for Capcom games, and that I could never speak badly of a Capcom game, because they are one of my favorite companies. However I was not a fan of the Dino Crisis series or the Street Fighter EX series. But aside from that I do love Capcom games. So Gamecube owner I bet your asking.."What in the blue hell does the E.O stand for?"

Let me reassure you it has nothing to do with that. The E.O stands for Easy Operation. Why easy operation? The Gamecube controller is not ideal for a fighting game like Capcom VS SNK, so moves, and specials are simplified to a single button press. Sounds good right? Sure it does. The same 6 Grooves are in the game(C-Groove A-Groove P-Groove S-GRoove N-Groove K-Groove) however there is a catch.

Upon picking any of the six grooves you must choose GS-Ism or AC-Ism. GC meaning Gamecube, and AC meaning arcade. The GC-Ism has only two buttons for attack both punch and kick. Borrowing from SNK games the attacks are pressur sensitive. Along with the GC-Ism comes auto-block, and you can use either the analog or smaller D-pad for movement. The small C-stick controls your special moves (fireballs ect..), all depending what direction you push the C stick. The z-button taunts.

Ok stop your groaning I can hear it all the way over here. I found this set up dumbed down, but remembered that not everyone has owned the Dreamcast version of this game or the PS2 version, and not every GC owner is well rounded in there fighting game skills. Luckily for that reason there is the AC-Ism. This set up is more traditional and allows you to play the game as you would in the arcade with no moves being simplified. While not as frustrating as the GC-Ism I was able to play the game comfortably...even though I had to keep looking down at the controller to make sure I was pressing Fierce Punch rather than Forward Kick. The analog joystick (depending on how well you've taken care of your Gamecube controllers) is good for hitting the angles needed to perform some of the SNK supers, but when it comes to jumping it can get annoying. Luckily there are converters that allow you to use PS2 controllers on your Gamecube. If you plan to go this route make sure you set up your buttons to match the control scheme.

Graphcily this game is no different from the DC or PS2 versions. All the music, sayings, and effects are found in this game just like the other two. Ultimate Rugal, and Shin Akuma are still here as well. Evil Ryu, and Blood Riot Iori are already unlocked, so no need to work that hard. Options are no different here as well once unlocked you can edit your own groove, and there is also a boss battle mode.

So on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being the worst and 10 being the best this game gets a solid 7.5. This game (while not offering anything new) is still entertaining, and should only be purchased if you dont already own the game. I highly recommend renting it before commiting to a purchase. To new comers of the series it will keep their interest, but to series veterens like myself it will be an act of frustration. Hope I've been of help. Play On.

-zero