Help me fix my new $20 PS2 (please?)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-15-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay,

So I bought a system off of a friend for $20 knowing that it was broken. I want to play GTA: Vice city, and cannot afford a new or used system for well over $100. In particular for one game!

So I needed a controller, power cord, and av cables. I got all three at best buy with a $5 off coupon for $37 bucks. So now I've invested $57 bucks into this.

So for all you talented fix folks. Here is the problem.

Everything works just as expected, power/audio/video, in great shape etc.. BUT it won't recognize a controller.

When a game is inserted, it simply says ERROR cannot find controller in port 1, please insert controller and press start.

So any thoughts? I want to fix this, I will not send it to Sony for repair cuz that is $100 which is ridiculous for service of any kind.

Thanks, I hope somebody can help me out.
Old 10-15-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

open her up. Inspect for any obvious problems. Did the previous owner have it open? Try to mod it? Look for any burnt marks on the the main board. Follow any leads from the controller port and look their first. Use a multimeter to test conections. If none of this turns up anything try replacing the controller port with another one.

You may want to see if anyone local can help if you lack the tools and/or skill.
Old 10-15-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, I went ahead and cracked it open. it looks as though someone either tried to or successfully opened it previously. Everything appeared normal. Nothing loose or out of place, no burns or anything.

I reattached the controller port cable to see if it was loose or anything. Cable seemed a little stiff, and had a noticable crease in it. I'm not sure if that is normal or not, it looked as if it was just bent back into the machine that way.
Old 10-15-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My PS2 controller ports are flaky. If I remove the controller and turn the system on, I have to try over and over to get the system to recognize that controller (unplug it, plug it back again, repeat). I've had the "insert controller" error once or twice during a game, but for the most part, once it recognizes it at the boot up screen, I'm OK.

Now I just leave 1 controller plugged in all the time. No problem since.

When I have the problem, it seems to help if I insert the controller very quickly. That may just be a coincidince though. The contacts on the controller look clean, but it does seem like the connection is iffy.

This happens with both ports and with different controllers (I borrowed a couple).

If you find a good place for replacement ports, please post it. Sony wanted $120 to fix mine.
Old 10-15-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had this problem sometimes with Controller extension cables. I put die electric grease on on the contacts points and have not had any communication problems since. This grease can be found at autoparts stores as "bulb grease" or spark plug boot grease. It's conductive grease. I would coat the male connectors and then insert it into the female. Re-apply as neccesary. If this does not help it might be a problem with the PS2 system board.
Old 10-15-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

cubanx:

actually I had some electrical spray stuff that i've used for other electronic components, I gave it a try and now they work!

sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO MONEY involved!

thanks for everyones help!