Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Windtalkers... watched the first 15 mins, before I waste 2 hours

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-15-02, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

please tell me it gets better than that.

I rented it and watched the opening scene (up until Nick's in the hospital) during lunch. From the onset (or maybe it's just my bias against him) I know Nick is the wrong actor for this role (or any role). The dialog during the opening ambush was 50s war movie cheesy at best. Not to mention one can already see that any sense of reality is not going to be part of this movie (how does he go from being surrounded by the enemy and shot down to lying in a hospital bed ). I usually like John Woo (although I haven't been too thrilled w/ his HW stuff) but I have a strong dislike of Nick (if you couldn't tell ). The basic concept of the story is very interesting to me, which is why I bothered in the first place. Is it worth the two hours to try and finish it?
Old 10-15-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently you're the only one that was willing to waste 15 minutes of your life.
Old 10-15-02, 03:12 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Seriously, I could have sworn in one scene later on, Cage
Spoiler:
turns around really fast, shoots 3 bullets and 4 guys fall down
. Seriously.

--HN
Old 10-15-02, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by vapoRware
Apparently you're the only one that was willing to waste 15 minutes of your life.
Unforuntately I decided to waste the other 2 hours as well... What a horrible result for such a great concept/story
Old 10-15-02, 10:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really liked the movie. It just worked for me, I guess because Nicolas Cage played an a**hole who you were supposed to feel for I guess? I don't know I liked it, We Were Soldiers sucked.
Old 10-15-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved it. Went to catch a matinee shortly after it opened one day with a friend and he hated it. I know I am in the vast minority, but it just worked for me. It was cheesy but I never really had a problem with that. For me it was entertaining for a couple hours while my friend was wanting his money back only half way through. Oh well.
Old 10-15-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got done watching this like 5 minutes ago. Caught it in the theaters and decided to test the HT. It sucked even more the second time around. The sound wasn't as good as it should of been, can't comment on the video (4x3), over all just horrible. Glad I had only wasted 99 cents.

Side note: Damn blockbuster only had P&S dvds for Insomnia!! WTF!!

IMO, We Were Soldiers is a way, way better film than this hunk of Woo!
Old 10-27-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I watched Windtalkers, I was ready. I turned off my brain for any good storyline or script, and turned on my brain for just visual eye candy, and just enjoyed the fact that John Woo was directing a World War 2 movie, and so i loved it.

Unfortunately, I didn't do the same thing for the latest John Woo BMW film. oh well.
Old 10-27-02, 03:00 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally posted by nemein
Unforuntately I decided to waste the other 2 hours as well... What a horrible result for such a great concept/story
I agree. I watched this last weekend and was thoroughly disappointed.
Old 10-27-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What the hell happened to John Woo? Is this the same person who made The Killer?
Old 10-27-02, 10:04 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by matome
What the hell happened to John Woo? Is this the same person who made The Killer?
Yes in deed, and the same person who made "a better tomorrow 1, 2 and 3." with chow yung fat.....
Old 10-27-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Since I have hated everything that Woo has done since he came across the ocean, I didn't even bother with this one.
Old 10-27-02, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Woo did pretty good with the short film "Hostage," available at http://www.bmwfilms.com . It still suffers from an only fair script, but it's short and contains an excellent chase sequence.
Old 10-28-02, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JustinS
Since I have hated everything that Woo has done since he came across the ocean, I didn't even bother with this one.
While I thought Broken Arrow & Face/Off were decent (thanks in a large part to the casting, and fairly interesting storylines), it's definitely true that his U.S. films feel kinda watered down, when compared to his HK masterpieces. I guess there's just a difference between Asia & America in the interpretation of action films. His last couple of films definitely have that "sell-out" feel to them.
Old 10-28-02, 03:36 PM
Banned

If you check DVDTalk's review:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=4764

It got 2 stars out of 5. Rated as a rent it (or wait for TV, I presume). It's not that I like movie reviewers all that much, it's just that I have found the ones here to be fairly accurate with respect to my particular tastes (and the commentary about DVD extras is nice also). And at least DVDTalk won't automatically give a thumbs down to tasteless movies like other high-brow reviewers might.
Old 10-28-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I must be the only person in the whole world who likes his Hollywood films as much as his Hong Kong ones. I love The Killer and Hard Boiled but nothing else he did in HK did much for me really. On the other hand, I also loved Face/Off and Mission: Impossible 2 and also like Windtalkers. So maybe i just have bad taste or something, but I love his Hollywood action films.
Old 10-28-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by SuperJim88
Yes in deed, and the same person who made "a better tomorrow 1, 2 and 3." with chow yung fat.....
Just FYI, Woo had nothing to do with ABT 3.
Old 10-28-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suffered through 1 hour and 15 minutes before pulling the plug!
Old 10-28-02, 11:35 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by ipkevin
Just FYI, Woo had nothing to do with ABT 3.
Well, my bad, I'm not as big of , ahh how you say? ah yes, fan of woo as you, so yup, I must've been mistaken.
Old 10-29-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I rented it myself on the day it came out and pulled the plug at a little over an hour. Glad I read the ending at moviepooper.com rather than waiting for such a lame pay off!
Old 10-29-02, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i know some people who went to go see it at the movies...they said it was REALLY bad....one of em said they wanted to leave in fact
Old 10-30-02, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by indycohiba
I suffered through 1 hour and 15 minutes before pulling the plug!
That's about the same amount of time before I nodded off. I was in and out of consciousness for the last 1/2 hour or so.
Old 10-31-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joeydaninja
Unfortunately, I didn't do the same thing for the latest John Woo BMW film. oh well.
Damn, that was awful. I liked the part where the girl answers a cell phone even though her arms are tied up. Ed Wood lives!
Old 10-31-02, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally posted by devilpants
Damn, [Woo's BMW film] was awful. I liked the part where the girl answers a cell phone even though her arms are tied up. Ed Wood lives!
Her arms were never tied up,
Spoiler:
she's just trapped in the trunk.

The BMW film kinda grew on me. On first viewing I thought the script was weak. The second time though the script didn't annoy me as much, and I was able to just enjoy the chase sequence.

Last edited by Jay G.; 10-31-02 at 07:15 PM.