Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Madonna's "Die Another Day" Video

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-12-02, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else seen this?

Easily one of the best videos of the year.
Old 10-12-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The song is absolutley horrible. Bond themes are supposed to be these huge sweeping number with orchestra's, not this techno garbage.
Old 10-12-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
The song is absolutley horrible. Bond themes are supposed to be these huge sweeping number with orchestra's, not this techno garbage.
Uh-huh.
Old 10-12-02, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
To each his own. I'll take this one any day over Garbage's "The World Is Not Enough."

And, I love Garbage.

- Matt
Old 10-12-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that the last several 007 songs have sucked? Not memorable that is. I can't even remember the last good one. "A View To A Kill" (!?)

Last edited by Daytripper; 10-12-02 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-12-02, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Daytripper
Am I the only one who thinks that the last several 007 songs have sucked? Not memorable that is. I can even remember the last good one. "A View To A Kill" (!?)
Duran Duran's "A View To A Kill" was the last one to even chart. It's also the only one to hit #1.

- Matt
Old 10-12-02, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The hiring of Madonna to do this song is just one more signpost that the Bond franchise is circling the drain. Again.

Stink up your own nonexistent film career, Miss Thing. Leave other movies alone, OK?
Old 10-13-02, 12:28 AM

Lets get Portishead on Bond track.
Old 10-13-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um

The Madonna song is only a different version.

They say the actual song w/ Madonna is a differnt in the movie
Old 10-13-02, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Phyre
That would require good taste and artistic sense, two things the Broccolis and the studio haven't got any of anymore.
Old 10-13-02, 03:45 AM

C'mon. You know Madonna can't do the same thing as everyone else. That's what makes her Madonna! I think the song is hot and the video is pretty well done too. She may not be everyone's taste, but I'm a die hard fan.
Old 10-13-02, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally posted by Phyre
Only in a perfect world. How cool would that have been though? I'm just thrilled they didn't go with Britney Spears or one of the boy bands. You know, Depeche Mode were approached about doing a song for 007 a few years ago. Don't know what happened there but that would have also been interesting.
Old 10-13-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd have to say I hated the techno version I got off LimeWire. T-ball, I hope you're right that the version on the movie is different, but I doubt it is.
Old 10-14-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not in tune with the song, but I've only heard it twice. I's sure it will grow on me. Keeping my eye out for the video.
Old 10-14-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like techno garbage mostly, but this Madonna song is zzzzzzzz.
Old 10-14-02, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by MatthewCho
To each his own. I'll take this one any day over Garbage's "The World Is Not Enough."

And, I love Garbage.

- Matt
On the other hand, I thought the Garbage theme was one of the best in the last 10 to 15 years. Felt the grand sweep of the music and arrangement really fit in with the other great Bond themes.
Old 10-14-02, 06:43 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
pet shop boys have also wrote a James Bond Theme....

I really like this video though, that's sexy... unlike Christina..
Old 10-15-02, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Brak55
On the other hand, I thought the Garbage theme was one of the best in the last 10 to 15 years. Felt the grand sweep of the music and arrangement really fit in with the other great Bond themes.
While it fit with the film, in my opinion it was the band's worst single of their career. A snoozer with no kick.

- Matt

Last edited by MatthewCho; 10-15-02 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-15-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If anyone cares, the style that Madonna is biting in "Die Another Day" is called electro, not techno.
Old 10-16-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Let me just say that I think the song itself is okay as a Madonna song, but the TOTAL ANTITHESIS of what a Bond song should be about. They are supposed to sound somewhat mysterious, not boogie-woogie techno.
The video is both dumb and clever IMO. It is clever in that it has a lot of Bond movie props and references in it (i.e. OddJob, the white cat, the golden girl), but dumb in that it seems more like a Bond theme video wannabe than actual Bond video. Also, two Madonnas having in axe fight is pretty lame.
Old 10-16-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I gotta say I like the song. I don't think it would work in the movie, but by itself it is pretty cool.
Old 10-17-02, 05:17 PM

from The Miami Herald:
BY HOWARD COHEN

Meet the newest Bond Girl.

Madonna, just Madonna.

Die Another Day, the lively title song for the 20th official James Bond movie, written by Madonna with coproducer Mirwais Ahmadzai, has generated such a buzz -- and massive Internet downloads -- that Warner Bros. rushed the song's release to radio.

Last week, Die Another Day debuted at No. 41 on the Billboard Hot 100, instantly becoming the biggest domestic Bond hit song since Duran Duran's A View to a Kill in 1985. (Can anyone remember such misfires as Sheryl Crow's Tomorrow Never Dies, Gladys Knight's Licence to Kill or Garbage's The World Is Not Enough?)

A CD single, with multiple mixes, and the full Die Another Day soundtrack, will be in stores Tuesday. The movie opens Nov. 22.

So how does Madonna compare to previous Bond Girls like Shirley Bassey, Carly Simon, Nancy Sinatra and Shirley Manson?

She's, well . . . she's Madonna. Ever the agent provocateur, Madonna appears to have had full creative control, making her Die Another Day the edgiest (but not the best) Bond theme to date.

The four-minute tune resembles a traditional Bond song only in its use of portentous strings. Both self-indulgent and winningly creative, the electronic-laced song reduces Madonna's voice to a percussive sound effect as flatulent synth machines stomp out the song's catchy, synaptic hook. Poor 007 isn't mentioned anywhere in the lyrics but Sigmund Freud is. Go figure.

''I'm going to break the cycle / I'm going to shake up the system,'' Madonna sings. No doubt she's already done precisely that.
Old 10-17-02, 05:21 PM

Billboard single review:

The theme to the latest James Bond installment, Die Another Day, is certainly a far cry from the melodic musings of Shirley Bassey, Nancy Sinatra, Paul McCartney, and even Duran Duran. "Die Another Day" in many ways picks up on the heels of Madonna's inventive, experimental Music—thanks to her reunion with writer/producer Mirwais Ahmadzai—with a predominance of squiggly blips and zaps and enough effects on Madonna's vocal to render it practically non-human. It's an odd number, somewhat disjointed, a bit nonsensical, and not so much melodic as a highly stylized jam—but one must never underestimate the motivations of the long-and-lasting Madonna; and sure enough, with repeated listening, there are enough clever goings on and a hook that sinks into the consciousness to make this a captivating journey.

James Bond purists may find themselves fitful that the traditional melodrama that marks such theme songs is remiss here, but radio jumped on the track weeks ahead of its official release, which will certainly fan the flames of publicity for the upcoming flick, out Nov. 22 in the U.S. On the horizon: an onslaught
of remixes.

Score another bull's-eye for Madonna.
Old 10-18-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So the music press continues to kiss Madonna's heinie.

I'll never figure out those sycophantic hacks.
Old 10-18-02, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Jepthah
I'll never figure out those sycophantic hacks.
I can. She's just about the only major entertainer in the business that takes risks, in that she keeps changing her sound. Love her or hate her, she's inventive.

I enjoy many, many artists, from Enya to Outkast to the Strokes. However, Madonna still stands out. Now, pop and dance music (or her many images) may not be your thing, but there's no denying her talent (musically, not theatrically). She's been around for 20 years now, and it wasn't simply an accident.

- Matt

Last edited by MatthewCho; 10-18-02 at 06:05 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.