Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record labels guilty of price fixing. Prices of CD to go up?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As crazy as it sound, because a federal court found three major labels ( Capitol, Sony and Bertlesmen) guilty of price fixing this has opened the door for prices to go up.

What's the reason for this "logic"? Well in the new Rolling Stone ( the one with the Women of Rock on the cover) there's an article that states that because of music downloading the industry is losing money. So they've decided to add "extras" with thier CD's. Those include DVD's and computer compatitble software. One of the more prominent releases to include this will be the new CD by the Foo Fighters. The prices for the new "enhanced" CD's will range between $18.99-$24.99.

Hmmmn, people already feel they are paying too much for CD's so now they are going to RAISE PRICES???? That's the kind of logic they use in the Bizzarro World!!

Old 10-12-02, 03:49 PM

True competition generally lowers prices. We're seeing this in the rebate programs allowing first week sales of CDs at under $10. Newer artists are often going for $5-$6.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for a DVD combo package. However, this should be an alternative rather than the only version available. Contrary to popular believe, everybody is not burning CDs.

- Matt

Last edited by MatthewCho; 10-12-02 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-12-02, 03:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what its worth, I think that between 2000 and 2001 CD album sales in the UK increased and so did sales blank CDRs (which can be used for ordinary data rather than just for music).
Old 10-12-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I bought the new Chevelle disc for $5.99 at Best Buy. If prices were like this I would buy a bunch more CDS. I wouldn't mind buying a disc from an artist I've only heard 1 song from on the radio.
Old 10-12-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I'm going to start openly advertising CD copy clubs in the newspapers where we buy one CD at these prices and then make 30 CDRs for the group.

I know they've been beat to death, but I think there seriuosly needs to be a boycott of buying CDs. If we could get everybody in the nation to not buy a CD this Christmas season, I think it might send a message.

That or the studios will raise the price of a CD to 39.99.

I have to repeat what I've said about Napster and the studios, they killed the goose that laid the golden egg, then desecrated it's grave. I hope the recording industry goes down in flames.
Old 10-13-02, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem I have with this is that the industry is not responding to what has been ticking off consumers the most for the past several years. And that is the fact that CD PRICES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH. They are arrogant enough to believe that a few token changes and a price increase will fix the problem.

CD's should be priced no higher than $10.99. No higher!!
Old 10-14-02, 12:19 AM

It's amazing how the movie companies are getting it and lowering the cost of DVD's on a regular basis while the music industry is totally clueless.

Let's face it, there is only so much disposable income and a higher and higher amount is going towards DVD product in lieu of other media such as CD's. Look at first week sales...I'm not sure if any CD has sold more than 1,000,000 in its' first week this year (Eminem maybe?) while the DVD industry regularly has first week sales of numerous millions for a disk.
Old 10-14-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the demand isn't there then prices go up just so companies break even. These labels will produce and distribute less cd's and raise prices. However, since they didn't lower prices when the complete opposite was true a few years ago, I'll be damn'ed if I will defend their cause. I agree cd prices are already to high.
Old 10-14-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally posted by POWERBOMB
If the demand isn't there then prices go up just so companies break even. These labels will produce and distribute less cd's and raise prices. However, since they didn't lower prices when the complete opposite was true a few years ago, I'll be damn'ed if I will defend their cause. I agree cd prices are already to high.
My demand is there, but the wallet isn't (sorta like the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak?)

There are tons of CDs I'd love to have, but refuse to buy at these prices. I've been buying CDs for years, but in just a couple of years I've purchased more DVDs. They're just plain cheaper, or a better value for the money.
Old 10-14-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
They keep raising prices, I keep buying only used cd's.
Old 10-14-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cdollaz
Bingo.

I rarely buy new product at a retail store. 90% of my CDs are purchased from used outlets. Within days, new releases are available as "used" product because radio stations, CD chain store buyers, and other promotionally-inclined persons sell their promos to the used stores very, very quickly.

If you pay more than $11.99 for any new release, you're a complete sucker.
Old 10-14-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by grunter

If you pay more than $11.99 for any new release, you're a complete sucker.
That doesn't work if a lot of the stuff you listen to doesn't get radio play.
Old 10-14-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by cdollaz
I cant remember the last time I bought A cd. I don't download music either.
Old 10-14-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I remember the first time I walked into music store to get something---Requiem for a Dream soundtrack---and found it for $19 bucks, that just pissed me off...Yes its on a small label (nonesuch, that it is a Warner imprint), indie-flick, soundtrack, etc...It still ticked me off...Now if I want something new, I really just dl it and burn it...I really only buy from my favorite artists/bands like Pearl Jam, Counting Crows...some whose new cd's I have waaaay before the are release date, I still buy....
Old 10-16-02, 02:55 AM

I remember when i first started buying CD's the list price was $13.98 or $14.98, midline releases used to be around $10 now they are around $12. What happened? Inflation? Don't think so, more likely greed!! Think of all the midline releases you'd buy if the list wasnt' around $13. I agree with the above statement that CD's shouldn't cost more than $10.99... period!!!

The music industy needs to learn this lesson. The price fixing is what led to the downloading sensation. Oh, by the way let's have the labels release some "good music" for a change?

David
Old 10-16-02, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think i will also start buying much more 'used' cds if i can't find the cds for $11 or less in stores!

Now if only i & a few smart people i know ran the record industry & even movie industry

We'd have....low prices..you know affordable!

Really Really get good artists who can actually play & write there own stuff...rather than just copying the latest band that happens to be popular.Probably put many producer's out of work who force a band to copy so and so & be like how they want them...we'd get real producer's who actually like the music & don't think only about the $$$..then you'd actually make more $$ if the stuff is good! Record companies should learn & live by that!

As for films....i'd completely wipe out the NC-17 & tell the MPAA to loosen up or goodbye & truly rate films equaly which means Indie films don't run into more troubles with the board than the majors

There'd be other changes as well...namely try to bring back real poster artwork instead of crappy cast/head shots...use real music for a change rather than only loading it up full of 1 hit blunder pop music. Actually greenlighting good scripts/films rather than remaking every other international film claiming to be our own...we'd get the originals for relase!

Have tones of variety of films from the usual,to much more daring material rather than dumbing it down for the mainstream...eventually things would work out & maybe people would like it

I can dream anyway...but it'd be a great thing to happen most likely.Oh yeah..OAR only releases