Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Criteria(s) for buying DVDs outside of US??

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-12-02, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen numerous deals posted here that requires me to buy out of the US. I have a few question on how it works...

My bank sent me a memo saying that if I buy anything out of the US, I'll be charged extra, a $30 dollar extra for conversion. So what happens if I went to Amazon.ca (or anywhere else that plays R1 DVDs) and buy, like say, The Sopranos? Do I have to get the Amazon card to shop? Do I have to manually convert the money? What do I need to do to get started and complete a sale?

BTW, I'm a newbie when it comes to out of country stuff. Sadly, I haven't step foot out to another state except for OR, NV, and AZ (I'm in CA), so thanks for all the help!
Old 10-12-02, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Criteria(s) for buying DVDs outside of US??

Originally posted by mrkent
I've seen numerous deals posted here that requires me to buy out of the US. I have a few question on how it works...

My bank sent me a memo saying that if I buy anything out of the US, I'll be charged extra, a $30 dollar extra for conversion. So what happens if I went to Amazon.ca (or anywhere else that plays R1 DVDs) and buy, like say, The Sopranos? Do I have to get the Amazon card to shop? Do I have to manually convert the money? What do I need to do to get started and complete a sale?

BTW, I'm a newbie when it comes to out of country stuff. Sadly, I haven't step foot out to another state except for OR, NV, and AZ (I'm in CA), so thanks for all the help!
You need to find a new credit card provider then. At most you should be charged 2% to 3% for currency conversion if any at all.
Old 10-12-02, 02:22 AM

Re: Criteria(s) for buying DVDs outside of US??

Originally posted by mrkent

How can you manually convert the money when buying from
amazon.ca? They only allow you to see canadian dollars. Any
one know if Chase (Toy'r'us) Visa card charge conversion fee?
Old 10-12-02, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Criteria(s) for buying DVDs outside of US??

Originally posted by Timelord
How can you manually convert the money when buying from
amazon.ca? They only allow you to see canadian dollars. Any
one know if Chase (Toy'r'us) Visa card charge conversion fee?
Currency Converter

Call your CC company and ask if they impose a charge.
Old 10-12-02, 01:45 PM

I agree that you should check out another credit card.

Also, "criteria" actually is plural, so "criterias" would be redundant. Criteria is the plural of "criterion." I'm not a grammer freak or anything, I just think we can never have enough criterion threads around here.
Old 10-12-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
That's really bizarre. I've bought DVDs from HK etailers, Canadian, UK and others and never seen a separate charge. I just use my Bank of America debit card for virtually everything.

Tuan Jim