Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Symphony X CD - The Odyssey due Nov. 5th

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been a Sy X fan for a while and the press releases for their new CD have finally went out today. Sounds like they're going in a little heavier direction which should be great.

The time has come for symphonic, progressive heavy metal to shine on the US, as New Jersey's own SYMPHONY X is primed to release their 6th studio masterwork, entitled 'The Odyssey', through InsideOut Music America on November 5th!

Having spent the better part of 10 years making a name for themselves overseas, SYMPHONY X have brought the campaign to the homefront, offering an 8-track magnum opus of intelligent, classically-influenced heavy metal music unlike anything America has ever produced. Sweeping melodies and technical prowess define SYMPHONY X's grandiose approach, while the dexterous & emotive vocals of (Sir) Russell Allen complement each composition immaculately. While previous efforts progressively became more complex & flamboyant, 'The Odyssey' sees the band refocusing their efforts towards lush songwriting and vivid expression. Comments guitarist/founder Michael Romeo on the direction of the album, "Right from the beginning, we wanted to get back to heavy, raw & aggressive riffs. We concentrated greatly on the songs, keeping them focused and heavy. This one is very in-your-face."

Recorded at Romeo's own home studio 'The Dungeon', 'The Odyssey' also features an adventurous 24-minute, seven-part epic that shares the album's namesake, a dynamic piece based on Homer's heroic poem depicting man's undying will despite all tribulations - an ideal paralleling SYMPHONY X's own history. The track encompasses the culmination of the band's versatility and influence within the realm of intriguing songwriting. Romeo elaborates, "Our love of film scores and classical music really influenced 'The Odyssey.' We aimed to incorporate as many things as we could to get our point across."

'The Odyssey' will be released in a standard version, as well as a limited edition digibook with bonus features. A sample MP3 of the track "King Of Terrors" is currently available for download at www.symphonyx.com. InsideOut Music America previously domestically reissued key titles from SYMPHONY X's back-catalogue, including 1995's 'The Damnation Game', 1997's 'The Divine Wings Of Tragedy', and 1998's 'Twilight In Olympus'.

In celebration of the band's triumphant new release, SYMPHONY X is slated to promote 'The Odyssey' on their first full North American tour, alongside symphonic metal heroes Blind Guardian from Germany. Michael Romeo confirms with enthusiasm, "We're definitely excited, this is our first real tour of the US! Sure, we've done Prog Power, some regional shows and small festivals, but this is going to be amazing to get out there and play with another great band. We're all pretty psyched!"
I should get a copy in a few weeks and I'll let you all know how it is.
Old 10-11-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember the good old days, when you had to import these albums?
Old 10-11-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That always bugged the crap out of me. Symphony X is a New York band, yet you had to get their albums in Japan cause no american label would touch them.

Reasonably the same situation now with Yngwie Malmsteen's new release Attack. Still no American distribution deal even though it was recorded here and is available all over the rest of the world now.

Mordred
Old 10-13-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just FYI: another way to get these albums reasonably cheap is to order through centurymedia.de. It's the Century Media record label's German site. I've ordered through them before (thanks, I believe, to Aghama's advice on the Iced Earth box set), and found both prices and shipping to be reasonable.
Granted, Inside Out records has now re-released most of their back catalogue, so it's not much of an issue anymore, but personally, I'd rather have the German versions.

anyway, back OT: they have an mp3 from one of the songs up on their site now: http://symphonyx.com/soundclips.htm It's at the bottom, entitled "King of Terrors".

Pretty good song. Definitely heavier than V.

added Of course, if I had read that article, I would have seen that you'd already posted that the mp3 was available....
oh well

Last edited by edclem; 10-13-02 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-14-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just go to www.theendrecords.com

Great prices and FREE shipping in the US and Canada.

That reminds me. I gotta place my order for this one.
Old 10-14-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Snowmaker
I just go to www.theendrecords.com

Great prices and FREE shipping in the US and Canada.

That reminds me. I gotta place my order for this one.
Sweet! Looks like they have a decent selection and they have Yngwie's latest for $13. Gonna have to book mark this one.

Mordred
Old 10-15-02, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just wondering how the big Odyssey epic on here is going to be.

For you fans of Vanden Plas, I've heard they are planning on doing a concept CD based on The Count of Monte Cristo. www.faroffgrace.com
Old 10-19-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

another new mp3 up on their site: (at the bottom of the page)

http://www.symphonyx.com/soundclips.htm#ody
Old 10-25-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got my copy yesterday and I've listened to all of it except for the big Odyssey track. Album clocks in at 66 minutes if I remember correctly, and what I've heard is pretty damn good.

Seems to be a little more focused on the song writing than on the musicianship (which is of course stellar). It's pretty heavy in parts and keyboards don't seem to be as prominent. I think the decision to go away from the concept album was a good one. If I had to pick one, at the moment I'd say my favorite track is Accolade II, but again I haven't heard Odyssey yet.

Looks like a winner and it may end up rivaling DWoT as my favorite Symphony X album.

Mordred
Old 10-26-02, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Mordred, could you do me a favor? I would greatly appreciate it if you could forward the name and e-mail address of your contact at Inside Out America. I've been trying to contact someone there, but haven't had any luck.

I'd love to get a copy of this CD to play and review myself.

My e-mail link is on this page

http://www.hitekradio.com/erikshop.htm

just click on the "e-mail Erik" link.

Thanks.

(Century Media has been very lukewarm in their response, but will be sending me a couple CDs, but Spitfire has been great. I still need to find a way to contact Santuary, though. They don't have any kind of contact links on their website, and their releases don't have their office address.... I haven't tried Shrapnel yet.)

I really want to check out this album from Symphony X - I'm hearing a lot of good things about it...
Old 11-01-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my copy in the mail today. Its pretty good. Its hard to judge on its first listen though. I got the Limited Edition with Masqurade '98 as a bonus track on it.
Old 11-04-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My review finally went up yesterday:

Long Version:
http://www.culturedose.com/review.php?rid=10004116

Short Version: ****1/2

Mordred
Old 11-04-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm definitely going to the cd shop after work tomorrow
also coming next week: Opeth's follow up to Blackwater Park.
Old 11-04-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by edclem
I'm definitely going to the cd shop after work tomorrow
also coming next week: Opeth's follow up to Blackwater Park.

My wallet is in its holster ready for both of these releases!
Old 11-06-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I picked up a copy of the new Symphony X today. If you are a fan of this band, you will love it! If you are a casual listener of this type of music, I urge you to purchase it and give it a listen. Highly melodic, intense, fantastic musicianship, production is rock-solid, I could go on. Great compositions and contributions from the entire band. Now I just have to wait a few more days for Opeth...arrrrghhh!