Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Has anybody played Burnout 2 yet ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-02, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody played Burnout 2 yet ??

I played it for about 5 minutes at Gamestop and almost bought it right on the spot. It was that much fun.

Was wondering if anyone has it and can give a quickie review...
Old 10-11-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Best racing game since Outrun. The recent trend of buying/upgrading/faux realistic car physics and liscenced cars that never dent had made me forgot how FUN racing games used to be. Burnout 2 brought it all back.

Not too easy, not too hard, 3 or 4 different modes including Pursuit, Championship, and Crash(which should be extended into a game all in itself). The sense of speed is great and you get the feeling of 'Im the greatest driver alive' as you weave through oncoming traffic at 120+ mph.

Now I wanna take another lunch hour so I can go home and play it some more.

D

PS. The crashes are fantastic.
Old 10-11-02, 01:47 PM

I really enjoyed Burnout on the GC so is this a good improvement?
Old 10-11-02, 02:35 PM

EXCELLENT RENTAL!!! I played this from 9pm-4am... that's how addicting it can be to keep unlocking tracks/cars.

Fun, arcadey handling cars. As you progress through the game you'll have to depend on drifting through turns, which isn't too difficult to pull off. Seems to be more consistent than the Ridge Racer series.

The game loads tracks quickly, simple menus, nice graphics, everything runs at 60fps. Replays use that "trailing shadow" effect, which doesn't look too bad.

All the vehicles are unbranded replicas of real world cars, and there's many to unlock.

In addition to normal racing there are also "point A to point B" races, which usually open other tracks, and pursuit races, where you chase another car in a police car. You disable the other car by repeatedly crashing into it, Chase HQ style.

Most accidents will have parts flying off yours and other cars. I don't remember if the first Burnout had parts flying off the cars. Of course, the more vehicles you get involved in the accident, the more money you make (money = score for level). I think the largest accident I caused was close to $1,000,000.

Music is forgettable guitar rock, and it gets louder when you go into boost mode.

When in boost mode, if you can keep the boost meter filled, you can extend the time you boost around the track. The longest I've been able to boost is 1/2 of one of the tracks, in an earlier level.

It seems the developers reduced the chances of a T-bone accident when you fly across an intersecting street. At least most of the time you can see the traffic and try to adjust speed accordingly.

I found what might be a bug. On the Palm ??? level, there is a portion where two lanes criss-cross. On the right is the green arrows pointing to the left (meaning you shouldn't go that way). I hit this going around 180mph in the Nascar racer, and the car slowed down, then started diving, and the city disappeared, leaving just sky. After around 10 seconds I was put back on the track. Ended up with almost 1000ft of air!!
Old 10-11-02, 08:33 PM

Wow guys, thanks. I appreciate the responses... Looks like I'll be 50 beans lighter in the pocket tomorrow..
Old 10-11-02, 08:45 PM

i just rented it today as well...the crash mode is more than wroth the rental...talk about fun!

My only gripe so far is with the driving school 101 thing. Its is IMPOSSIBLE to get gold on the last test...my best time (after at least 60 tries) is 36.283 seconds....and ya need 36 for gold.
Old 10-11-02, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by discostu1337
i just rented it today as well...the crash mode is more than wroth the rental...talk about fun!

My only gripe so far is with the driving school 101 thing. Its is IMPOSSIBLE to get gold on the last test...my best time (after at least 60 tries) is 36.283 seconds....and ya need 36 for gold.
I got a gold the first time I went through it... 35.868
Old 10-11-02, 10:57 PM

I find that very impossible to believe...do u get anything for getting gold on all of them? Did you do anything special that you can recall? I have tried everything, theres just too much ground to cover to make it...until I do it myself, or see evidence otherwise, im sticking with it being impossible to beat
Old 10-12-02, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by discostu1337
I find that very impossible to believe...do u get anything for getting gold on all of them? Did you do anything special that you can recall? I have tried everything, theres just too much ground to cover to make it...until I do it myself, or see evidence otherwise, im sticking with it being impossible to beat
I just got 35.099, and this is with bouncing off the entrance to the tunnel.

Here is how to do it:

1. When you start, head over to the oncoming traffic side. You have to stay on this side to build up your boost gauge after it runs out.
2. Hit boost when you get up to around 70mph, and keep the button pressed down until you reach the finish line.
3. You should run out of boost once, then get another boost just before the part where you go into the tunnel. I think there is a third as you enter the tunnel.

What helps is to stay straight on the part where you jump the hills.

(spoiler)
here is what you get for all golds:
Spoiler:
you get to drive the driver's ed car

I also got golds on all the crash courses. The two hardest for me were the airport and the t-junction.

(spoiler)
This is what you get for all crash course golds:
Spoiler:
A message indicating you completed all crash courses.
Old 10-12-02, 09:24 AM

i shall try it again....its easily the hardest driving course...kinda odd since the first 5 are super duper easy. I got golds on about 80% of the crash ones so far, the rest are silvers...that airport busses one is way hard as well
Old 10-13-02, 11:32 AM

Damn this game rules! I finally got gold on all crash modes, all driving 101, and all of the first series of championships....supercar rocks! I noticed that under options, all these cool cheats get unlocked as you progress...so far I have Runaway, Invulnerable, and one other one I cant think of. This game just blows away Hot Pursuit 2 in graphics, speed, and fun factor.