Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

X-box game suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-02, 12:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
X-box game suggestions?

Seeing how we have a great X-BOX Bundle deal coming out ina few days, what are some good games to pick up for it?
Old 10-11-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HALO!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-02, 12:44 PM
Retired

Halo is the one game that tempts me to buy an X-box.

If you're into sports, the X-box is the best system to buy sports games for due to being able to save on the hard drive, instead of using a whole mem card (GC) or a good chunk of a mem card (PS2).

If you like racing games, Project Gotham Racing, Rallisport Challenge, and MotoGP are all good. But you might not want another racer, since you get Sega GT in the bundle.

Dead or Alive 3 is a popular fighting game. I've never cared for the series, as the gameplay is shallow IMO. But if you like fighting games that are button masher friendly and make good party games, you'd probably like it.

The X-box is lacking in platformers. I had high hopes for Blinx, thinking it would likely be the second game (after Halo) to tempt me to buy the system. But the reviews have been mixed. My impression of it from the reviews is that it's a decent game, but not on par with the likes of Mario or Rayman. But I'll still try it out for myself at sometime, and it would be worth checking out if you're into platformers.
Old 10-11-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're into PC-type RPGs (heck, RPGs in general), I'd highly recommend Morrowind.
Old 10-11-02, 01:16 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Ive heard so much about Halo, but I havn't even thought about it... Ill read a review..
Old 10-11-02, 02:40 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I am so wanting to play unreal championship!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that'll be a excellent FPS for the xbox!
Old 10-11-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gotta tell us what games you enjoy. I just finished Spiderman and was pleasantly surprised Definitely worth picking up for $20 or so used....
Old 10-11-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is morrowwind really worth it? It's openended correct? If I do pick up the xbox soon(which I plan too) I would like an RPG to take up some of my time... plus I'll have JSRF and Sega GT to play with too...This is going to be nice...and tie me over until Zelda comes out.
Old 10-11-02, 05:18 PM
Banned

Some games out there aren't that great UNLESS you're a fan of what they're based on, like Robotech: Battlecry, Batman: Vengeance, Spider-Man -- Robotech probably being the best of them. Max Payne is pretty decent as a violent shoot-em-up. Crazy Taxi 3 is a fun light-hearted game if you don't already have any previous versions. If you like sports, the new versions of NHL Hitz, World Series Baseball and NFL 2K3 are top of the line.
Old 10-11-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NHL Hitz is OK if you like arcade style hockey with powerups and stuff like that. But some of us (like me) prefer the NHL 2003 style (EA) more simulation type hockey.
Old 10-11-02, 10:08 PM

Halo will definately keep you busy till Splinter Cell comes out. I've never ever had a game that keeps me coming back for more as much as Halo does. I hope Splinter does the same for me.
Old 10-11-02, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most defenitely get Buffy The Vampire Slayer, even if you're not a fan this is a great game. I just grabbed LOTR as well, the camera is pretty bad and there are a few collision detection problems, but so far the pace of the game, the little quests and just the over all feel of playing the books has made it a worthy purchase. But DEFENITELY get Buffy.

Might check KB before you buy anywhere else, we have a sale going where you save 20% on purchases over $100, I grabbed LOTR and NFS for $88 or so after tax... and that was with them charging $55 for NFS before the discount.

~Scheherazade
Old 10-11-02, 11:30 PM

I know this is kinda dorky but Spider-Man is awesome! It's worth buying for $20 bucks on Half.com Check it out.

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 10-12-02 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-12-02, 04:57 PM

Buffy is great, Halko is the best FPS on any console maybe even PC Prohect Gotham Racing, Rallisport, and Sefa GT are great racers and if you want to spend countless hours playing an RPG then Morowind will not disappoint.
Old 10-12-02, 05:04 PM
Banned

Some questions for the XBOX owners...I'm thinking about getting one (especially after the Rare announcement), but need some answers first...

1) I played about 20 mins of Halo, and did enjoy it. How long will it take the average gamer (me) to beat it? Also, what is just so damn cool about this game? Still haven't figured it out, although it looks pretty good graphically.

2) I never really followed the specs/features of the BOX. I know about the hard drive, and the ripping CDs (right?) and such, but don't really know anything else or any details. Any site that goes through this?

3) How's the 3rd party support? Better than the GC?

4) What are the announced big EXCLUSIVE titles coming out for the BOX?

5) I own a 20" TOSHIBA 20A42 TV (link). How will the BOX perform on this basic TV? Any cables I'll need to pick up on the side?

6) Anything else a XBOX newbie should know? I own a GC, and have eyed the BOX for a couple weeks now but still don't know jack about it.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-02, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Mike_AA
Some questions for the XBOX owners...I'm thinking about getting one (especially after the Rare announcement), but need some answers first...

1) I played about 20 mins of Halo, and did enjoy it. How long will it take the average gamer (me) to beat it? Also, what is just so damn cool about this game? Still haven't figured it out, although it looks pretty good graphically.

2) I never really followed the specs/features of the BOX. I know about the hard drive, and the ripping CDs (right?) and such, but don't really know anything else or any details. Any site that goes through this?

5) I own a 20" TOSHIBA 20A42 TV (link). How will the BOX perform on this basic TV? Any cables I'll need to pick up on the side?

6) Anything else a XBOX newbie should know? I own a GC, and have eyed the BOX for a couple weeks now but still don't know jack about it.

Thanks.
1) Halo is a fabulous game for lots of reasons. Incredible graphics (which will just get better for HALO 2) The game play is great, very open for a 1st person shooter. Enemy AI is fun, they'll dodge and hide as well as dive away from your grenades (plus tons of funny comments from the grunts). And the physics system is one of the best I've seen. Have fun playing around with grenades and jeeps.

It can take quite a few hours to get through depending on the level you set it at. If you're like most, you'll go back to play it over and over again. It's a total blast with 2 player co-op mode.

2) don't know any sites in particular. Check XBOX.com I'm sure they'll have stuff there. I did read a forum post by someone that had burned over 80 HOURS of songs on his HD before he even saw the HD space start to go down (in the menu display). They give you more space thatn you'll ever need.

3) 3rd part support is getting better and better. Next year should be great.

4) titles to watch for only on XBOX: Brute Force, HALO 2, Prject Gotham 2, Project Ego, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Substance, and BC (just to name a few).

5) Nothing special about your TV, the basic cables should work fine. XBOX looks fabulous on my HDTV so the basic should be fine too. Time to upgrade that TV!

6) pick up this new bundle deal looks like a great buy!
Old 10-12-02, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Buffy is a great game, but it makes a better rental than a purchase cuz it's a one-time play through game and it can be beaten inside a couple of days.

Halo of course is a solid buy.

PGR is better than Sega GT

Outlaw Golf is hella fun and really deep.

Hunter: The Reckoning is good for an adult party game... otherwise, get Fusion Frenzy or Cel Damage.

Even though alot of people like to harp on it, DOA3 won tons of awards and is actually a really good fighter.

There's a ton of badass stuff coming this holiday season too.
Originally posted by Mike_AA

Thanks.
1. What's so good about it is the controls and how balanced it is. FPS fans who scoffed at the idea of there being a good FPS on a console all changed their tune after playing Halo... the biggest problem has always been controls. I wouldn't say it's the best FPS ever, but for a console it certainly is... (before you start, you Goldeneye people should take your comments to a more appropriate Nintendo thread )

2. There are plenty of sites that go into detail hardware-wise, it just depends on how technical you want the data to be. I think the Xbox.com site itself has basic specs and a place like Tomshardware or anandtech will have one dissected.

3. Nintendo's 3rd Party support is picking up some, but they pissed off alot of Developers in the past and some soiled relationships might never be fixed. Sony has the best 3rd party support, and Nintendo's got the most popular 1st party titles. Xbox has a better 3rd party support than GCN though. MS is also trying to buy some key developers to make them 1st party, so expect to see some really awesome 1st party stuff in the next two years.

4. House of the Dead 3, Unreal Championship, Shenmue II, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, Battlefield: 1942, B.C., Project EGO, Steel Battallion, Panzer Dragoon Orta, DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball, Brute Force, Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing 2... there's lots more, but these are the main ones people seem to be excited about.

5. The Xbox will look good on any TV... this being a newer one, you can either go with the stock cables or pick up an advanced AV pack and go with S-Video. Xbox looks best on a huge TV out of the 3 (IMO using all 3 consoles on my 61" Hi-Def set). Someday you'll want a bigger TV though.

6. Xbox is heavy and sits nicely along with stereo components. The controller might feel a bit large to you... Interact makes one that's a perfect size if the S Controller feels too small. I have all 3 systems in my house and the Xbox gets 90% of the play time and the PS2 gets about 9% of the playtime and the GCN gets 1%. There's 4 people in my house too. The DVD playback is better than the PS2s and the Xbox will also convert PAL to NTSC if you have some region free U.K. disc you wanna get.
Old 10-12-02, 06:02 PM
Banned

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I just got that TV recently and although it's not the best, it does the job for a college apartment. When I go back home for trips to the 45-50" bigscreen w/surround sound and all (my parents have some good sh*t ) I'm sure the XBOX will perform like a champ.

I messed around with the S Controller and I really did like the size...it felt great. So much better than the original XBOX controller, it's ridiculous.

I am a big big fan of sports games (pretty much 75% of the games I buy) and have heard the XBOX is the best system for sports fans. My GC does alright, but the games are definitely not made for the system, and the XBOX sports titles just look fabulous.

Couple more questions: Halo 2...when is it out? Will it be way better? What's the "buzz" on it?

Also, I've heard rumors of Microsoft NOT doing well with the system (hence the price drop at E3 and now this). Will this system last? Although I loved my DC, I will not appreciate another failed system like that again.
Old 10-12-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Microsoft just purchased Rare for like a quarter billion dollars and they're going after Capcom as well. They've already announced an Xbox 2 for the end of 2005 to compete with the PS3. They haven't released any sales data since June, and the PS2 and GCN both released some "units shipped" numbers recently and if you compare the Xbox June data to the September PS2 and GCN data it looks like the Xbox is in the dumper, but I'm sure it's keeping pace with the GCN at least. The Xbox isn't doing so well in Japan, but interest is growing. I wouldn't worry about the Xbox going Sega on you.
Old 10-12-02, 06:36 PM

Hey trigger I agree with almost everything you said but consider a much stronger title then one just to be rented expecially since you can unlock the areena mode and battle up to four friends at the same time as any character
Old 10-12-02, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by drexel
Hey trigger I agree with almost everything you said but consider a much stronger title then one just to be rented expecially since you can unlock the areena mode and battle up to four friends at the same time as any character
You talking about Buffy? If so, then there ya go. I didn't know that. I still might purchase it used in the future even though I just about finished it before returning it to blockbuster.
Old 10-12-02, 09:59 PM

http://www.stormpages.com/phunkking/buffy/btvs.html
above is a link that explains all the cool stuff related with the arena mode in Buffy