Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nhl 2003: Smooove!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nhl 2003: Smooove!

I have to say...and this is based off playing the Xbox Version...

NHL 2003 is just so nice and smooth. It finally has a franchise mode, and is just a gorgeous game that plays very very smooth.

My only complaint thus far is my complaint every year...5 games in you've heard every color comment the game has to offer...you think they'd program a few hundred comments in, but noooooooooo

oh, and another complaint...some of the players are rated way way too high...
Old 10-09-02, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just got the Ps2 version, and so far so good.

It is a little strange that in the default settings ALL of the penalties are turned off and the default camera is a little too close for comfort. It's also a Ps2 memory hog -- 2,500 Kb!!

Other than that, I would highly recommend this game.
Old 10-10-02, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went out looking for this today for the xbox but both CC and BB didn't get any in yesterday but said they both should have it by Friday. Hopefully I'll get it then.
Old 10-10-02, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i have it for gamecube. very good title. i've been enjoying it. i like the ability to do the "manual deek" with the c stick. pretty cool. graphics are amazing, gameplay is good. two
Old 10-10-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have 2002 and it has a franchise mode for the PS2,gonna pick this up this week I think.
Old 10-10-02, 11:43 PM

I frigging hate the trade system. There's no way to override it. Just try to pull off the Drury - morris trade...it doesn't work. Yet, I'm able to pry Drury from the Avs to the Pens with Josef Beranek...

What in the hell rosters did they use for this game? And what moron did the ratings, which are so bad that Jay Pandolfo, yes, JAY PANDOLFO is leading the league 5 games in with 14 goals.
Old 10-11-02, 01:47 AM

Yeah, the rosters are horrible. They have guys on the Columbus Blue Jackets who didn't even make their team in their first season, 3, YES 3 years ago still on the roster. Plus guys they traded at the beginning of the last seaon are still there, but trades and free-agent signings from this past off-season are all in there.

A few other problems, like someone mentioned the camera is horrible, but my biggest problem is the lack of controls from last year. Where is the spin button? Where is the dump pass option? How am I suppost to clear the puck out of the zone if I need a line change? Am I just suppost to shoot it on the other goalie?
Old 10-11-02, 06:37 PM

Okay...I'm slowly changing my opinion on this game...I'm really starting to think this blows compared to the 2002 version...and I'm really looking forward to Sega's NHL2k3 next month...this game has all kinds of control issues. Is it even possible to poke check?
Old 10-11-02, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

after whats been said so far it looks like i'll be renting this first
Old 10-11-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TaTTooD
after whats been said so far it looks like i'll be renting this first
Just what I was going to post. Now I'm a bit happy that CC and BB were out of this when I went in a few days back.
Old 10-11-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Picked up the PC version last night. So far I'm still getting used to it. My first two games didn't go as well as I would have liked. The default speed is too slow for me; thankfully you can change it.

The interface is a little wacky, but probably because I'm not used to it.

The game sure looks good though.
Old 10-11-02, 11:00 PM

I was wondering when the tide would turn on these reactions. I didn't want to be the first here, since I evangelize NHL2k2/2k3 at every other forum I post at... since only 30,000 copies of DC 2k2 sold, I figure this series needs more word-of-mouth than any other. But the time has come :

NHL 2k3 should be the easiest sports game decision of the year. 2k2 so thoroughly manhandled NHL 2002 in every facet of the sport that there was no way EA was going to catch up in quality to Sega/Treyarch's effort.

Most hockey gamers were wary over the summer as NHL 2003's producer, Dave Warfield, gave interviews where he touted the biggest improvement, the Game Breaker. Perform enough dekes to fill up a meter, then activate the Game Breaker, where your player with the puck is lit up by spotlights while all other action slows down, Matrix-style. Then, in his next breath, Warfield would announce gamers can turn this feature off.

Thinking about this for five seconds should reveal a problem... why would the biggest "improvement" be something players have the option of turning off? NHL 2k3 is adding 100% physics-based results (no percentage-based anything), pinning players against the boards, and one-timers off loose pucks. Nobody would dream about not playing with any of these real improvements.

Everything wrong with the NHL series currently reflects Warfield's opinion that trying to represent "real-life" hockey would not be fun. In his eyes, most people want a game filled with breakaways, high scores, and unrealistically big hits.

So Treyarch, building on Black Box's 2k base, had two years to craft a fun, yet realistic, game, and they blew by NHL 2002 like it was standing still.

Now, if you go to just about any forum, you'll see most people are dismayed by EA's just-released game. They believe the series is sliding backwards at an ever-increasing pace.

Meanwhile, Sega stands almost ready with a game that, depending on just how well Treyarch implements their improvements, should easily stretch the gap in quality between the two even further. If hockey was a bigger sport in the US, I have no doubt 2k3 would be getting 'potential sports game of the year' writeups in previews. The base established in 2k2 was that good.

For feedback and opinions from hockey gamers (and an an occasional 2k3 developer), visit either of these hockey forums:

Treayarch (NHL 2k2/2k3) forum:
http://www.treyarch.com/cgi-bin/yabb...board=nhl2k2_b

Thunderpuck (EA-affiliated) forums:
http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/%7Ethunderpuck/forum/

Last edited by mr.snowmizer; 10-11-02 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-11-02, 11:47 PM

Yeah this game sucks. I'm going to try and trade it or exchange it at EB.
Old 10-12-02, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i never played 2k2 but i find it a little hard to believe that it "blew by NHL 2002 like it was standing still" considering NHL2002 was an incredible game
Old 10-12-02, 10:56 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by TaTTooD
i never played 2k2 but i find it a little hard to believe that it "blew by NHL 2002 like it was standing still" considering NHL2002 was an incredible game
Agreed, sounds like someone is street teaming it for NHL2k2 and 2k3.

That being said, I absolutely hated NHL2K and 2K2. Sure it looked nice, but the gameplay overall was horrible in my mind. I've tried to block it out of my mind how bad the players looked while skating down the ice, looked like they were skating with sticks up their asses. It looked unnatural, not real. I haven't played it in forever so I'm not fresh on why I hated it so, but the only good thing 2K2 did was put Drury on the cover
Old 10-12-02, 02:14 PM

Anybody who played both and preferred NHL 2002 to 2k2 is in a distinct minority.

This may be the only forum where 2k2's/2k3's superiority is even questioned. Feel free to go to any other... Treyarch's (you'd expect it there), Thunderpuck's, Operation Sports', Gamefaqs',...
Old 10-15-02, 02:59 PM

One of the most accurate sports game reviews I've read at a non-sports gaming site can be found here...

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/re...2&game=nhl2003

Sega’s NHL 2K2 took over the simulation side of things, with realistic speeds, physics and deflections, strategies, shot totals and AI behaviour that actually reflected how real hockey is played. Of course, it was on Dreamcast, which means fewer people were exposed to it, but still – a new, deadlier simulation was available. Playing NHL 2K2 was like the sun breaking through the clouds – I didn’t realize how grey the weather was until I saw the light.

It gives me hope after seeing the review/rewritten press release at Gamespot, where the writer, Mr. Beers (after apparently drinking a few too many ) raves about what a simulation EA has made, and always has made, then includes things like 'Your AI teammates will go offside... you'll want to turn offsides off'. lol

When I previously said feel free to check any forum, I don't think I mentioned Gaming-Age's, but for an accurate reaction to that GS review, head here...

http://pub111.ezboard.com/fgamingage...ID=19944.topic

Last edited by mr.snowmizer; 10-15-02 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-15-02, 07:10 PM

I was one of the few who bought (pre-purch'd in fact) NHL2k2...

No, it didn't blow by NHL2002, but it was more realistic in terms of gameplay and rules and physics than NHL 2002 by a mile. It didn't look as good as I wanted things to, as I was already playing NHL 2002 on the xbox, but it was still good.

I'm interested to see how 2k3 shapes up. It has the potential to knock ea silly this year...I was drooling for ea's, and now it's sitting on my shelf, lookin pathetic.

I may give it another chance...
Old 10-15-02, 07:21 PM

No, it didn't blow by NHL2002, but it was more realistic in terms of gameplay and rules and physics than NHL 2002 by a mile.
Just how many miles would it have to get ahead before it qualifies as blowing by?
Old 10-15-02, 11:00 PM

I got NHL2003 for the pc......it's kinda different from last year, maybe a little harder as I lost my first game, but that's good, more challenge.....I likes it so far, i've always enjoyed these games.....people always complaining and dissing this game or that.....I plan to get NHL2k3 for xbox, just to try something different......not 'cause I hate any other game.
Old 10-16-02, 08:41 AM

I had NHL2k2 for dreamcast and loved it. It was much more physical and a real adaption of what NHL gameplay is like. Lots of 1-0, 2-1 games. I will definitely be picking this one up based on this fact. The defense in NHL 2003 stinks. There is no poke-checking or backchecking which is a major part of hockey. Ive changed all the settings I can, and still cant get a good game out of it
Old 11-09-02, 11:43 PM

Since I know this thread exists (it's been etched in my memory that this may have been the only game forum where 100% of the members didn't recognize that 2k2 had already shot Sega far beyond EA in hockey), here's Game Informer's NHL 2k3 review.

By the way, describing Sega as 'miles ahead' apparently was conservative on my part. As you can see, it's actually "a generation ahead".

CHECKING EA OVER THE BOARDS

For 11 consecutive years, the only hockey game that I would even think about playing was Electronic Arts' NHL series. I still find it hard to believe, but this year, EA's reigns has ended and Sega is currently the company to beat. All of the changes that EA made to its series defiled what was once the most intense sports game on the market. Even though EA destroyed itself, there's a good chance that Sega's product would have crushed it anyway.

Aside from the fact that NHL 2K3's front end is incredibly deep and comprehensive, offering a host of fantasy options and online play, you can clearly see that the main focus was actually the gameplay. With smooth controls, innovative moves, and amazing CPU AI, it doesn't get much better than this. For the first time ever in a hockey game, your players will get in scrums along the boards, dive to stop breakaways, and reach up to snag pucks. It's a brilliant design, and a generation ahead of where EA is today. -REINER

Concept: The first hockey game to upstage EA in gameplay, graphics, and simulation options.

Graphics: The character models look good, and the animation is commendable.

Sound: Fantastic rink sounds, familiar ESPN tunes, and the worst commentary imaginable.

Playability: Silky smooth gameplay that is chock-full of player moves and complex team strategies.

Enterainment: Extensive fantasy options and online capabilities.

Replay Value: High.

The Bottom Line: 9.25

SECOND OPINION
This is the best hockey game this year. Franchise mode blows EA out of the water, and the gameplay is equally as fierce. Puck collision could be tweaked, but this is the one to buy.

KATO - 9
Old 11-10-02, 08:57 PM

This will be the last time I bring another proof of 2k3's superiority to those who thought I was "street teaming it" for Sega's hockey. Otherwise, the thread will stretch out indefinitely.

We at OPM are big enough to own up to our own mistakes. Here's how it went down: A few months ago, we reviewed NHL Hitz 20-03 and said that it was going to be the best hockey game of the year. We were excited because it was a great game, plus we were completely underwhelmed by EA's NHL 2003. At this time, we'd hardly had a whiff of NHL 2k3. But then we settled in for a few hours with 2k3, which turned into countless hours (this game is so brilliant), and therein lies our mistake. We spoke too soon. Forgive us.

Even our early version of Sega Sports' 2k3 proves that it's the superior hockey game this season. This game seriously rocks the rink. It's not somehting one can easily detail without playing, but every decision you make while playing affects the game. In NHL 2003, you can play sloppy defense and your goalie will bail you out 85 percent of the time. In NHL 2k3, sloppy defense turns any game into a blowout. In this game, like in real hockey, plenty of opportunities arise to take a chance.

That's the key phrase: like in real hockey.

Do you rush the puck with a defenseman even though he might not get back on defense? Do you try a swiping poke check instead of putting the body on the man? Do you play dump-and-chase with your most skilled players?

The skating is what you'll love most - it never feels bogged down in animations. Another bonus: The camera sits high enough for you to actually see the ice. It's annoying when, as in NHL 2003, the default camera is there just to show off the graphics. Who cares about the color of Eric Lindros' eyes? We'd rather see what teammates he can pass to. There's also a lot of play along the boards. Like in real hockey.

A lot of opportunities derive from battling along the boards to free a puck. You can even initiate different strategies for each of your four different lines.

If you've been waiting for real hockey, your wait ends November 12.
Old 11-10-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see how people can bash NHL 2003 for not being realistic. It's not meant to be realistic. It's meant to be fast and fun.

Both the articles posted are biased against NHL 2003 anyway.

It's annoying when, as in NHL 2003, the default camera is there just to show off the graphics.
Yeah, that's a valid complaint. You can change the camera anyway you like.
Old 11-10-02, 09:29 PM

Feel free to report any reviews in upcoming months that aren't "biased", stating 2k3 is inferior to NHL 2003.

{cue the crickets}

By the way, most hockey fans would think that a game which nails the sport perfectly would, inherently, be fun. But if not, Hitz has the 'unrealistic, fast and fun' crown claimed anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.