Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Are you more picky about games now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you more picky about games now?

I've noticed myself that I am very picky about videogames now. I've just about had it with platform games. I know lots of people still love them but they are all the same. Samething with First Person Shooters. I used to buy a game or 2 every month but lately a game needs to be a revolution in the gaming world for me to like it. I'm sure a lot of you guys aren't like that because you love games so much but right now there aren't too many games that tickle my fancy. Nothing coming out for Cube and pretty much just Vice City and maybe the Getaway. But even those are still redundant (sorta).
Old 10-09-02, 11:13 AM
Banned

Absolutely. I think after so many years of gaming (especially in this "next generation", the PSX time to now) you expect only the best from certain titles and franchises and sometimes they let you down.

But I definitely find myself returning/selling a ton more games than I used to.
Old 10-09-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm more picky because of time and money. To use your example, I like platformers, but when Mario, Starfox, Ratchet & Clank, Blinx are all coming out within months of each other, I have to choose which to play based on the amount of time and money I have.

Same with RPGs. I bought Morrowind and loved it, but I have no time to finish it, so I will stick with the FF series and any RPGs which supposedly "break new ground".

But to answer your question, yes, I'm more picky now.

stoolie
Old 10-09-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes! I find that now, I am making game buying desision based on cost/playtime requirements/and online capabilities. If I'm picking between 2 football games that are very much the same, I will go for the one with online. Blinx is the first platformer that has intriged me in a while, with it's DVD like controls.

Making game buying decisions is not as easy as it was when each new game just looked better. note: NES days.
Old 10-09-02, 11:50 AM

Yep, I'm WAY more picky than I used to be. Part of it is cost and part of it is time.

I am more willing to risk a purchase on a PC game since I can usually get those much cheaper. Console games so rarely go on sale that I usually rent games. Then if I find that i really like them, I'll go try and pick them up on ebay.

The other big factor is time. I need games that I can pick, play for a little while and be able to put down in a hurry (ah married life ). That's part of the reason I never got into Final Fantasy games. Everytime I tried to play it, I ended up searching for an extra 10 minutes trying to find a save place so I could quit.

Online games like Day of Defeat are great for me in that respect. I can log on, play for however long, then when I gotta go I just log off.
Old 10-09-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yup, very picky. Not buying much these days b/c most games are generic rehash boring licensed crap sequel.
Old 10-09-02, 12:10 PM
Banned

Time and money is, of course, the big factor.
Old 10-09-02, 12:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm very picky. Time is the factor for me, rather than money. I only have time to play one game at a time, maybe two, and it'll take me a while to finish. As such, I don't want to be stuck on a game that I don't like. It's one of the reasons I like this forum, because you get a lot of intelligent opinions from various viewpoints on different games.
Old 10-09-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm far more picky than I used to be, but that is in part because I own all 3 consoles and the GBA. Back when the NES, SNES/Genesis and Playstation were out I just had to buy for one system. Then the Dreamcast came and probably stole a few game purchases from my Playstation. Now I have 3 systems and I have to be choosy about what I pick up.

Money and time are a part of this too. Since I am a game reviewer, I now have to complete a game and not just cast it aside and come back to it as I used to be able to. Review copies would be nice so I can play the crappier games out there, but that is still a ways off likely.
Old 10-09-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've always been really picky... at the same time though - I can find things to appreciate about certain games that most people think suck. Having developed a few games myself, I know a little bit about what goes into making them... so I'm hard on games that look like they took little time to complete (whether they are good or not) and I go easier on games that look like they took a long time to complete. Plus, the level of detail and complexity are a factor. My roommate judges how good a game is by how cool the bathroom is in it. If the game has no bathroom, then it's only mediocre.
Old 10-09-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
My roommate judges how good a game is by how cool the bathroom is in it. If the game has no bathroom, then it's only mediocre.
If the toilets are flushable does that make the game stellar?
Old 10-09-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AgtFox
Only if there's a log in it and it goes down leaving a brown streak.
Old 10-09-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Funny how similar we all are...
Married life definitely cuts back on time you can spend with your games (in a good way). I find myself more drawn to GBA games that have instant saves for that very reason... it doesn't take up the TV, and you can stop at any time.

I'm much more selective in RPGs, mainly because there's so many that are coming out now. I remember back in the day, I could spend a few weeks finishing Phantasy Star II, because there was no other RPG coming out for the month. Now I have an incredible backlog of unfinished RPGs (I'll never get through that Arc the Lad set), and I can't even remember the storyline in most of them.

I don't think the price of games matters so much (I mean, games used to be even more expensive), but time and volume do. With so many games coming out, oftentimes I'll wait for the sequel, since I won't have time to play games right away anyway. Or wait until it becomes "Greatest Hits." Or wait for next year's Sports game, if this year's was only a minor improvement.

The only thing that prompts me to buy games right away are those weekly sales at Best Buy and Circuit City and Target. For instance, I was on the fence about Megaman Zero, especially after having just got Castlevania and Yoshi's Island. But I know I'm not going to beat 22.95, even used, so I got it.
Old 10-09-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would..........

I have always been picky about titles.

I can afford 3-5 titles per month but I prefer to choose games that really make me say: wow!!! I got to have this game!
Old 10-09-02, 04:12 PM

Mostly wait for "Greatest Hits".
Sometimes after reading reviews online, it looks like a most have game. Then I would use a Hollywood Video coupon (99 cents) and rent it and not being as impressed or fun as I thought. So I save money.
Old 10-09-02, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im very picky with buying games for a console. I rarely every buy any for the simple fact most are usually a let down. During the NEs/Gensisis days i had a huge video game collection. 300 NES games huge and i was younger. Pretty much anytime someone asked me what i wanted for a holiday, birthday, good report card and so on It was a NES game.

I had a PS for a short while and traded for a N64 which had 4 games i liked and played a lot. My brother bought a dreamcast which actually had the most games ive played since the NEs/Gen era. I had a PS2 but i didnt like the games so i got a gamecube.
Im also really into buying DVD's so it dosnt leave $$ for many games.
I have SW:Rogue leader and i just bought Nascar. But for the first time in years I plan on picking up a bunch of games in the next few months(NHL2k3, Godzilla, Metroid, Mario Party and so on), .

capt
Old 10-09-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends on the price. I paid $10 for All Star Baseball 2003 and at that price it was a terrific game.

I'm very picky on $50 games. Mario and Animal Crossing made the cut easily for being worth $50 and Kingdom Hearts barely made it, but I returned stuff like NBA 2K3 and Wrestlemania X8. Both games were good, but not good enough for me to spend $50 on them.

So yes I'm picky, but it depends on price. Of the current new games I'm betting Vice City and Metroid Prime will be worth getting when they first come out, but other stuff I want like House of the Dead III, Sega GT 2002, and Star Fox: Dinosaur Planet will have to wait for the bargain bin.
Old 10-10-02, 01:14 AM

no doubt, i am wayyyyyyy more picky about what i pick up now a days than ever before for various reasons......jaded gamer...just seen too much of the same and such.......the cost, 50 buxs a pop ain't exactly cheap........and its doubly worse if the game suxs.....so yeah, i'm really picky now a days, for better or worse i only pick up stuff that would be considered "safe"...ie games i've rented or games that have recieved great reviews and such.
Old 10-10-02, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I am extremely picky.

mostly due to pricing.
Old 10-10-02, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AgtFox
By the way - I asked my roommate this question a few hours ago:

"If there was a game coming out and all you knew about it was that there was going to be a toilet in it that you could flush and it would have a big brown log in it that would stain the bowl as it went down, would you automatically buy it?"

His reply was:

" Yeah!"