Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DOBERMANN- Canadian edition- what's the truth?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone tell me what is the real case with this movie?

DVDPASSION lists Doberman as Pan/Scan and only a french language track, no subs and 2.0 stereo sound.

DVDSOON.com lists Dobermann as a 2DVDset including English susb and a 5.1 mix.

Both of the retailers have the same cover posted and they have the DVD as being region 1. I know that there is a French 2dvdset but with no English subs.
Then there is a British version that has an English sub added. So what's the truth....PLEASE>>>>>
Old 10-09-02, 06:04 AM

You like your Monica/Vincent movies, don't you? :-)

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that the Canadian R1 is French-only.

I also think it is probably 1-disc, as it doesn't have that many extra features (check the amount of stuff on the French 2-disc set at Amazon.fr; incidentally the cover shown on Amazon.fr is not the one I picked up but rather appears to be the UK cover!). I also think that there may be a dubbed German R2 disc available.

Dazza.
Old 10-09-02, 07:35 AM

I have the Tartan R0 PAL disc that's Anamorphic. Wanted the French 2 disc, but I think I read someplace that it doesn't have subs. Look in my collection link below for the cover art.
Old 10-09-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank you for your comment however the reason I am so confuse is based on two facts:

The DVDSOON cover is not anthing like the double french cover or the blue (single) cover.

This one only says DOBERMANN and has V.Cassel's face on it. I tried to upload it here but I could not.

Yes, I love both Cassel and Bellucci.......how could you not....
Old 10-09-02, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

http://www.dvdsoon.com/bigpicture.xml?uid=37056

Here's the link for the cover.....you tell me what you think...

It does say region 1, 2dvd set, with english subs.

I wll email DVDSOON but am not sure they'll reply so.....Let me know if you know more abou it.....
Old 10-09-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
According to a member of DVDenfrancais forum who bought it, the Equinox 2 DVD set is a P&S, no subtitles, 2.0 instead of the stated 5.1 piece of crap. Avoid.

So, here's a rundown of available versions:

French 2 DVD set: R2, Best out there, no english subs.
Korean 2 DVD set: R3, Very good, no english subs, same extras as R2 French.
Canadian 2 DVD set: R1, P&S, no english subs.
HK 1 DVD: R0, P&S, english subs
UK 1 DVD: R2, Widescreen, english subs

So the UK Tartan is the only choice if you want Widescreen with english subs, but the transfer is not that good.

Last edited by eXcentris; 10-09-02 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-09-02, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by eXcentris
UK 1 DVD: R2, Widescreen, english subs

So the UK Tartan is the only choice if you want Widescreen with english subs, but the transfer is not that good.
I think this version is actually R0, not R2. Just in case that helps anyone without a multi-region player (of course, it's still PAL).

I think that German disc I mentioned earlier must be OOP; don't think it had English subs anyway.

Dazza.
Old 10-09-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I just got off the phone with someone from DVDSoon and they claim that this is a Widecsreen version of the movie with english subs. It comes from Equinox Canada.

I do not know what to think......hmmmmmm
Old 10-09-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Listing for amazon.ca:

Release Information:
Studio: France Film Inc.
DVD Release Date: July 2, 2002

Edition Details:
• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
• Language: French
• NTSC
• ASIN: B00006BSKX

No mention of subs.
Old 10-09-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
Well, I just got off the phone with someone from DVDSoon and they claim that this is a Widecsreen version of the movie with english subs. It comes from Equinox Canada.

I do not know what to think......hmmmmmm
I checked and people from both DVDenfrancais and MontrealDVD forum who bought this were pissed that it was P&S only. DVDSoon are probably just reading you info from the back of the box which appears to be incorrect.
Old 10-09-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank you eXcentris...in this case I WILL NOT BE ORDERING THE DVD!!

Period!!

(sadly leaves the forum).....
Old 10-09-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
I think the transfer on the UK PAL Widescreen DVD is just fine...
Old 10-10-02, 02:27 AM

The movie was shot Super35 so I doubt the R1 disc would be P&S, but rather unmatted. This is how the Taiwanese release was presented. The UK disc looks like poop compared to the French dvd, but subtitles are probably required by most. There are also non-subtitled Korean and Japanese discs which are quite nice apparently...
Old 10-10-02, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Furious:

Thank's for the suggestions however I REALLY do need to have the english subs as I do not speak french.
So, getting the Canadian release after all the info that was provided here-P/S and English subs- would be quite stupid from my side.

I am aware of the fact that there is a very nice 2disc French release but again: It wont help me a lot.
Old 10-10-02, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pro-bassoonist:

Hey, I go to IU too! My friend up in INDY just asked me a few weeks ago about getting a copy of Dobermann and I told him pretty much what everybody else has said in this post.

It's a shame there isn't any decent release of Dobermann w/eng subs... Oh well I've way to many DVD's to watch as it is!

I have heard the UK transfer does suck, though I've not seen it or any screen caps...

GO HOOSIERS!!!
Old 10-10-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Heliosphann:

Nice to see another DVDtakler from IU. Actually there are about 16 of us on this board(that I know of.....unless other people have joined since last April)!!

Now back to the topic:
I am a huge Cassel/Bellucci fan (as far as the new generation French/Italian actors goes). However, I have to admit that getting their movies on DVD (and with english subs) is quite close to being a "mission impossible". I have considered going through all kinds of "shady" Korean, Taiwanesse, Thai, sources which most of the time are simply horrible to watch.

On a side note, I also try to get as many of the French movies that cast S.Marceau, I. Adjani, Denis Lavant, J.Reno and many others.....but as I said.....with the French not providing any subs it is just impossible to acquire them. And believe me....half of the stuff that I want to buy from AMAZON.fr is no doubt ten times better than the movies we made right here in the States.

As far as DOBERMANN.....I think that I will be going with TARTAN video's release.

What kind of region-free player do you have? MALATA by any chance? Please, let me know as I am considering getting one soon.

Take care and yes....GO HOOSIERS!!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 10-10-02 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-11-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

pro-bassoonist, perhaps you should consider investing in some french language lessons.
Old 10-11-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ha ha, ha ha.
Very good pont. After seeing all these movies I want to buy(I'm a huge French/Italian movie fan) that does not seem such a weird idea after all.

But then, someone should come up with a DVD player that slows down the way the French speak....it is too fast for me!!

I still cant believe that this awesome 2dvd Dobermann set does not have english subs!!
Old 10-11-02, 03:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

As far as DOBERMANN.....I think that I will be going with TARTAN video's release.
pro-bassoonist: I just want to re-iterate what some of the others have said, but the Tartan release of Dobermann really does suck. I'm not exactly one who's picky when it comes to image quality, but the Tartan Dobermann pretty much ranks worse than a LARGE majority of my HK DVDs.

Also, the subtitles are white and borderless, and can blend into the background, which can get pretty annoying at times.

Hopefully, we'll get your expectations low enough about the quality that you won't be terribly disappointed .

Otherwise, I did like the movie and hope it'll eventually get a better release (w/ english subtitles) in the future.
Old 10-11-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Greydt:

Seems to me I will be not getting this puppy either then....IS THERE any other version which is widescreen and has english subs?

In the past some of the Scandinavian contries have been invcluding english tracks on their dvd's....how about a Dutch release?

Wow, this is getting rediculous.........Thank you for your advice!!
Old 10-11-02, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I just checked and AMAZON-JAPAN has another version posted.....anyone know what's the status on this release....english subs or widescreen?
Old 10-11-02, 07:05 PM

I had the Japanes disc for a short time before I cranked it.

Jewel case 5.1 Audio ZERO ENGLISH
French with Japanese subs
and Japanese dub track

It did have a killer Japanese trailer on it though

I live in Canada and have heard nutting about this new release.
Old 10-12-02, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gotta be honest - the movie is enough of a visual comic-book ride that it can be watched and understood without subs. I’ve got the French special edition and it’s a fantastic set that I would highly recommend. It does help a little if you’ve seen it at some point subbed (I saw it in theatres).

On no account buy the godawful Tartan release. A real POS.

Last edited by jonathan.e; 10-12-02 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-12-02, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...In the past some of the Scandinavian contries have been invcluding english tracks on their dvd's....how about a Dutch release?..."

...ahh... you just do not (choose to?) grasp the language situation in Europe...

...WHY on earth would the 'Scandinavians' - or the Dutch, for that matter - want to import-show-make a DVD of a dubbed-into-English version of an original French-language movie????...

...if at all, they would import-show-make a DVD of a Swedish- or Norwegian-
or Danish-, respectively a Dutch-dubbed version... and - trust me - with the possible exception of Disney (or other) feature cartoons, they don't (can't expect five-year-olds to read Swedish, Norwegian, Danish or Dutch subtitles, can you?!)...

...for instance: the Danish DVD...
...you don't know Danish, I don't know Danish, but if you look at the site you will see where it says: Lydformat: Dolby Digital 5.1: Fransk - now this means: Sound format: DD 5.1: French ... a bit lower down the page it says: Danske undertekster - and this means: Danish subtitles...

...see!... learning/reading Danish is easy...!...

...I also looked on a Norwegian e-tailer's site and my search for "Dobermann" came up with this message: Beklager, men kan ikke finne noe som passet ditt søk. Prøv igjen! - which means something like: Sorry, we cannot find anything that fits your search. Try again!...

...Finland and Sweden (and Portugal?) appear to import the UK release... Poland has its very own, polski(=Polish)-subtitled francuski(=French)-language release...

...I should get a life - I really should...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 10-12-02 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-12-02, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by greydt

Also, the subtitles are white and borderless, and can blend into the background, which can get pretty annoying at times.

I really agree with that. I found the subs on that version quite difficult to read, and to me this was more of a drawback than the overall picture quality. Go for the French double set, despite the lack of subs!

Dazza.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.