Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo is gonna come get me...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-02, 02:06 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Nintendo is gonna come get me...

Hey everyone. As some know, I have been selling some of those Air Hockey E-Reader cards. Anyways, I have sold maybe 20 on ebay, for $1 a peice shipped.

So I get an e-mail today from a buyer who paid a few days ago using PayPal claiming I ripped him off (I sent Snail-Mail, it takes a few days to get to NY from CA). He then says Nintendo is tracking down everyone who is selling the promotional cards, and will sue them. He said he called Nintendo, and they already have my name.

I literally started laughing my a$$ off at this guy, because Nintendo could carless about people selling these, nor would they put out an all out search of everyone who is doing it.

What should I do now? The guys card was sent, and Im pretty sure he is still going to leave me negative feedback because he was 'ripped'.

Also, he made sure in the first e-mail that he told me he knew these cards were free and given away by Toy R US, so I felt like telling him "If you knew they were free, then WHY did you buy one off me? If you know Nintendo is out to get people who sell, then they would want to get someone who is knowingly buying them as well".
Old 10-08-02, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe you're supposed to sell those for retail, sort of like the games that come packed in systems. But I don't think anyone's gonna sue you over $20.
Old 10-08-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dude, you're screwed.
Old 10-08-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SteveOVig
I don't believe you're supposed to sell those for retail, sort of like the games that come packed in systems. But I don't think anyone's gonna sue you over $20.
More like nobody's gonna sue you for $1
Old 10-08-02, 02:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The guy's a jerk. He bought the card knowing in advance that they were being given away for free, and knowing in advance that he would then turn around and complain. He's gambling that a negative mark on your feedback rating won't be worth refunding the $1.00.

So, I guess you need to ask yourself: is a negative mark on your feedback rating worth $1.00?
Old 10-08-02, 02:34 PM

I think that retailers can't sell the cards. You're selling an item with different rules. You own it and someone is giving you money to compensate you for giving it to them.

I don't think you'll be screwed. Tell this dude to walk into on coming traffic.
Old 10-08-02, 02:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

How did you get so many in the first place??
Old 10-08-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Nintendo is gonna come get me...

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Hey everyone. As some know, I have been selling some of those Air Hockey E-Reader cards. Anyways, I have sold maybe 20 on ebay, for $1 a peice shipped.

So I get an e-mail today from a buyer who paid a few days ago using PayPal claiming I ripped him off (I sent Snail-Mail, it takes a few days to get to NY from CA). He then says Nintendo is tracking down everyone who is selling the promotional cards, and will sue them. He said he called Nintendo, and they already have my name.

I literally started laughing my a$$ off at this guy, because Nintendo could carless about people selling these, nor would they put out an all out search of everyone who is doing it.

What should I do now? The guys card was sent, and Im pretty sure he is still going to leave me negative feedback because he was 'ripped'.

Also, he made sure in the first e-mail that he told me he knew these cards were free and given away by Toy R US, so I felt like telling him "If you knew they were free, then WHY did you buy one off me? If you know Nintendo is out to get people who sell, then they would want to get someone who is knowingly buying them as well".
Don't worry about it. Once in a while you always get a buyer like this who wants things faster than the mail can deliver them and complains about everything. If he neg's you , then do it to him too.
Old 10-08-02, 03:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Sure............Just like the guy from TY who invented Beenie Babies did not like the fact that they were being sold above retail. Even the free ones from McDonalds. UH right. They were milking that right until the end. In fact I think it was Ebay that killed that fad since the marketplace came wide open and only the truly hard to find were worth anything.

Demand for a product is a good thing that I am sure Nintendo is aware of. Now if you were selling counterfeit or falsifying information that would be another story.
Old 10-08-02, 04:30 PM
Suspended

Oh, Im not worried about being sued, I laugh at him really.

I got these free from Toys R US, the guy told me to take the whole stack, since knowone else took any.
Old 10-08-02, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can i send you a $1 and buy one??
Old 10-08-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That buyer is full of hot air and quite immature. Recycle Bin. Like Nintendo would disclose anything to him anyway. If they did contact you it would be a warning letter to cease.
Old 10-08-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree, you are not a retailer and can sell any personal property you own. Lots of "promos" become limited edition high demand items. Like free comics from years back, etc. He's just an idiot who either found out after he bid on it that he's an idiot, or just wanted to spend a $1 to piss someone off.

Last edited by sniper308; 10-08-02 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-08-02, 11:15 PM

It's not like Mario will drop by your home and slap some cuffs on ya and then demand shines back
Old 10-08-02, 11:45 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
can i send you a $1 and buy one??
Sure, Paypal [email protected] $1 and I will ship a card out to you asap. That goes with everyone else
Old 10-08-02, 11:55 PM

I'd block him from bidding on all future Ebay auctions of yours. That is where pissed buyers can cause the most havoc. Blocking bidders is real easy and many people don't even know about the option. Just do an EBay search.
Old 10-09-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sure, Paypal [email protected] $1 and I will ship a card out to you asap. That goes with everyone else
Just sent you a buck. Thanks.
Old 10-09-02, 08:17 AM
Suspended

I will blocl him for sure.

Deapool, Ok, I will have the card out today or tomorrow. I hope you enjoy it
Old 10-09-02, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there was a huge debate about this on another forum (i think ign?)

a little different. there's a code generator ion nintendo's website that gives you a free copy of soccer in animal crossing.

well i guess some guy was selling the codes out to others on ebay. a whole thing ensued and all-mighty nintendo got in and said that this was not legal balbalbalblablbala .... even though it's legal for you to buy the game and sell it on ebay. (so legal to buy sell game, but nothing in it? gimme a break).

anyhow. i think this whole thing is retarded. you post an item, if people want it, they bid on it. as long as they get it, they should stfu. i'll brb ... i hafta go check on my nyc air auction. this is one of my hot-sellers
Old 10-09-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by johnglad
I'd block him from bidding on all future Ebay auctions of yours. That is where pissed buyers can cause the most havoc. Blocking bidders is real easy and many people don't even know about the option. Just do an EBay search.
can't he just open a new account?
not wise-assing ... just playing devil's avocate and trying to understand the process of blocking.
Old 10-09-02, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will blocl him for sure.

Deapool, Ok, I will have the card out today or tomorrow. I hope you enjoy it
Cool, No big hurry. Thanks.
Old 10-09-02, 12:23 PM

Don't scalp and let people that were meant to get free stuff, get the free stuff, and you won't piss people off like this. I mean are you thinking we should be sympathetic that you were trying to make a profit on stuff that's mean to be given out to kids for free?
Old 10-09-02, 12:55 PM
Suspended

No, Im not asking for profit. Not every Toys R US has these cards, and not everyone feels like going from store to store to find this card. They would rather plop down $1 and have it shipped to there door, rather then wasting gas to find it.

I'm not going to provide the card and my service for free, $1 is cheap considering there are plenty of auctions on ebay selling for $5 or more.
Old 10-09-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nintendo can sometimes be funny with things like this, but I really doubt they're going to hunt you down and sue like you said. I work at a toy store and we have a Nintendo Rep who comes every now and again. She takes counts of all the display boxes she gives us for games, etc, and checks those counts each time she comes back. Doesn't keep us from snagging a few though, and she never says anything.

She does give us stuff she expects us to take, but often we'll get a box of stuff (like for Starfox) that includes items we may give away to the public and some that are clearly labelled in the attached documentation "For Employee use ONLY." Of course, who reads that? We had given most of that away before anyone bothered to.

The xbox and Sony reps seem a lot less stringent in the rules they apply to the stuff they give us.

~Scheherazade
Old 10-09-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

haha! eBay is the greatest place to find kooks! Seriously though, there are some really....for lack of a better word, stupid people that don't read the rules or auctions and just bid sometimes. I'm not saying all of them are because i don't know each and every one of their reasons most of the time, but it seems every now and then something ridiculous will happen on eBay....like the XBox Box, or someone auctioning an empty can of Coke, stuff like that .

I would just try to calm the person down if he is emailing you and offer a refund. If he keeps pestering you and keeps saying that "Nintendo is gonna bust y0r @ss" then I would just ignore him and report him to eBay. It would be fun to make fun of him, but you need to be professional about it (which i don't really have to say because it sounds like that is exactly how your handling it). I wouldn't think nintendo would actually do anything about it, i mean people have been selling those free pokemon cards you can get at E3 and in gaming magazines for years.