Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

IRREVERSIBLE (M.Bellucci)-when on DVD?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-07-02, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can any of the French guys around here tell me if there's a set date for this disc to appear on DVD? Perhaps any rumors....will also be great.....

Well, I am sure HENDRIK knows something about it.....so if you read this please let me know. I know that the European Press has been quite a bit ticked off about "that" scene.....but I would love to see the movie soon.

It also features V.Cassel......so .....should be a piece of work.

Thank you for your assistance,

S.
Old 10-07-02, 05:56 AM

I can't find any mention about the release date yet, which is a bit of a surprise seeing as it came out in cinemas here back in May. DVDFr.com have no listing, and Amazon Fr still have it listed as "currently in cinemas".
Sorry I have no real news but I've been looking out for this title too. Over to you, Hendrik??
Old 10-07-02, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw this film at the Toronto Film Festival, where Lions Gate bought it for release in the US... so we should probably be seeing a domestic DVD as well, eventually.
Old 10-08-02, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Now.....how do you know this for sure. I have done some serious research and Lions Gate as of now has no plans of releasing the movie in the States. I am not trying to question your source.....just am very excited....that's all. Besides I am sure that even if they do manage to release it some conservative freak will censor it......

Now....where is HENDRIK......we need some info here......
Old 10-08-02, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...sorry... I haven't the foggiest...

. . . . . .
Old 10-08-02, 06:02 AM

I've spoken to one of the European distributors of the film, and they've told me that Lions Gate do indeed have the film and plan to release it in the US in early 2003.

Dazza.
Old 10-08-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw the film just a feek weeks ago and it certainly is a piece of work. Unsettling and unforgettable. Many could argue that its replay value is minimal, but it has a spot reserved in my collection if only for the fact that it's a damn powerful piece of cinema.
Old 10-08-02, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank you so much for the info....January 2003.....seems pretty late to me but anyway.....I will be waiting.

If the French however come up with the DVD earlier, which I am sure they will, I will buy it from them.....since I have a feeling that LionsGate might cut a scene or two from the movie.
Old 10-08-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
Thank you so much for the info....January 2003.....seems pretty late to me but anyway.....I will be waiting.

If the French however come up with the DVD earlier, which I am sure they will, I will buy it from them.....since I have a feeling that LionsGate might cut a scene or two from the movie.
I was thinking the same thing for the last few months, but it probably will not have english subs.
Old 10-08-02, 10:28 PM

I also caught this at the Toronto Film Festival a couple of weeks ago, and must say that it was probably my favorite film of the festival.

Anyways, according to THIS, it was released on dvd in Italy in August. However, I can't seem to find any other info on it.

NZ
Old 10-09-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is really interesting.......I will be checking all Italian sites tonight....

LOSTATMIDNIGHT: Dont even say this for a second.....I will be so upset if the French release does not have English subs......which has been a practice for many French companies lately. O, well....let's hope for the best.

If anyone gets any info about a dvd release PLEASE POST HERE!!

Thanks
Old 10-09-02, 04:56 AM

since I have a feeling that LionsGate might cut a scene or two from the movie.
Gaspar Noe seems quite adamant that the film should not be cut - I think he'd rather it gets released intact in a territory or not at all. Also, the technique of using long takes makes cutting a film like this a little trickier.
As a follow-up to the subs issue: I would doubt very much that the French release will carry English subs. "Seul Contre Tous" didn't have English subs, and like many other French releases since that film, I suspect that "Irreversible" will be the same.

Dazza.
Old 10-09-02, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well... ahh... is there much (interesting, half-way intelligent) 'dialogue' to be found in this movie ? ...he asked, nonchalantly...

. . . . . .
Old 10-09-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There certainly is. Your tone sounds skeptical... I hope you're not under the impression that this is a film chock-full of deliberate shock effects and not one interesting idea? The film really is a very intelligent examination of revenge, love and loss and the deterioration of sexual relationships.
Old 10-09-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Dazza.....I certainly hope you're correct about Noe's intentions however....here in the States even some of the HK flicks get the axe. So....you always have to keep in mind.....and hope for the best....

Now with this said.....Hendrik: You know know how Cassel's movies are....sometimes tough to grasp and watch....but...I like the controversial issues he always grapples with(La Haine comes to mind)....
Old 10-09-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is really interesting.......I will be checking all Italian sites tonight....

LOSTATMIDNIGHT: Dont even say this for a second.....I will be so upset if the French release does not have English subs......which has been a practice for many French companies lately. O, well....let's hope for the best.

If anyone gets any info about a dvd release PLEASE POST HERE!!

Thanks

I know, my cynicism gets the best of me, but it is reality for French disc's....Though I do have Claire Denis' Trouble Every Day, though there is what, 7 minutes of total dialogue, 5 of it spoken English?...Either way, I can live with that...

If you find any info about the Italian release, please let me or the others in this post know about it...thanks!
Old 10-09-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

that's fine I will.....HOWEVER out of 8 sites I've checked so far....NOTHING!!!

Perhaps, this is a mistake that they stated IRREVERSIBLE is already available!!

Geeezzzz......What a day-first it turns out that DVDsoon's info about Doberman is 100% false....I even called these guys about the 2dvdset indicating that it is Widescreen and with English subs...and now this M.Bellucci release which more and more points out towards a mistake of some sort. I guess I am out of (lots) of luck!!!!!!
Old 10-12-02, 09:58 AM

I've just heard that the French disc is due out in December. Not sure if this is correct or not (it still isn't listed on any French sites that I've checked), and I have no idea of the specs, although as we've already mentioned in this thread I doubt if it'll have English subs...

Dazza.
Old 10-12-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank's......I will be keeping my eyes wide open....and be hoping for susbs....