Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas. Is this music?!?!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

What the hell is this insipid garbage? I don't keep track of the Billboard charts whatsoever, but I do know that it has been the #1 call-in request at a local station for a few weeks now. It's one of the most unlistenable songs I've ever heard. Maybe it's a new style called Anti-music.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-06-02, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, i totally agree i hate this song, it was kool in that mitsubishi eclipse commercial( for those who saw it) but otherwise the whole song sucks and is so played out.
Old 10-06-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: "Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas. Is this music?!?!

Originally posted by Norm de Plume
What the hell is this insipid garbage? ... It's one of the most unlistenable songs I've ever heard. Maybe it's a new style called Anti-music.
I cou;d say the exact same for Radiohead, Tori Amos, and countless others

Different strokes for different folks.

As far as the Dirty Vegas song goes, it's good in the car to drive to, but not something I'd go out and purchase
Old 10-06-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: Re: "Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas. Is this music?!?!

Originally posted by GuessWho
Different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-07-02, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's called electronic music. You might not like it, but its there. I recommand you change the channel of your station if your so pissed off that it's being called in a lot.

new style call anti-music?

Shouldn't Pop be renamed to "anti-lyrics" as it's all generic and corporate made.

then we should change rock (korn, Slipknot, linkon park to name a few) to be named:
"Anti-corp-mainstream-sellout" music?

I mean come on, whats with all the hate in the music world?

I enjoy korns and them's sounds, but you know. when you start dissing everything to be cool. it just loses something.
Not to mention that considering KORN and the other "metal rock" bands started the

"Pop sucks tour" I have to laugh and wonder when a boy band will start a "Mainstream-metal-rock that wants to sound indie sucks tour"

Kind of like how punk is really "sold out" considering how playing in a real venue with sponser ship from hot topic, verison wireless, coors lite, etc. etc. is really just selling out on every thing the music "represents"

you may dislike it, thats why there is so many other stations to change it to. I suggest you try checking out another station. maybe college, You will be surprise how much good music they play when they are not doing it for the ad dollar.
Old 10-07-02, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really can't stand that song either
Old 10-07-02, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is a LOT worse stuff out there to single out.
Old 10-07-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This SONG was pretty good....now i do agree it's totally played out. But i never really hated the track. Just got too much radio play and club play.

Check out the Acoustic version of the song....quite a difference.
Old 10-07-02, 01:35 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I agree with longfellow I heard the acoustic version and knew I knew the tune, but could not place it until the DJ said what it was good stuff.
Old 10-07-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I really like this song, and don't get the hostility. It's not like Britney Spears or anything.

The acoustic version sounds neat, is it by Dirty Vegas?
Old 10-07-02, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i also dont like that song
Old 10-07-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: "Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas. Is this music?!?!

What the hell is this insipid garbage? I don't keep track of the Billboard charts whatsoever, but I do know that it has been the #1 call-in request at a local station for a few weeks now. It's one of the most unlistenable songs I've ever heard. Maybe it's a new style called Anti-music.

Your thoughts?
Out of curiosity, what do you consider "music"? Perhaps a reference might be helpful for comparison here...

-matt
Old 10-08-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
I don't like much "mainstream" stuff, and I'm not an electronic music fan, but I actually like the song. Maybe I still do because I don't listen to radio much, so I've heard it less than 10 times (the video is what caught my attn).

But I agree with Jack, listen to college radio!
Old 10-08-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Re: "Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas. Is this music?!?!

Originally posted by raithen
Out of curiosity, what do you consider "music"? Perhaps a reference might be helpful for comparison here...

-matt
I'm not talking about musical tastes here; everyone has his/her own likes and dislikes, but this thing is so atonal that it barely registers as a piece of music, let alone one I can imagine anyone getting excited about.

I guess like all other forms of artistic expression, quality is in the eye/ear of the beholder. That's why someone can toss an old toilet with a shoe crazy-glued to its seat and plastic angel wings duct-taped to its tank onto the floor of an art gallery, and have people scratching their chins with fascination at this "profound expression of existential angst coupled with a refreshing vitality"; and why Mark Rothko can spend five minutes painting an orange square on a canvas and end up selling it to a "connoisseur" for $2 million.
Old 10-08-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: Re: Re: "Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas. Is this music?!?!

I guess like all other forms of artistic expression, quality is in the eye/ear of the beholder.
Not all music is meant to be a work of art at all.

There's this new concept called "entertainment" that might be catching on...
Old 10-08-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not talking about musical tastes here; everyone has his/her own likes and dislikes, but this thing is so atonal that it barely registers as a piece of music, let alone one I can imagine anyone getting excited about.
What isn't "musical" about it, by regular standards? It has a definite beat, it uses instruments, it has singing, it has catchy hooks. I can't understand what you are confused about? It doesn't sound like you are really confused about anything, but rather, venting about an overplayed song that never appealed to you in the first place.

I've heard (and am into) far weirder and much less "beat-defined" music. Its still music, even if it breaks conventional rules. Try listening to something like Tortoise...its hard to keep beat with their songs using two feet!!
Old 10-08-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I heard this song online before I ever saw the commercial and went out and bought the CD. I never listen to the radio, so this is the first I've heard that it's being played in the mainstream. Interesting.

It's electronic pop and it's damn good electronic pop. If you think this is atonal "non-music" I dare you to listen to some of my collection. Nurse With Wound's Chance Meeting on a Dissection Table Between a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella. 45 minutes of gorgeous noise that sounds exactly as the title would lead you to believe.

I don't believe in limiting the definition of music to some arbitrarily contrived list of rules. Just because something is atonal does not mean it is not music. You may not like it, but that doesn't make it any less valid.

And yes, Dirty Vegas does do the acoustic version of "Days Go By". It's the last track on the CD, though not listed on the back.
Old 10-08-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess like all other forms of artistic expression, quality is in the eye/ear of the beholder. That's why someone can toss an old toilet with a shoe crazy-glued to its seat and plastic angel wings duct-taped to its tank onto the floor of an art gallery, and have people scratching their chins with fascination at this "profound expression of existential angst coupled with a refreshing vitality"; and why Mark Rothko can spend five minutes painting an orange square on a canvas and end up selling it to a "connoisseur" for $2 million.
Let me try again:

You are certainly right to point out that all forms of art are subject to the viewer/listener/reader's personal perception - but since your views on this particular track are so vehement, I am curious to know what you deem "tonal", or what you believe is inherently "musical".

To be honest, I'm not particularily excited about "Days Go By", but I can definitely attest to the opinion that it is musical, and far more interesting (IMHO) than a lot of the corporate drivel that continually spills over the airwaves.

On a side-note, for some reason I find said song and Depeche Mode's "I Feel Loved" share an eerily similar sound. Or maybe it's just me...

-matt
Old 10-08-02, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by RevLiver
It's electronic pop and it's damn good electronic pop. If you think this is atonal "non-music" I dare you to listen to some of my collection.

I don't believe in limiting the definition of music to some arbitrarily contrived list of rules. Just because something is atonal does not mean it is not music. You may not like it, but that doesn't make it any less valid.
OK, I'll stick my neck out here.

I've been listening to music for most of my 47 years and there is very little that I refuse to listen to (currently Rap and Celine Dion...both hurt my ears ). The Dirty Vegas song is not, IMHO, atonal to start and I really like the production on it. Right now, it is a definite candidate for my pick of radio single of the year.

That doesn't mean that you should like it because I do...I agree with the different strokes comment. There are way too many types of music to expect someone to really appreciate them all.
Old 10-09-02, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I love the song and the cd.

I also enjoy that genre of music.