Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Toni Braxton's New CD.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Toni Braxton's New CD.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toni Braxton's New CD.

Oh, this sounds like it should be good...

It funny watching Toni's downward spiral from "classy R&B singer" to "average R&B 'ho" on her video collection. I was hoping this would be a good album...with the "talent" she has lined up it doesn't look too promising. [with the exception of her hubby who's from the group Mint Condition]

The album "More Than a Woman" is due November 19.

Toni Braxton Works With Gotti, Neptunes, Husband On New LP
By Corey Moss [VH1.com]

"Toni Braxton and husband Keri Lewis are making more than just a family together these days.

The couple, whose second child is due in the spring, co-executive produced Braxton's next album with Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds and L.A. Reid, and worked on many of the songs together.

More Than a Woman, due November 19, also features super producers Rodney Jerkins, Irv Gotti and the Neptunes, who handled the album's up-tempo first single, "Hit the Freeway."

Braxton's fifth album finds the sultry singer stepping out as a songwriter and experimenting more with hip-hop, according to her Arista Records spokesperson.

"I'm ready to show other sides of what I can do musically," Braxton said in a statement. "My first love has always been R&B, and I've been into hip-hop since it first started. On each of my albums I've done things to introduce people to other aspects of what I'm about musically. It's so funny, when people hear I'm working with the Neptunes, they're like, 'I wonder what that will sound like.' I'm just being a part of my own generation, and we grew up with rap and hip-hop as well as R&B."

Braxton co-wrote several of the More Than a Woman tracks with her sister Tamar, including "Let Me Show You the Way," "Selfish" and "Me and My Boyfriend," which is based on Tupac Shakur's "Me and My Girlfriend."

Other tracks expected to make the final track list are "Better Man"; the Lewis-penned, rock-flavored "Lies, Lies, Lies"; and "Always," a love song written by Brandy's husband, Big Burt.

Braxton, who released The Heat in 2000 and a holiday album last fall, shot the video for "Hit the Freeway" in Los Angeles last month with directors David Meyers (Britney Spears, Pink) and Charles Infante (Kurupt).

The singer is filming another video in L.A. this week, for "Baby We Can Do It," a collaboration with Cash Money's Baby.
Old 10-02-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Braxton co-wrote several of the More Than a Woman tracks with her sister Tamar, including "Let Me Show You the Way," "Selfish" and "Me and My Boyfriend," which is based on Tupac Shakur's "Me and My Girlfriend."
Good to see the that the Tupac dyck riding is trickling into R&B

Also is it a must that most albums in R&B are based on who produced them rather than the actual "artist"?

D'Angelo PLEASE comeback and could you get Tony Toni Tone and The TIME to reunite? I'm about to die from all this baby mama drama/he/she did me wrong/r&b thug/every track is sampled from something else crap Rhythm & Bullshyt has been putting out.
Old 10-02-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by tsohg
D'Angelo PLEASE comeback and could you get Tony Toni Tone and The TIME to reunite? I'm about to die from all this baby mama drama/he/she did me wrong/r&b thug/every track is sampled from something else crap Rhythm & Bullshyt has been putting out. [/B]
Amen brotha

But, this has a snowball's chance in hell of happening. I'm sure D will drop another disc once he gets over himself. TTT won't get back together since Raphael's ego won't allow it. And the Time still ARE together, but not in the original "Magnificent 7" configuration. I know what Jam & Lewis are doing, but I guess Jesse is too busy loading packages at UPS?
Old 10-03-02, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Classy diva -> Ho/Rap Wannabe

I really hope not but her first single from the new album leaves that impression.
Old 10-05-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, I just got done listening to it.

Ugh.

This is the same thing that bothered me about Chanté Moore's last disc.
Old 10-05-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sad to see this talent go to waste just to sound "fresh." This daughter of a minister should be ashamed she turned her back on what she does best in a brazen attempt to "hang" with Pink, Ashanti and any other Hip Hop/R&B female.
Old 10-05-02, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Her sister Tamar isn't that much better. Once she released her solo album she lost her clothes too. The album tanked.

I wonder if Toni knows that you don't have to strip/pander to the pop audience to sell discs? Her first two albums should be evidence of that.

As I said in another thread -- look at Sade. She has class, strong material AND great sales.
Old 10-07-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
Her sister Tamar isn't that much better. Once she released her solo album she lost her clothes too. The album tanked.

I wonder if Toni knows that you don't have to strip/pander to the pop audience to sell discs? Her first two albums should be evidence of that.

As I said in another thread -- look at Sade. She has class, strong material AND great sales.
Exactly, Lover's Rock wasn't on every music/radio show but it sold well and is a damn_good album I'm glad to have it.
Old 10-09-02, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous?

From NYPost.com
I've only heard Jay-Z's version, so i'm waiting to compare.
Song swipe? -- Toni Braxton claims that her latest single has been plagiarized by Beyonce Knowles and Jay-Z, and she blames her old pal, Def Jam president Kevin Lilles, for the alleged lift. Braxton, who records for Arista, claims she sent an advance copy of "Me and My Boyfriend" to Lilles last month. Yesterday, when Braxton heard "Bonnie & Clyde" by Jay-Z and Knowles, she was furious. "It sounds exactly like Toni's single - it even uses the same Tupac [Shakur] sample," fumed an Arista exec. Braxton aired her fury yesterday on Wendy Williams' show on WBLS 107.5, saying, "I'm not hating on Beyonce or anything, but I have kids to feed and this is taking money out of their college funds." Braxton, pregnant with her second child, has a new album, "More Than a Woman," due out Nov. 19.
Old 11-02-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Jeez...she's sounding very bitter these days...
Somebody give Toni Braxton a saucer of milk. Besides being good for her -- she's four months pregnant with her second child -- she's earned it for her catty remarks about Jennifer Lopez.

"She's a very good actress, but she's new to the singing world," Braxton, 34, says in December's Vibe.

Braxton resents fashionistas who've suggested that she donned a shockingly revealing Richard Tyler gown at the 2001 Grammys to outdo the now-infamous green Versace J.Lo wore the year before.

"Nothing against her, but to insuate that i'm trying to be like her? I'm sorry...This is not my first Grammy. I have six." Here, kitty, kitty.

Braxton has a fifth album, "More Than A Woman," due out Nov. 19. And yet, for all her awards, the star of "Beauty and the Beast" admits, "My career doesn't really make me happy anymore."
That last sentence makes me wonder if she's setting herself up for the eventual poor sales for the upcoming album. [My opinion based sales of the Heat and on the first single...]
Old 11-03-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought "The Heat" a few weeks ago and I have to admit the album is good. It was overlooked in many respects except for the hit song "He wasn't man enough."