Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Robbie Williams known/rated much outside the UK?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-02, 12:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBC News Story
Robbie Williams has signed what is believed to be an £80m contract with EMI Records in what could be the UK's biggest record deal.
The deal for four albums, second only to Michael Jackson's in music history, was announced on Wednesday afternoon.

The singer, 28, said: "I am back with EMI - well I never left. I am glad. "I want to continue to break records and make records with EMI."

Williams, who was speaking at a press conference at his management's west London offices, is expected to be given more control over his work.

It is believed the deal includes a commitment to try to make him a star in the United States, where he has only had limited success so far.

The singer told reporters who asked how much the deal was worth that his mother had told him it was "uncouth" to discuss money. But he joked: "I am rich beyond my wildest dreams."

It is understood the deal includes £10m up front, £15m on completion of the first record and £55m for the remaining three records.

The head of the EMI label in the UK, Tony Wadsworth, said he was excited by the long-term deal. "We have sold 22 million albums and had a fantastic time and the future is looking bright," he said.

The deal means EMI will take an unusually high share of profit from touring, publishing profits and merchandise - areas where the artists themselves usually make more money.

His representatives called the new deal a "multi-platform" approach to the "respective elements of recording, live work, film and television".

In a statement his management company and EMI said: "There are only a handful of artists in the world that could achieve this level of ownership and control of their own careers and record companies that could make it work."

Williams' manager David Enthoven added: "This watershed deal will undoubtedly make a positive change to the workings of the music industry."

EMI's shares rose in early trading on Wednesday as the London stock exchange reacted to early reports of the deal, but by the end of trading the share price was down 1.75p at 167.75p.

Williams had flown in to Heathrow on Tuesday night from Canada, where he has been shooting the video for his new single Feel, with actress Daryl Hannah.

The previous biggest UK record deal was the £42m paid to Sir Elton John in 1996.

The battle had been on to sign the former Take That singer after his EMI contract expired earlier this year. Sony, BMG and Richard Branson's V2 Records were among those believed to have joined in the race. But EMI has been keen to retain Williams, who has been one of the label's most successful acts of recent years with a string of hits.

He is due to release his new album Escapology next month after his fourth solo album - the big band tribute album Swing When You're Winning - sold more than 5.5m copies.

On Wednesday the singer said: "This is the best album I have made. I'm really proud of it."

In marked contrast to the singer's success, EMI has had a rocky 12 months, cutting 1,800 jobs and suffering a string of chart flops. It is the only one of the world's big five record companies to be based in the UK.

But earlier this year it paid Mariah Carey £38m to sever her contract after the failure of the Glitter album, the soundtrack to the film of the same name in which she starred.
I have a feeling that the guy will start playing up now and become less reliable when it comes to his live performances. After all, EMI are the ones that will be losing out. And no doubt he will have an eye to Mariah Carey's experiences.
Old 10-02-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
This is the first I've ever heard of this "Robbie Williams". And I'm usually pretty up-to-speed on current pop-culture.

Yet one of my favorite current bands, Ocean Colour Scene, are much more obscure here in the States.

Last edited by slop101; 10-02-02 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-02-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you remeber the song called "millienium" from 99. that was him
Old 10-02-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
do you remeber the song called "millienium" from 99. that was him
Never even heard OF it.

Who the hell is this guy and why does he warrant such a huge contract? From his picture, he looks like he's a "punker" - but I really doubt it.
Old 10-02-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by slop101
Never even heard OF it.

Who the hell is this guy and why does he warrant such a huge contract? From his picture, he looks like he's a "punker" - but I really doubt it.
If memory serves me correctly, he was in some boy band, then struck out on his own. He had a pretty popular song this year that was a duet with Nicole Kidman (I only know any of this because I was in Europ for a few months at the beginning of this year and had to ask who this guy was).
Old 10-02-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've known about him for quite awhile but he isn't big in America. I doubt he'll ever be all that much of a star here.
Old 10-03-02, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i saw him on MTV CRIBS. I had, and still have, no idea who he is. But wow, nice house!
Old 10-03-02, 11:25 AM

I like him (but I'm in Canada and we like weird things). Not so hot on the music, but he's so *****ing funny.

I think his whole "cheekiness" and mocking of his own celebrity is something that doesn't play well in the US, in my opinion.

It appears to me that the USA, (as a mass market, so please don't take offence), rather like their celebrities to enjoy their celebrity-ness and be earnest about it (ie--American Idol), or on the other extreme, be really angst-ridden about it (ie-Kurt Cobain). Someone who mocks it and makes fun of his own songs is something that I think a mass American market just won't latch onto. Just my theory.

Cheers.
Old 10-03-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard of him. Wasn't he the one with the video of people peeling off their skin?
Old 10-03-02, 01:40 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 104 Posts
I know him, like him, and am irish so that's why i would be more aware than most in here.

Yup he was in take that, went solo and had a huge hit in the uk with Angels... Good song. And yes he did have the video with the skin peeling which got some good airplay on mtv and vh1.

I think he needs more pr over here to make it bigger, but I think his success will mostly be limited to europe and the uk.
Old 10-04-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I only know him from the video with Nicole Kidman on the Birthday Girl DVD.

I thought that song was amusing, but if that is representative of him, I don't think it's something I'd be too interested in listening to.
Old 10-04-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That video where he ripped his body apart was awesome. He seemed like a really cool guy on Cribs. I'd never touch one of his CDs.
Old 10-04-02, 01:46 PM

He really makes me want to cut my own face off.

I live in Scotland and although it hasn't been as bad recently (not that what we get subjected to is any better), there was a time when it felt like 24 hour a day Robbie Williams exposure. I just find him really annoying and awful. If only he'd done as well as the other ex members of Take That.

I'd be perfectly happy if he breaks the North American market and never sets foot in the UK again (although I wouldn't wish anyone to have to put up with him).
Old 03-24-03, 02:42 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Robbie Williams takes on America

So Escapology comes out on April 1st, and I think there may be a bigger push to unleash him on the us market.

I just came back from a small radio station show he did, it was very cool, there was about 25 people in there, and he did 4 songs.

Feel
Angels
Nan's Song
Come Undone

All were very good, and he is quite the character.

For those of you who don't know who he is, he was kind of the uk version of Justin Timberlake, and was with Rachel Hunter for a while, along with lots of other womenfolks.

he also did 2 cribs, one where he was renting jane seymour's castle, and she was pissed, and one in LA this season.

Fun guy,
Old 03-24-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll pass, that Mileniem song he did awhile ago sucked, and we don't need another Justin Timberlake wannabe do we?
Old 03-24-03, 10:57 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't say he is comparable to Justin Timberlake. I think RW is in a league of his own, probably one of the best male performers today. In fact he's nothing like Justin Timberlake

Robbie is way better.
Old 03-24-03, 11:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I loved him in "Mork and Mindy."
Old 03-24-03, 11:19 PM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts
I like the video of him doing his interpretation of Atanarjuat.

And if I saw Justin Timberlake rip off his own skin, I'd hurl...
Old 03-25-03, 06:20 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by Fok
In fact he's nothing like Justin Timberlake

Robbie is way better.
Robbie was in a boy band. - check
Robbie broke off to do his solo career - check

I'd say they have a ton in common.

Old 03-25-03, 09:33 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

dek knows his boy bands
Old 03-25-03, 10:01 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
bastard
Old 03-25-03, 11:25 AM

I'm EXTREMELY glad RW is coming to the U.S. in proper fashion. Looks like his label is really serious about establishing him here. In fact, he's scheduled to do some private, radio station winner concert here in Milwaukee this Friday. (Though I'm told that may change) It's odd to see easily one of the biggest acts in the rest of the world doing small private gigs. Makes sense though; can't find anyone over here who's ever heard of him.

I also hope for a TV blitz. Glad to see another Cribs episode. Oddly enough, that's the only frame of reference I have for people when I try to explain who he is. I'm hoping for same late night talk show gigs. He'd be perfect for Kilborn! And since SNL gambled with Ms. Dynamite a few weeks ago, I hope someone's booked Robbie soon. Looks like he's going to be on Last Call w/ Carson on April 1. I assume they tape and broadcast the same day.
Old 03-25-03, 12:20 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dek
Robbie was in a boy band. - check
Robbie broke off to do his solo career - check

I'd say they have a ton in common.

Just because they both came from bands doesn't mean they're similar in performance and music. RW is different in to JT in all ways - check.
Old 03-25-03, 02:00 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Fok
Just because they both came from bands doesn't mean they're similar in performance and music. RW is different in to JT in all ways - check.
Man these Justin Timberlake fans, don't like people dissing him
Old 03-25-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Escapology is at bestbuy.com right now for $5.99

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.