Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Metal Gear Solid 3 on the Xbox (and Capcom purchase rumor)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

From Computerandvideogames.com -

METAL GEAR SOLID 3 XBOX "EXCLUSIVE"?

Clearly no-one is safe from Big Bill's cash as sources suggest Microsoft's console will be the first to receive the next version in Kojima's massive stealth franchise

14:34 The next title in Konami's Metal Gear Solid action series has been snagged by Microsoft for an undisclosed period of Xbox exclusivity, sources have suggested. Though this would mean the title would still appear on other formats, Xbox would host the title exclusively for a period of time.
Highly placed insiders have stated that Microsoft originally tried to gain the title for Xbox outright, but when the deal fell through, Microsoft apparently splashed out enough cash to ensure it still appears on Xbox first.

This report follows hot on the heels of Microsoft's acquisition of UK developer Rare, and rumours that it is looking into purchasing Capcom, with Bill Gates's company clearly intent on going to extraordinary lengths to ensure Xbox is a success.

A spokesperson for Konami of Europe issued a terse "no comment," when questioned on the matter earlier today. We'll keep you posted on all developments.

Johnny Minkley
Old 10-01-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a MGS3???

I am not really that excited about it anymore to be honest.
Old 10-01-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - I thought MGS2 was pretty terrible except for the 20 minutes of actual gameplay (overexaggeration), so I'm not too excited about MGS3 yet - but I'll wait until I hear more before putting a verdict on it. Still - it's pretty big news for Xbox since MGS2 sold lots of PS2s when it came out. This, Rare and the whole Capcom thing means that Microsoft is on the right track. I didn't think Rare was worth it before, but after seeing Kameo and hearing that they'll be able to get games out faster is encouraging.
Old 10-01-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey, maybe we'll get to play as solid snake this time..
Old 10-01-02, 11:16 PM
Retired

That would be a great deal for MS. I have no problem with them buying exclusive agreements for games/series. It actually probably makes more sense to pay less money and get a companies big game as an exclusive instead of spending a boatload of money to buy the developer.
Old 10-01-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wonder how long this thread will stay on topic?

Anyway, this is a great deal for Xbox. I like what Bill is doing. He is dumping huge amounts of cash this round to help build the Xbox reputation and name, plus purchasing what developers and exclusive titles he can.

MS is looking at the future of the Xbox. They will lose billions this round, but if I was Sony I might be a little worried about Xbox 2 vs PS3. Microsoft is positioning themselves to be a serious challenge in 2003 and on.

The Xbox is becoming a well known name in the market and they are going to have more serious exclusives in the next few years. Something they haven't had up until now. The biggest question is the Japanese market. MS really has to find away to get the Capcom deal done.

This may end up a little like the Genesis vs SNES. Genesis came our first and had a huge lead for a couple of years. But the SNES started building a steady line up of games and they both finished very close in the end.

Granted the Xbox probably won't finish close to the PS2 in sales, but reputation wise they may earn just as much respect with gamers by the end of the race and may come out strong against Sony in the next round.

I think MS is doing everything they can. If they eventually lose it won't be for a lack of trying.
Old 10-02-02, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
except for the 20 minutes of actual gameplay (overexaggeration)
Yeah you're right, it was more like 15.

A coup for MS, assuming the exclusivity period is more than a month or two.
Old 10-02-02, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[sarcastic voice]oh the xbox is never going to make it. It'll be just like the dreamcast... a dead system in like a year or less... [/sarcastic voice] riiiiiight....
Old 10-02-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Lastblade
There is a MGS3???
Yes, Hideo Kojima said there would be more games in the MGS line and possibly an on-line MGS game as well. However, he said he would only supervise any MGS games from here on out and would not be as hands-on as he was with the other 2.

This move does not surprise me if true. MS obviously got an exclusivity deal with MGS2: Substance and it is no surprise that it would happen again with MGS3.

This is a good move for the X-Box as many people loved MGS2 (and I realize that many hated it as well).
Old 10-02-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see..........

Originally posted by Lastblade
There is a MGS3???

I am not really that excited about it anymore to be honest.
Yeah - I thought MGS2 was pretty terrible.

I'm not too excited about MGS3
Originally posted by Shuki
The xbox is never going to make it.

It'll be just like the dreamcast... a dead system in like a year or less
Why is it that you hate MS and Xbox?

You and tons of other people bought MGS2 for PS2 and many of you said that that game was owesome and great and now you say that you have no interest in MGS3!!

Is it because it's coming on Xbox first?

Many of you who criticise MS and Xbox System are just plain jealous and you all should stop highjacking threats.

Moderator Please Close this threat before some people starts to highjack this threat like they did with the previous one about MS buying Capcom.
Old 10-02-02, 08:57 AM

Re: I see..........

Originally posted by kar10

You and tons of other people bought MGS2 for PS2 and many of you said that that game was owesome and great and now you say that you have no interest in MGS3!!

Many of you who criticise MS and Xbox System are just plain jealous and you all should stop highjacking threats.

Moderator Please Close this threat before some people starts to highjack this threat like they did with the previous one about MS buying Capcom.
Trigger and Lastblade had no bad comments about Xbox or MS. They mentioned they had no interested in MGS3. In fact Trigger stated that Xbox is on the right track. As for shuki, if you'll notice he was using sarcasm, and his post is directed at the naysayers of the Xbox.
Old 10-02-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why are you claiming that we bought the PS2 for MGS2? What are you talking about?
Old 10-02-02, 08:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
kar10, you just won the coveted award for Post of the Day.
Old 10-02-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ummmmmm... I think you may have missed something... like the parts you didn't quote .
Old 10-02-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I'm not holding my breath for this game, but by bringing more exclusive AAA titles, Xbox is definately going in the right direction!
Old 10-02-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh great. Metal Gear 3 exclusively on X-Box (well at least for a short time).

I've once said that wanting Microsoft to succede is like routing for the Empire in Star Wars. Looks like when Metal Gear Solid 3 comes out I might have to join Darth Gates and go to the "the Dark Side".

Old 10-02-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tons of people bought MGS2 for PS2 and have no interest in MGS3!! and are just plain jealous about Capcom.
Thanks Mr. context.

I appreciate the thought, but nobody's been out of line yet.
Old 10-02-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I've once said that wanting Microsoft to succede is like routing for the Empire in Star Wars. Looks like when Metal Gear Solid 3 comes out I might have to join Darth Gates and go to the "the Dark Side".

Old 10-02-02, 10:57 AM

ummmm....dude.....

If you paid any attention to other threads, you'd know that the guys you quoted are not anti-XBOX. They're some of the few defenders of the XBOX. Go look up the word SARCASM.

As for MGS3, I think it's great that XBOX is working hard to get recognized names in their game library. I'm pretty sure we'll get some great titles this fall/winter that will be big sellers (Splinter Cell and Blinx). But it helps to have a big name (if it's true).

I agree that it needs more gameplay time though, it was too much watching for my taste.
Old 10-02-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I like the xbox. I am going to buy one within a few months.

I am just not excited about the MGS franchise. I thought Hideo said he won't work on another MGS, maybe he changed his mind...

When MGS first came out for PSX, I was amazed, I bought the limited Japanese version (with all the goodies in a huge box) AND the US version. I played the PS2 version, it is just more of the same....

So now they are making 3, big deal. This is not a knock on Xbox at all.
Old 10-02-02, 11:45 AM
Banned

Buying out every franchise just to make them your own is suck. I'm surprised to see so many people support this, we want competition not monopolies. Where's the Nintendo and Sony charity plates? I want to donate.
Old 10-02-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lesterlong
Buying out every franchise just to make them your own is suck. I'm surprised to see so many people support this, we want competition not monopolies. Where's the Nintendo and Sony charity plates? I want to donate.
How is this any different from Sony's exclusive deal with Grand Theft Auto that was sealed with a bag of money at E3? How is this different from Nintendo's deal with Capcom to get Resident Evil as an exclusive? It's not. As alot of people on this forum like to point out - Microsoft is 3rd place in this console race and getting exclusives and buying developers is the name of the game... I don't see how this will create a monopoly... at best it'll help the Xbox to jump back to 2nd place. As we all know, 2nd place is the first loser. Sony hardly needs a collection plate for you to donate money to...
Old 10-02-02, 12:16 PM

How is this any different from Sony's exclusive deal with Grand Theft Auto that was sealed with a bag of money at E3? How is this different from Nintendo's deal with Capcom to get Resident Evil as an exclusive?
Because those deals are temporary and can be renegotiated. And they aren't for every game put out for that developer. Rockstar is making games for Xbox and GCN. Capcom is still making games for Xbox and PS2. A buyout is permanent. If Microsoft buys Capcom you will NEVER see ANY of their games on Sony or Nintendo systems.
Old 10-02-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by Groucho
Because those deals are temporary and can be renegotiated. And they aren't for every game put out for that developer. Rockstar is making games for Xbox and GCN. Capcom is still making games for Xbox and PS2. A buyout is permanent. If Microsoft buys Capcom you will NEVER see ANY of their games on Sony or Nintendo systems.
That's not entirely true, because Microsoft is already in talks with Nintendo about porting some of their titles to the Gameboy. Blinx (an Xbox exclusive) is supposedly in the works.

-Lucky
Old 10-02-02, 12:39 PM

You're right about the Gameboy Advanced games, I was talking about television consoles. Sorry.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.