Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jeux interdits English Subtitles?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-02, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rumour has it that Jeux interdits - Forbidden Games does indeed have English Subtitles... Amazon and Cinestore both say no but I've found one other site that says yes. If this is the case, what about the recent Clement dvd release Gervaise? Anyone?
Old 10-01-02, 05:44 PM

... hm ... I'd always assumed Jeux interdits didn't have english subs, but now i'm not so sure.
amazon.fr is always wrong about subtitles, cinestore often is and in this case the usually helpful www.dvdfr.com has insufficient info.
www.cdiscount.com and www.dvdzone2.com both list it as having english and spanish subs, so it's strange that they should both make the same mistake (unless they're getting their info from each other).
The smoking gun would be a scan of the back of box itself where such things are listed. Alapage seems to offer such a facility but it doesn't appear to be working - oh, for the much missed musicbox.fr!
With no evidence from a source i entirely trust to say that it doesn't have subs, i'm inclined to think it might.
But i can't find anything that suggests that Gervaise has subtitles.

(I used www.dvdpascher.net to do the searches for this post)
Old 10-01-02, 08:22 PM

Update: someone in another forum confirmed that JEAUX INTERDITS does indeed have subs (from a personal copy)... this along with:

CASQUE D'OR and LA BETE HUMAINE -- All have subs!
Old 10-02-02, 05:15 PM

Later yesterday i also confirmed the subs on Jeux Interdit using dvdprofiler.
The following from the Studio Canal "Serie Classique" also have English subs:
Grande Illusion, Testament d'Orphee, Le Jour Se Leve, Quai des Orfevres
Old 10-07-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...fwiw: I just checked 'my' (nla) Jeux interdits (released on the now defunct Film Office label) that I bought a couple of years ago, and can confirm that it does not have subtitles - in any language...

...it may be that the current re-release in STUDIO CANAL's uniform, single-DigiPack CLASSIQUE series does have subs (unfortunately, dvdfr's fiche does not say)...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 10-07-02 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-17-02, 11:48 AM

I received Jeux Interdits, Quai des Orfevres, and CASQUE D'OR yesterday -- All do indeed have english subtitles (except for the extras). I watched Jeux Interdits and it's a pretty good transfer. Some problems here and there with the dark scenes and mushy blacks but all in all acceptable. The BIG problem I have with this is it is missing at least one entire scene!! Near the end of the film I swear there is a scene where the
Spoiler:
two families discover the little cemetery in the mill sans crosses - they then react as if it is some kind of pagan altar and send the girl on her way.

Indeed, IMDB lists the film as 102 minutes in the US and 84 minutes in France. Too Bad.