Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

My thoughts on the Inland Invasion Concert

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

COMPLAINTS
The RULES for bringing in stuff were ridiculas. You couldn't being in ANYTHING. No Backpacks? No blankets? You have to be there for 12 hours and they didn't let you bring in crap!

The PRICES were outrageous. I mean... you sort of expect them to be.. but they seemed worst than you'd expect. $3 waters, $5 lemonades and cokes, $8 beers. I spent $20 on two hotdogs (store-brand size) and two lemonades!!! I spent like $30 there just on food and drinks.

The FIRES at the side stage and up in the lawn were unnecessary. There were like 16 bon fires going on at once in the lawn area. I'm glad I wasn't up there. I don't know -- It just seems to me that bon fires in a crowded (65,000) ampitheatre isn't smart. Not to mention that people were throwing in plastic and stuff and you could smell it from where we were sitting.

The PUNKER-THAN-THOU attitudes were annoying -- from both the crowd and some of the acts. I don't mind TSOL's music (I think they're pretty good) but the singer is an elitist jerk. This is the second time I've seen them where the singer has made comments about other bands. Last time it was about Blink 182, this time it was about New Found Glory. If you don't like the other bands, that's fine. But I'm sorry -- The I'm punker than you crap is annoying as hell.

I was one of the people cheering on New Found Glory when they told the jerk-offs in the audience who were booing them and flicking them off where to stick it. And a lot of other people joined in -- especially when they were talking crap about one of the a-holes who was booing them -- They asked the 15-year guy if he got his Dead Kennedys shirt from Hot Topic.

GOOD THINGS

The line up was great. I enjoyed most of the bands. I missed the Damned as I was trying to get something to eat/drink because I was seriously dehydrated. I also missed Unwritten Law, but I didn't mind because I'm not a fan. We left after Sex Pistols 6th song because we wanted to beat the crowd. It still took us about 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot.

I really enjoyed all the sets. It was the first time I've ever seen a lot of them play (and I've been to tons of shows).

All in all it was great show, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. I'm getting too old for these all day festival shows. I was so tired by the time we left.

Oh and for anyone thats reading this that went and booed or flicked off any of the bands. Grow UP!!!

-Kenny
Old 09-15-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My thoughts on the Inland Invasion Concert

Originally posted by DodgingCars
COMPLAINTS
The RULES for bringing in stuff were ridiculas. You couldn't being in ANYTHING. No Backpacks? No blankets? You have to be there for 12 hours and they didn't let you bring in crap!
these rules are more on the venue. I'm sure blockbuster has these rules to cover there arse for weapons and to stiff you on the water/food prices

The PRICES were outrageous. I mean... you sort of expect them to be.. but they seemed worst than you'd expect. $3 waters, $5 lemonades and cokes, $8 beers. I spent $20 on two hotdogs (store-brand size) and two lemonades!!! I spent like $30 there just on food and drinks.
Yeah, they get you on that. I hate the high prices in water. especially when the venue is out in the hot ass end of town. hell it's pretty much desert over there at the blockbuster pavialion (I had a car over heat on the way there one time). So high prices on food and drink are expected, but for health reasons your kinda screwed and have to pay it or else face worse conditions

The FIRES at the side stage and up in the lawn were unnecessary. There were like 16 bon fires going on at once in the lawn area. I'm glad I wasn't up there. I don't know -- It just seems to me that bon fires in a crowded (65,000) ampitheatre isn't smart. Not to mention that people were throwing in plastic and stuff and you could smell it from where we were sitting.

You have to be kidding me. Those bon fires just add a lot to it. and considering they are part of every lawn seat area of any concert I have ever been to. they could add a lot to the fun of it all. then again, it sure is unsafe. but hey, it's fun there way to say "F you" for getting the cheap tickets.

The PUNKER-THAN-THOU attitudes were annoying -- from both the crowd and some of the acts. I don't mind TSOL's music (I think they're pretty good) but the singer is an elitist jerk. This is the second time I've seen them where the singer has made comments about other bands. Last time it was about Blink 182, this time it was about New Found Glory. If you don't like the other bands, that's fine. But I'm sorry -- The I'm punker than you crap is annoying as hell.
especially when they were talking crap about one of the a-holes who was booing them -- They asked the 15-year guy if he got his Dead Kennedys shirt from Hot Topic.

This is one of the main reasons I didn't go to it. the line up was great. I would have loved to see the Vandals again. But frankly. I think my punk days are over with. I don't care to throw on the outfit again. oh and the hot topic stuff.. Don't get me started on that crap. Annoys me when 20 people are wearing a shirt I picked up many years prior and then the kid acts like he's more hardcore then me. it's not a competition and I hate the mentality which many "punk" fans have. then that has to do a lot with "selling out" and how original fans resent the new comers for acting more superior or how the older fans feel more superior. this is a bad scene indeed. and considering many new bands just sound like a mix of Back street boys and green day. it's not something really to proud to be of.

All in all it was great show, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. I'm getting too old for these all day festival shows. I was so tired by the time we left.
I made that decision. I would have liked to go. but from my experience at Blockbuster. I just don't like the lay out, the venue, or the crowds as much anymore. Been to every Kroq summer and winter show for about the last 9 years. and I decided to skip out on last years and this years inland invasion. this years line up was good, but frankly.. I think I'm getting a bit to old for it. the fun started wearing down and the more i think about the crowds the less I'm thrilled at going. Many venues would care about it's location and how it will effect you. Blockbusters prices for water, not to mention there total lack of letting you bring in stuff is pretty lame.

Glad you enjoyed the show for the most part. it looked like a great line up.
Old 09-15-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
How was X? They are one of my favorite bands of all time.

Annoys me when 20 people are wearing a shirt I picked up many years prior and then the kid acts like he's more hardcore then me. it's not a competition and I hate the mentality which many "punk" fans have. then that has to do a lot with "selling out" and how original fans resent the new comers for acting more superior or how the older fans feel more superior.
Well, I don't feel superior to the youngsters dressing the way I did many years ago. I'm an old fart and laugh most everything off anyways. Plus I enjoy the fact that Hot Topic is around. This 38 year old has bought a few shirts there.

I do find the whole punk scene kinda funny now, because even though I got into "late" (1980 or so, but never did the whole punk get up all the time) it's really at the stage now (past it even) where is's like "oldies" music. The same thing 60's-70's music was to us back then, I can't believe kids today still think it's cool to be "punk".
Old 09-15-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chrisedge
How was X? They are one of my favorite bands of all time.

They were really good. I'm not a big fan of their music (i.e. I don't own any of it) and only know a few of their more well known songs, but I thought they had a good set. I missed a little bit of the beginning because I was trying to buy food/drinks at the time. Probably my only complaint was that they went on so early that the crowd wasn't really pumped for them. Most people (myself included) were watching their set sitting down. They 95 degree heat probably had a lot to do with that.

As for the fires. I understand how they might be fun and all, but I would have been pissed if I had lawn tickets. I could smell the burning plastic from my seat. I could only imagine how all the smoke and smell would be to those who were 10-15 feet from the fires. My sinuses were killing me as it was (all the dust, etc) -- I didn't need that too.
Old 09-16-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would be Pissed if you had lawn seats in general.

the fire's are part of what makes it wild. some one starts one up and as a primitive urge, you dance around wildly, throw crap in it to light it up more. Makes the crowd feel more free even though they are comformed to the location they have to be in (unless you sneak up of course. )
Old 09-16-02, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those elitist punk rockers you were describing...isn't it a little "corporate" to be having a punk show in an amphitheatre?

I fell out of the whole punk thing for the same reasons: more-punk-than-you attitude. When I was in my rebellious stage in middle school/beginning of high school I was really into the political side of it, but I didn't look like much of a "punk rawker," so the rest of the groups at shows didn't really want to associate with me. Besides that, I wasn't into mosh pits...instead I just liked watching the band play. Overall, my experiene at punk shows wasn't good. I became much more accustomed to indie and local shows, and actually found more pleasure in the music.

However, I still find myself delving into my Crass, Minor Threat, and Propagandhi records.
Old 09-17-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fallow
For those elitist punk rockers you were describing...isn't it a little "corporate" to be having a punk show in an amphitheatre?

Absolutely. And that's another funny thing. TSOL & the Sex Pistols both talked crap about KROQ (the radio station putting it on). The thing was put on by KROQ and Levi's. Wait? So you're talking crap about the people giving you a check to be there?? Umm.. ok

Then Pennywise kept making comments about how it was punk rock to be in seats. Well... why did you play at an ampitheatre then? Yeah whatever.

I've always seen punk as nothing more than the music. The whole "it's a lifestyle" thing has always been a joke to me.