Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

who here likes Trance?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

who here likes Trance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-02, 01:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who here likes Trance?

name some good stuff, thx
Old 09-15-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its funny that you post that...I've been in a trance/trip-hop kick that was just broken today. A couple songs that I would reccommend would be:

Aphex Twin - "Girl Boy Song"
Aphex Twin - "Outside kick ass violin solo" (I don't know the real name of this song, but if you search that, it should come up)
Trans Am - "American Kooter" (I don't know if this is really Trance or not)
DJ Shadow - "Organ Donor"
DJ Shadow - "Midnight in a Perfect World"
UNKLE - Lonley Soul
UNKLE - Ape Shall Never Kill Ape
Massive Attack - Angel
Underworld - Born Slippy
Old 09-15-02, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Today's episode brought to you by the letter : A

Absolum (dont mess up with AbsolOm) - Psy-trip
Accida-Into the dawn (james holden mix)
Accuface - Let Your Mind Fly (DJ's At Work mix)
Acid Mothers - Legion
Aeriol Servant - Program 1
Airscape - L´esperanza (AvB Rising star mix
Allan Mcloud ft Fraser - Silent Running (Original Club Mix)
AMS Product - My song (well it's more Happy Hardcore than Trance but anyway...)
Andreas Mügge - Sterilium
Andy Jay Powell - Love Nation (Club mix)
Andy Jay Powell - Rising Love (Club mix)
Andy Jay Powell - Sunflow (Club mix)
Aquaplex- World of Innocence
Armin - "Blue Fear"
Armin van Buuren pres. Rising star - Clear blue Moon
Astral - Another world
Astral - Axis
Astral - Enlightment evolution
Astral - No one ever dreams
Astral - We are controlling transmission
ATB / DJ Jean 9 AM the lunch / m Fields mixup bootleg
Old 09-16-02, 12:31 AM

Sasha - Xpander EP is my absolute favorite. Any Sasha/Digweed stuff is good.
Old 09-16-02, 06:20 PM

If you are talking about Hardfloor "Acperiance1" type trance, then crank it up. If you are talking about 'epic' Tiesto-style stuff (read: Delerium "Silence"), then it's surpassed in lameness only by Happy Hardcore. I really don't get into separating genres because I feel it is too limiting, but I am an addict of about every form of house music except the aforementioned.
Jon
Old 09-16-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Old 09-17-02, 03:48 PM
Suspended

You cant go wrong with the Global Underground series.
Old 09-17-02, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
You cant go wrong with the Global Underground series.
I agree, most of them are really nice. The only disappointing thing about them is that they are mixed in studio and not really "on location" like the package would make you believe. I recently picked up the Deep Dish: Moscow and it is pretty good. I hear the one(s) from Nick Warren from Way Out West are good as well, so if anyone has any input on those I'd like to hear it.
Jon
Old 09-17-02, 09:45 PM
Banned

Would this be in the same league as say, Accelerator from FSOL, Renaissance Presents, Orbital etc?
Old 09-18-02, 06:49 AM

Besides being some of the coolest guys you'd ever want to meet, I'd have to say there are few artists in the same league as Orbital! A few mixes of theirs are on the Global Undergrounds. For instance, Breeder's remix of "Nothing Left" is on Sasha's Ibiza mix, which is quite good. I'd agree that FSOL and the Renaissance series are nice also.
Jon
Old 09-18-02, 09:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
of the few times I have been to Nation here in DC, the trance I have heard which I can say tends to sound more Euro-trance is monotanous and way too repetitious for my taste. I am a big fan of groups like Orbital, FSOL and Aphex Twin, but I have never considered them trance. Orbital is more techno than trance, FSOL and Aphex Twin are more experimental IMO.
Old 09-19-02, 10:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Giles
of the few times I have been to Nation here in DC, the trance I have heard which I can say tends to sound more Euro-trance is monotanous and way too repetitious for my taste. I am a big fan of groups like Orbital, FSOL and Aphex Twin, but I have never considered them trance. Orbital is more techno than trance, FSOL and Aphex Twin are more experimental IMO.
yes I agree I dont consider them trance either.
I guess I'm on the opposite side of most here, I used to listen to all types of trance, ie, goa, ayla, astral projection, etc. I mainly just listen to the vocal trance like on this site
now
Old 09-20-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Hard Trance. I don't much care for the trippy chill out type of trance and Euro Trance IS too monotonous.
Old 09-20-02, 01:51 PM

I like the more epic trance, and some of the progressive stuff. my favorite producers are dumonde and salt tank. if your into the whole tiesto type sound, definately check out armin van buuren, jon the dentist, marco v. you should pick up sasha's new album, airdrawndagger, too.

if you dig the progressive sound, satoshie tomiie's nubreed album is amazing.

btw...if you like the harder stuff, give techno a shot. check out dave clarke's - world service (disc 2 has some really bad breaks though). christian smiths - tronic treatment is amazing.

ps...can't forget to mention bt's movement in still life album. make sure you get an import though. the US album sucks.
Old 09-20-02, 06:32 PM

As far as Orbital and FSOL being trance, of course they aren't. I think the person asking the question was comparing the quality of material between the two.

Secondly, I'm glad someone mentioned the Sasha album. I heard so many good reviews of it, so I picked it up. I think it is the most disappointing anticipated album right behind Uerzone's debut. The main good thing about the album is the production quality, which is completely because of Charlie May (1/2 of Spooky). "Boileroom" is the only track I found any interest in.

I'm not trying to sound biased here...but my brother who just got signed to Moonshine Records in the US has a bunch of recent tracks that smoke anything on Airdrawndagger.
Jon
Old 09-21-02, 03:03 PM

sasha's latest isn't really an album of all danceable tracks. I just enjoy throwing it on to chill. I love the lush sounds, basicly the whole production of this album. its a showcase for him, every track is so well produced. its the sort of music I like though. I also think BT is the best producer, so sasha and hybrid just fit right in.
Old 09-22-02, 08:43 AM

You mentioned a couple of times that you really liked the production on the album, which I also said was its strong point. Like I mentioned previously, the production value is owed almost entirely to Charlie May. I bought Charlie and Duncan's (Spooky) debut, Gargantuan, when it came out in '93. It is a landmark album in the whole tribal and progressive house scene. I just wanted you to realize why ADD's production is the way it is, and it isn't because of Sasha.
Also, I saw you mention Hybrid. What did you think about their recent Vizible Noize/Know Your Enemy 12" ?
Jon
Old 09-25-02, 04:51 PM

I haven't heard the new hybrid track yet. I may have heard it last time I saw them, but I wouldn't recognize it. I stopped buying records years ago. I thought dvd's ate away at my wallet, vinyl drove me into debt. good call on charlie may...I just downloaded some tracks off soulseek and they sound great.
Old 09-25-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anything by ATB, DJ Taucher or my personal GOD DJ Tiesto! Tiesto's remix of Silence is the best song ever.

Last edited by huzefa; 10-15-02 at 07:00 PM.