Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Boston cd, Corporate America, October 22.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-02, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Track listing:

I Had A Good Time . Stare Out Your Window . Corporate America . With You . Someone . Turn It Off . Cryin' . Didn't Mean To Fall In Love . You Gave Up On Love . Livin' For You (Live)

And here is a link where you can listen to Corporate America the song:

http://artemisrecords.com/boston_multimedia.aspx
Old 09-14-02, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yuk . . . and I really used to like Boston alot.
I think I'll be skipping this one.
Old 09-15-02, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
who will be in the band this time.
evrytime they release an album it has new players.

i think only the 1st 2 had the full origional band.

after guitarist Barry Goudreau left the band they were never the same.

if interested his 3 other albums sound much more like the BOSTON sound then anything boston released after the 2nd album.

they are called "Barry Goudreau" "RTZ" also known as return to zero, and ORION THE HUNTER.

all 3 have various members, former and current from the origional boston line-up.

for those interested from www.allmusic.com

The arena-rock group behind one of the fastest-selling debut albums in history, Boston was essentially the vehicle of studio wizard Tom Scholz, born March 10, 1947 in Toledo, Ohio. A rock fan throughout his teen years, he began writing songs while earning a master's degree at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. After graduation, he began work for Polaroid, and eventually joined a local band led by guitarist Barry Goudreau. Though Scholz signed on as a keyboardist, he also began learning guitar, and his quick mastery of the instrument soon allowed him to take full control of the band.
At the same time, Scholz set about constructing his own 12-track recording studio in the basement of his home, where the group — now dubbed Boston, and also consisting of Goudreau, vocalist Brad Delp, bassist Fran Sheehan and drummer John "Sib" Hashian — recorded the demos which earned them a contract with Epic in 1975. Although some recording and overdubs were later done in Los Angeles, the 1976 release of Boston consisted largely of Scholz's original basement tapes; spawning three hit singles ("More Than a Feeling," "Long Time" and "Peace of Mind"), the LP shot immediately to the top of the charts, and remained the best-selling pop debut effort in history before it was supplanted by Whitney Houston's first album in 1986.

Despite the record's overwhelming success, Scholz spent over two years working on the follow-up, 1978's Number One hit Don't Look Back; a perfectionist, he only then released the album because of intense label pressure for product. Unsatisfied with the results, he swore to produce the next album at his own pace; as a result, the chart-topping Third Stage did not appear until 1986, at which time only Scholz and Delp remained from the original line-up.

Scholz spent the next several years in the courtroom: first, he was sued by Goudreau, who alleged that Scholz had damaged his solo recording career (they settled out-of-court); next, he won a seven-year battle against Epic, who claimed Boston had reneged on their contract by taking so long between releases. When the band resurfaced again in 1994 with Walk On, Scholz was the lone remaining member; Delp and Goudreau had reunited in 1992 as RTZ, releasing the album Return to Zero.

In addition to his fame as a musician, Scholz also found success as an inventor and businessman. In 1981, he formed Scholz Research & Design, Inc., a company founded to create high-tech music equipment. After first developing the Power Soak, a volume-control device, SR&D introduced the Rockman, an inexpensive, small guitar amplifier with headphones. The Rockman proved phenomenally popular with other musicians, and the capital generated from its sales helped fund Scholz's further musical ambitions. — Jason Ankeny

Last edited by whotony; 09-15-02 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-15-02, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
also that song download is only a cover band version of the title track not boston.
Old 09-15-02, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

About freaking time...Sholtz is a friggin genius but he takes too much damned time...

Is Delp in this incarnation? He did vocals on Higher Power on the Greatest Hits album...
Old 09-18-02, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts
Just finished my second listening of the new album...

Wow, have they mellowed! There are a coupla songs that sound like old Boston, 'Livin for You' does, but there's way too much "love song" type stuff going on here...

They have added a female band member (Kimberley Dahme) who does some of the vocals, and that is really strange listening to, with Sholtz's guitar work in the background...

Bottom line for me so far, you definately get the Sholtz guitar work/sound, but it is a bit mellowed out for my tastes (sans a coupla songs).
Old 09-21-02, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
If I were you, I would enjoy it a whole helluva lot 'cause it's going to be a loooonnng while until the next one gets released!
Old 09-22-02, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
You've got to admire Tom Scholz' work ethic - the new Boston albums come out like clockwork - a new Boston album every EIGHT years. You can set your watch to the Boston new album release schedule!

It's a shame that Scholz and Goudreau couldn't get along better - without Goudreau Boston has lost something. At least we've still got the first 2 Boston albums to listen to. Third Stage wasn't bad, but it should have been better (and longer) considering how long it took to complete.

Walk On was OK, but was a step down from Third Stage.

I'll sample the new one, but I doubt I'll buy it if it's as mellow as I'm anticipating.
Old 12-12-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally got around to buying this album. I actually like it. I Had A Good Time is a good song, and there are some other great tracks. I guess I am just a sucker for that Scholz guitar sound, but I hate the use of electronic drums.
Old 12-13-02, 10:13 AM
Banned

On a side note, did anyone else hear Boston's version of the Star Spangled Banner? They played it before one of the Bowl Games last year. I'm thinking it was the Oregon/Colorado game. I remember thinking it was one of the best Star Spangled Banners I've ever heard. Anyone know if there is a recording of it anywhere?
Old 12-13-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Bust, I think their version of the Star Spangled Banner is on their Greatest Hits cd.
Old 12-13-02, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Barth
Bust, I think their version of the Star Spangled Banner is on their Greatest Hits cd.
Although this is true, that CD was released in 1997. I'm specifically looking for the Live Performance during the 2002 Fiesta Bowl.