Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Salton Sea - a plot question.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-02, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I really enjoyed this movie. It was a great to see Val Kilmer in such a daring role, and I absolutely LOVED Vincent D'onoforio (who doesn't love a reinactment of the JKF assassination with pigeons and rc cars?) I do have one plot question; something that's really bugging me.

Spoiler:
What is Danny's motivation for choosing to do things on his own, instead of carrrying out the plan with the FBI? It seems like such a waste of time and resources to have that whole FBI double sting set up, and then just dump it at the last minute. He did get his man, but wouldn't he also have if he had stuck to the plan?
Old 09-14-02, 07:52 AM

CONTAINS SPOILERS

he wanted to get revenge on his own. he probably realized that even though, the FBI would've done the work for him, his whole goal was to get revenge on his own. once he knew that his goal was attainable, he just finished it off.

that movie did kickass though
Old 09-14-02, 08:55 AM
Suspended

either that or a strain of logic. plot problems aside, it was still ****ing great.
Old 09-14-02, 05:38 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought about this too. I think he used the FBI because he needed the $250,000 in cash to set up the "deal/trap" and the only palce he could get it was from the feds.
Old 01-18-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But if that was his plan from the beginning, why didn't he just kill them without the whole setup? Seems like he could have had plenty of chances to surprise them and thereby gain the upper hand. Why go to all the trouble of setting up a sting? A definite plot problem in my mind.

Still an enjoyable movie, though. D'onofrio is a frickin chameleon. I hardly recognized him.
Old 01-18-03, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by Boot
But if that was his plan from the beginning, why didn't he just kill them without the whole setup? Seems like he could have had plenty of chances to surprise them and thereby gain the upper hand. Why go to all the trouble of setting up a sting? A definite plot problem in my mind.

Still an enjoyable movie, though. D'onofrio is a frickin chameleon. I hardly recognized him.
Despite the fact that I myself started this thread, it's so old that I would have to go back and re-watch the movie just to remember what the hell we're talking about.
Old 01-18-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Boot
Spoiler:
I see it like this... 1) Somewhere along the line Danny/Tom made the decision to kill them and then himself and 2) So the law/FBI would understand his reasons for whacking em'. #2 applies even if #1 was planned from the get go.

Still my favorite film, to date, from 2002....