Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New "ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST" DVD - english subs?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-02, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there - did anyone get the NEW Special Edition of Leone's masterpiece "C'ERA UNA VOLTA IL WEST"?

It finally has the correct aspect ratio and a new anamorphic transfer - I would love to get it, but the previous edition did NOT have english subs... - anyone?

THANK YOU,

Seb
Old 09-12-02, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... surely you don't mean this Italian DVD release...?...

... a) it's not a 'Special Edition'

... b) it's not 'new'

... c) it has no English subtitles

... d) although anamorphic, it has been (BOO!!! HISS!!!) cropped to 1.85:1

. . . . . .
Old 09-12-02, 05:37 AM

Right, I do NOT mean that edition - the new one has a WHITE COVER and can be had at dvdplanet.it for example...

Seb
Old 09-12-02, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...could not find link... did find this site which shows plenty of "Once Upon a Time..." DVDs but not the one you refer to... can you provide a direct link?... you've got my curiosity piqued... (it seems odd that there should be a 'new' 'SE' in the correct AR, without dvd.it knowing about it)...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-12-02 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-12-02, 06:15 AM

NOT DVDPLANET.COM, hehe, but .it - link is here:

http://www.dvdplanet.it/detail.jsp?code=1896

It says ITALIAN subs - but their info is not always accurate... .

Thanks,

Seb
Old 09-12-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...but... but... but... WHY would you want this release ?... I see two things that are 'special' about it:
1) an interview (probably in Italian) with the Director
2) anamorphic transfer in correct AR of 2.35:1

...the disc features sottotitoli NU = subtitles for the non-hearing ... these would be Italian subs, natch

...the disc features a mono soundtrack in Italiano, natch, this being an ITALIAN release for the ITALIAN market, after all

...the disc also features a souped-up Quote DD 5.1. Unquote soundtrack - in ITALIAN, natch (see above)

...apparently the disc does NOT feature an ENGLISH soundtrack, mono or souped-up - which, for a movie that takes place in the AMERICAN WEST, and that stars AMERICAN actors Henry Fonda, Jason Robards Jr., Charles Bronson, Keenan Wynn, Lional Stander, Jack Elam and Woody Strode, should not be acceptable for a true fan...

...just MNSHO, that's all...

. . . . . .
Old 09-12-02, 09:39 AM

Hendrik, thanks for the input, but:

1) I wanted to know if someone got it - some retailers do not list the subtitles at all, and maybe there ARE English subs after all... - that's what I wanted to know

2) The movie was filmed in English and Italian, so I would assume an Italian only track is not worse than an English only track...

3) This is one of the greatest films of all time - and just the mere fact of having an acceptable version would be THRILLING

4) Ever watched the first 10 minutes? There is no dialogue, and it's one of the greatest scenes ever filmed!

Just MHO -
Old 09-12-02, 09:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Summerwine
2) The movie was filmed in English and Italian, so I would assume an Italian only track is not worse than an English only track...
This is true, but the lead actors (and hence the majority of the dialogue) spoke English.
Old 09-12-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...I would assume an Italian only track is not worse than an English only track..."

...deep sigh...

(...tiptoes out of the room, singing softly to himself: "To each his own..."...)

. . . . . .
Old 09-12-02, 10:37 AM

So you would want an ENGLISH ONLY track, Hendrik?
Old 09-12-02, 10:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
So you would want an ENGLISH ONLY track, Hendrik?
I imagine this would be the preferred track for most fans of the film. It is for me.
Old 09-12-02, 10:48 AM

It may be preferred, but that doesn't make it necessary to "deep sigh" if someone is okay with an Italian track if the US DVD is still lightyears - or at least 1 year - away... .

Hendrik, are you a teacher by any chance????

Seb
Old 09-12-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...am I a teacher? ...God forbid!... but I am something of a film 'purist'... and I might remind you that Leone did not pick a cast of American leads (plus one Italian actress who talks English very nicely, thank you) just for the heck of it!...

...I simply don't see why anyone (except Italians, of course, who don't know any better) would want a dubbed-into-Italian version of OUATITW - why not a dubbed-into-German or -French or -Spanish version then?... after all, one language is as good as another...

. . . . . .
Old 09-12-02, 11:24 AM

Not if the rest of the cast speaks Italian...

But anyway, all I wanted to is if maybe SOMEONE actually got this edition and could tell me whether there are English subs or not... .

What the heck is OUATITW anyway?

And did you see the GERMAN RELEASE OF "HEAVEN" yet, Hendrik?

Thanks,

Seb
Old 09-12-02, 11:42 AM

But anyway, all I wanted to is if maybe SOMEONE actually got this edition and could tell me whether there are English subs or not... .
No english subs.
Sorry.

Fede
Old 09-12-02, 11:45 AM

Hehe, thank you fedea!

So, HENDRIK, I WILL PASS HERE - hope that's ok now... .

Fede, do you know if "HABLE CON ELLA" (or in Italy "PARLA CON LEI") will have ENGLISH SUBS in addition to the original SPANISH Audio Track?

Thank you very much,

Seb
Old 09-12-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...And did you see the GERMAN RELEASE OF "HEAVEN" yet, Hendrik?"

...wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole... BECAUSE: dvdstation (still) claims it's GERMAN - with GERMAN subtitles ONLY... while glasnost only mentions Deutsch, Englisch (no mention of subs)... not long ago a friendly Swedish reader -who had actually seen the movie in the cinema- pointed out that the movie is in ITALIAN and English... and, anyway, we all know with 99,99903% certainty that Giovanni Ribisi doesn't speak German...

...deep, deep sigh...

. . . . . .
Old 09-12-02, 03:55 PM

Ok, you old ten-foot-poler: it has the ORIGINAL TRACK on it! It says "OmU" and has FIX German subs - I can turn them off with my player, so it's a pleasure to see it!

Seb
Old 09-12-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...I take it you are now talking about "Heaven"... so I assume that you understand spoken ITALIAN ... yes? ... and the rest is spoken in ENGLISH, not German ... yes?... the story, after all, involves an ENGLISH teacher in ITALY ... yes?

. . . . . .
Old 09-12-02, 04:11 PM

It's English and Italian - with German subs... - you are German-speaking, are you not?
Old 09-12-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...you are German-speaking, are you not?"

...indeed I am, not 'natively' but necessarily, since I live in the (Swiss)German-speaking part of Switzerland...

...ok, so you have the GERMAN disc, which features the 'original soundtrack', to wit: English and Italian dialogue - not a word of German spoken... I'll (have to) take your word for it, since the German DVD sites are NO help at all, in this respect (...for instance, the DVD Mann site mentions German DD 5.1, and English DD 5.1, not a word about Italian... other sites mention a German soundtrack only...who is one to believe? I ask you!)...

...btw, what does "OmU" mean??? ... never mind, it's German turbo-speak for Original mit Untertiteln... which could mean that on (at least!) 29 out of 30 DVD player brands and models you can not turn off unwanted 'locked' subs... in which case, as far as I'm concerned it's NO SALE... UNLESS... there are ALSO English subtitles, in which case the subs would be OPTIONAL, not 'locked', and then the Germans would have one more buyer for Mr Tykwer's latest opus... in fact, under the heading Untertitel the DVD Mann site mentions Deutsch and, curiously, Englisch für Hörgeschädigte... whatever...

...and there you go...

(signed) Anal 'Arry

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-12-02 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-13-02, 08:27 PM

I bought the laserdisc years ago and just recorded it onto DVD-R and it is fabulous. Excellent video / audio the best there is right now. Check half.com or ebay and buy the"letter-box" laserdisc and do what I did. Right now that is the only way to go on many of the excellent titles not yet released on DVD. The laserdisc and DVD-R is the answer.
Old 09-14-02, 07:57 AM

Fede, do you know if "HABLE CON ELLA" (or in Italy "PARLA CON LEI") will have ENGLISH SUBS in addition to the original SPANISH Audio Track?
Spanish or italian edition?

'cause italian edition will have only italian subtitles, as you can see here:
http://www.dvdweb.it/index.mv?103200...Ricerca_TITA_2

For spanish edition I suggest consulting www.dvdgo.com

Bye.

Fede
Old 09-14-02, 08:00 AM

Fede, are you sure it will NOT have the original SPANISH Audio Track? I kind of doubt that.

Hendrik: the disc only has GERMAN subtitles, those are "locked" but like I said, several players can work around that.

The OmU is the ORIGINAL TRACK, which is Italian and English with German subs.

Hope that helps,

Seb
Old 09-14-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...yup that helps... NO SALE...!...
(...fyi: contrary to your assertion, the -sad- fact is that exceedingly few players can "work around" removing 'locked' subs - I know for certain that my DENON and PANASONIC players can't do it...)

. . . . . .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.