Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica 'Live *hit Binge and Purge' DVD SET

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Metallica 'Live *hit Binge and Purge' DVD SET

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-02, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
YES!!!!!!! Metallica 'Live $hit Binge and Purge' DVD SET

From Metallica.com

Live $hit on DVD:
Yes, it's true. "Live $hit: Binge and Purge" will be released in a DVD format. The suggested list price is $59.99. The set will include 2 DVD disc's (San Diego and Seattle shows) and 3 audio disc's (the Mexico City shows) all packaged together in some sort of a box, but will be smaller than the original so that it can be found in the CD section. Details on this are still being worked out. Both the stencil and the sticky pass will be part of the set. The book will be on one of the DVDs to download and print. It will also be available on Metallica.com for downloading. Binge & Purge DVD set is scheduled to hit your favorite record store on November 12, 2002 (subject to change).
Check back for more details (including international release info) as we get 'em.

HELLA RAD !!!!
My VHS tapes are thrashed and the CD's are all but unplayable because of the usage they got.
Old 09-11-02, 04:57 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$60...damn??

Didnt the VHS version retail for $100!!
Old 09-11-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got it for $79.00 and I still see it for that price here and there.
I just wonder what type of box it will come in and why in the CD section????
Maybe it will be a mini to what it was in last time.
Still gonna get it though.
One kick ass set of concerts.
I was at the San Diego show and man..........always remember that one!
Old 09-11-02, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm, maybe I'll wait for it to come out on Kazaa. There was a time when I would consider paying that much money for a Metallica product, but not any more.
Old 09-11-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why is that?
Because of LOAD? RE-LOAD? Jason Newsted gone? Short hair?
Or because they got mad at people for downloading their music for free?

Whatever the case,happy downloading ...........
Old 09-11-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally posted by VHS?
Why is that?
Because of LOAD? RE-LOAD? Jason Newsted gone? Short hair?
Or because they got mad at people for downloading their music for free?

Whatever the case,happy downloading ...........
It's generally agreed that the "true" Metallica is from when Cliff was still alive.

Most Metallica fans -- myself included -- believe that the "black" album was their downfall. They moved away from the epic metal set-pieces to shorter, radio-friendly songs, even going so far as to include a dopey "ballad." To those of us who were in love the majesty, grandeur, and DIY screw the mainstream ethic of the early Metallica, it was the end of a once great band.

Pre-dated the Napster debacle by nearly a decade, and their reaction to Napster was no surprise to anyone who remembers Metallica "in the day" that they were pissing all over their roots. (FTR, Metallica came to attention by people mailing their demo across the country, low tech file trading.)

The "ballad" issue is one for the veterans of the late-80's metal wars. There was a time when "metal" bands were putting atrocious ballads on their albums in a bald-faced attempt to make the Top-40. It pretty much became a running joke.

(By the way, can anyone remember what the first "ballad" was from those days?)

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 09-12-02 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-11-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you mean by Metallica?or someone else?

As for the whole Metallica issue here.
I'm a huge fan and have been since hearing then for the first time in 83'
I know it pissed alot of people off for them to move to different styles,but that happens to them all.
They get noticed and thats it,goodbye roots.

I think to say a band now sucks because of that is just another example of being a 'bandwagoner'
Thats like loving a baseball team and then saying they suck and you don't like them anymore because they loose.

If you remember,VH-1 had the GREENDAY behind the music.
They explained that whole subject of being outed by the TRUE fans because they got a record deal.So noone is allowed to make money at what they do and love?
Metallica is still true to their fans.
I understand they got known by putting out demo tapes.But also there is a time when those demo tapes get in the right persons hands,they get to where they wanted to be,making music and getting paid to do it.

I do see what your post is about though.
And I respect your opinion.
In fact it was well said
Old 09-12-02, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Crap, I just dumped 54 bucks on an mint used copy thinking the dvds would never come. Ohwell, I love the killer box the most anyway hehe. I'll just make the dvd's fit in there somehow.
Old 09-12-02, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'd think they would just release the DVDs for those of us who still have the old box. I don't need another set of the CDs, and my tapes still play fine, so no double-dipping here!!
Old 09-12-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought this box set the day it came out...when I was a huge Metallica fan.
Now I could care less...and I sold my box set a couple years ago.

It's still fun to listen to old Metallica stuff though.
Old 09-12-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't care so much that they change their music style. More power to them. I don't even care they they didn't want peiople downloading their music for free. Lots of artists don't. However, what rubbed me in a VERY wrong way was that A) they have millions and millions of dollars, and B) when they were still rising to fame, a very big help was the fact that their demos and concerts were being bootlegged and copied and THAT'S how pelople learned about them. Metallica, infact, encouraged it. But then, 10 years later, when they are multi-millionaires with multi-platinum records, they actually have the balls to do the complete opposite, going so far as to activlely hunt out the fans who were using the internet to bootleg their music and have their accounts blocked on Napster.

THAT is totally pissing all over their roots. Not changing their music style, blah blah blah, but doing a complete 180 on their stance on bootlegging and going so far as to punish their own fans.

That told me that all they (or atleast the little monkey of a drummer who seems to control everything.) care about is money, now, and not the fans. BOO!
Old 09-12-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by shaun3000
they were still rising to fame, a very big help was the fact that their demos and concerts were being bootlegged and copied and THAT'S how pelople learned about them. Metallica, infact, encouraged it.
Metallica still encourages the recording and trading of concerts & shows. Their stance on Napster regarded studio/album material.
Old 09-12-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I'm another person who is not really a big fan anymore. Like most, the black album was their downfall. To me it does not have anything to do with becoming popular or changing their wardrobe. It was not the same music anymore and you can thank Bob Rock for screwing it up as well.

The Napster issue is so played out now it's nuts. I was another one that got into their music from a copy of an EP and some shows. I hope they actually do put out a good album in the future but I am not counting on it nor do I think they have it in them to actually do it.
Old 09-12-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really want the CDs, but the DVDs would be cool. As for them abandoning their roots, I thought Load was alright (no where near as good as the black album) and didn't like Reload. But their old stuff is still cool, just listened to some yesterday (Seek and Destroy!)
Old 09-22-02, 06:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Not a particular fan but....

<small>
Originally posted by Flashback
Well, I'm another person who is not really a big fan anymore. Like most, the black album was their downfall.
</small>.... on a newsgroup I saw someone recommend "Am I Blood" as the inheritors of their mantle. On their site someone wrote:
"Am I Blood picks up where metallica's black album left off so many years ago bringing an amazing sense of attitude and a sound that will absolutely blow you away. It has so many great metal elements to it that so many metal bands today have lacked for such a long time coming, J. Cermine's vocals are superbly done flowing with the intricate guitar workings that take place throughout the album's length.
Blazing solo's pick up where that leaves off with an intense barrage of metal riffing equaled by very few. It's an incredible album to hear. - "I thought that i was listening to metallica's new release, The songs were so intense, But they definately have a sound all their own and I love what I hear!" - Nathan Smith.
There are legal downloads from old albums here and a track from their latest album here.

Are the claims hyperbole?

Or did someone speak the truth for once?

Last edited by benedict; 09-22-02 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-22-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DUDE!
Did I just listen to Metallica there !!

Those guys are pretty damn good.
The lead even sounds like James!
Not bad,not bad at all.
I wonder though.Will they be called a Metallica cover band?Tribute band?Metallica wanna-be band?

Think I'll get some of their albums though,I liked them
Old 09-23-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been a Metallica fan since "Master of Puppets". I started listening from a copy of a tape a friend gave to me.

I was sad when Cliff died, but it didn't change the way I felt about the band when they replaced him. They had to go on, and Cliff's death wasn't something they could help. ...and Jason Newsted was an amazing bass player.

I even liked the black album, though I thought it wasn't nearly as good as ...and Justice for All. I didn't fault them for trying to become popular.

I wasn't even upset with the Load and Reload albums. Sure, it was different, but they weren't all 26 any more either. I didn't expect them to play Master of Puppets forever.

However, I was pissed when they railed against Napster. One way or another, that is the future of the music business. They could have worked with Napster, and they should have seen it as the natural evolution of the tape-swapping that got them started. Instead they chose to give it the big middle finger.

The very last straw was getting rid of Newsted. OK, he wasn't an original founding member. Yes, we were all saddened by Cliff's death. But when are you going to let that go and let the bass player be a part of the band? I'm sure Cliff would be proud of the way you ran Jason off.
Old 09-24-02, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally posted by einTier

The very last straw was getting rid of Newsted. OK, he wasn't an original founding member. Yes, we were all saddened by Cliff's death. But when are you going to let that go and let the bass player be a part of the band? I'm sure Cliff would be proud of the way you ran Jason off.
Call me a bit conspiracy-minded, but I think there might be an agenda at play here.

I've always gotten the feeling that Jason was never really "part" of the band. You saw his picture in the albums, you saw him in pictures of the band, but he seldom got any writing credits. And it always seemed like he was held to a different standard (he couldn't have his side projects, or whatever).

Now he's been gone for how long and they don't have a new bass player. My guess is that Metallica won't get a new bass player. They'll just use rotating session musicians to record and tour. Metallica will officially be a three-piece.

I think it all comes down to money. They don't want to bring someone new into their little corporation they have going.
Old 10-19-02, 05:25 AM
Mod Emeritus

Beatallica: Beatles tunes, done Metallica style.

http://www.sensoryresearch.com/~star...eatallica.html
Old 02-28-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Metallica Live Sh*t binge/Purge DVD.....WHERE!!??

What is the deal here?
I saw it when it was first released in a BestBuy ad.That lasted about one week.
Then all of a sudden nobody sells it?!
I look on thier site,not listed.
I look at a few other MAJOR retail stores online and nothing!
Whats the deal here.
Now you got jerks selling it on ebay for lame amounts.
Anyone know where I can get this online?Other than EBAY?
I emailed BB about the ad and all,so waiting for what they say.
Old 02-28-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846
Old 02-28-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmmm,that wasnt there the other day.
Thanks.
But damn,$54 !
Not bad concidering what you get but BB had it for $42
Oh well,gotta pay for what ya want!
Old 02-28-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought it at Fred Meyer for about 50, and best buy had it too for about 50. This was back when it came out though. Fred meyer had different packaging as well. It has a cardboard case with a door on the front that holds the Jewel Case inside. The one I saw at Best Buy had a smaller cardboard slip, the same size as the jewel.
Old 02-28-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

www.half.com has them for around $35-$42
www.deepdiscountdvd.com has it for $35.99
Old 03-01-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i got it free from my wea rep, one of the small frills of retail management.

i believe the 1st week best buy had it for 39 dollars. i saw it recently at borders in the dvd style case for like 50 dollars or so.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.