Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Expensive Tickets = Bad Crowds

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just went to the Stones show in Chicago at the United Center. 1/3 of the seats were around $350, another $150 and the rest at $90. I got lucky and was able to go with only buying beers as a thank you. What I noticed is that a lot of the people were just sitting around like they were watching TV. I know there are some fans of the Stones that are AARP members but c'mon. There is probably a more enthusiastic crowd at a Rex Reed show than there was last night. It really was more of a 'I'm cool because I was seen at an $$$ Stones show'. Reminded me of the fans that started going to the Bulls game when they were good. They could have given two sh*ts what was going on the court. UGH - END OF RANT.
Old 09-11-02, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call me crazy, but I think I'd rather have that than people jumping around and screaming during the songs. I paid to hear and enjoy the music, not sit next to some crazed stoner slam dancing with his posse. But then I'm strange like that.

~Scheherazade
Old 09-11-02, 02:02 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Scheherazade
Call me crazy, but I think I'd rather have that than people jumping around and screaming during the songs. I paid to hear and enjoy the music, not sit next to some crazed stoner slam dancing with his posse. But then I'm strange like that.

~Scheherazade
I feel the same way.
Old 09-11-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
Yep me too. Standing is OK, but invading others space is uncool.
Old 09-11-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

~Scheherazade
Oh - I agree - but the crowd didn't seem to be really into it. Their is a difference from having a great time and being abusive to the people next to you.
Old 09-11-02, 02:46 PM

Yeah, but when I go to a concert, I've actually paid to be part of a crowd, to experience live music. I agree, it's no good when somebody actively invades your space (or sings - badly - at the top of their lungs), but my enjoyment of a concert is diminished when the crowd acts diminished.
Old 09-11-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Flashback. I don't think there should even BE seats at a rock concert. Go sit at the symphony, or at a play, or a piano recital. This is supposed to be ROCK 'N ROLL, baby!

The concert that pops into my mind is a Duran Duran show from around '95 at a large outdoor theater. We were in the first few rows, and the crowd in that area (the "expensive" seats) were sitting the whole time. My date and I would pop up occasionally to dance when a particular favorite came on, and were asked more than once to sit down, because we were spoiling the view. My god, if you are that old, go see Robert Goulet at the dinner theater. Ironically, I have seen Duran a couple of times since at the House of Blues were there are no seats on the main floor, and the crowd has been great. Being on your feet inspires you to dance and get into the music. Sitting down inspires you to fall asleep.

I think the reason that the front rows at big shows are full of sitters is because most of those tickets are radio station giveaways and corporate giveaways, and friends of the guy who knows somebody involved with the show, so the people who end up there tend not to be the true fans.
Old 09-12-02, 07:44 AM

man I have been to some crazy concerts where people get killed if they sit...it's like that at any number of concerts that feature a "mosh" type of environment
Old 09-12-02, 06:57 PM

General Admission/SRO/Mosh = dancing

Reserved/Seats/Chairs = sitting

I have those expectations when I go to a concert. Most of the time it doesn't bother me too much if someone is into the show. Kinda get a kick out of it, to tell the truth. As long as you don't rock my boat, you paid your $$$ so have a good time. However, losing your friggin' mind, pounding the chairs and general spazzing out is not appreciated.

And let me say a big THANK YOU to Scheherazade for this classic blast: "I paid to hear and enjoy the music, not sit next to some crazed stoner slam dancing with his posse. But then I'm strange like that."

Two thumbs up!!!
Old 09-12-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts
While I agree with those who don't want stupid fans "invading their space", I have to say if the crowd is not into the show the energy is not going be there.

Crowds feed performers and vice versa.

I wen tto a Guns & Roses show back when they could sell and the crowd in our section was bored to death withthe ballads. I even fell asleep during the show.
Old 09-12-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Numanoid

I think the reason that the front rows at big shows are full of sitters is because most of those tickets are radio station giveaways and corporate giveaways, and friends of the guy who knows somebody involved with the show, so the people who end up there tend not to be the true fans.

YES!! Old farts trying be "In and happening" because they're at this show.

The REAL fans are usually sitting up in the rafters because s#it like this

I remember working Madonna's shows at the LA Sports Arena back in the 90's.

You know what she did? She didn't like the energy, or lack there of, in the first few rows so she had her people bring fans from the Upper level seats.

She got what she wanted.
Old 09-12-02, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went to a Titans game a few years ago and sat in my mother in-law's season seats. I was the only one getting up and cheering when George would bust out a good run. Everyone else acted like they were in front of their televisions.
Old 09-13-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Thumbs

Reserved/Seats/Chairs = sitting

Wait - you go to a rock concert at a stadium and expect people to sit because there is seating? That I don't get. If I'm on the stage and all the people are sitting at 'my' concert I would be really pissed.
Old 09-13-02, 07:27 AM

<sigh>
If I don't see chairs, I expect people to stand.
If I see chairs, I expect people to sit.
Is that so hard to understand?

I never said they HAVE to stand or they HAVE to sit. I did say if you pay for a ticket you can do whatever you want as long as you don't wreck my night because I paid also. If you want to sit on the floor, knock yourself out. If want to you dance in front of your seat, go ahead. Just have some courtesy both ways and we'll all have a good time.

Now, in regards to "If I'm on the stage and all the people are sitting at 'my' concert I would be really pissed." You are the performer. If you want people to get up and get into your show, then do your job! I didn't buy a ticket to entertain you, crank it up a little and get me going if you're not pleased with the mood! I could give you several examples where the band got the crowd going, the crowd got the band going, the band brought the crowd down, the crowd brought the band down, etc. Yes there are even examples where the band and the crowd were pumped from the beginning to the end.

Flashback, I had a similar experience at a Stones concert during the Steel Wheels tour. We agree more than you might think.
Old 09-13-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[rant] My only rant is about crowd surfers. Sure, if your at a hard rock/heavy metal show, go ahead and start mosh pits and crowd surf. If your at a rock show(ex: Fuel, Goo Goo Dolls, Tonic, etc.) don't crowd surf!!! Period. As soon as kids do, somebody is always getting fallen on or kicked in the head. That's why I have a policy of grabbing shoes and/or dropping crowd surfers as hard as I can. I hate watching a concert but having to look back every other second to make sure someone's not gonna take mine or a friend of mine's head off. [/rant]

Back on topic, I agree with what has been posted. You pay a lot of money to see the band, and they should expect that the casual fan can't afford it, that's why they get these old and/or rich people who couldn't give a sh*t about the concert.
Old 09-13-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
Standing is fine. At a rock concert, people should be allowed to stand thru the whole show if they want. I've been to shows where people complain the ushers that those in front of them will not sit down. Makes me want to slap them. I say tough **** if it is at a rock concert. I usually prefer to sit but if those in front of me want to stand, then I have no problem standing either. Performing arts (theater, opera, etc.) is another matter, and sitting is appropriate.
Old 09-13-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Thumbs
<sigh>
I never said they HAVE to stand or they HAVE to sit. I did say if you pay for a ticket you can do whatever you want as long as you don't wreck my night because I paid also. If you want to sit on the floor, knock yourself out. If want to you dance in front of your seat, go ahead. Just have some courtesy both ways and we'll all have a good time.

This makes sense to me and I agree fully.
Old 09-13-02, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by cdollaz
Standing is fine. At a rock concert, people should be allowed to stand thru the whole show if they want. I've been to shows where people complain the ushers that those in front of them will not sit down. Makes me want to slap them. I say tough **** if it is at a rock concert. I usually prefer to sit but if those in front of me want to stand, then I have no problem standing either. Performing arts (theater, opera, etc.) is another matter, and sitting is appropriate.
I agree with this. I rarely sit when I have seats. I maybe sit for like 1 or 2 songs to give my legs a rest, but other than that Im standing. Its when you have got a maniac infront of you who is slamming dancing with his bud in isle seating! Or someone who is singing at the top of their lungs where you cant even hear the real singer. Those are the types of things that anoy me the most.
Old 09-15-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wanna know what lame ass concerts you guys go to where you can actually hear the person next to you

The shows I go to you can't hear anything but music.
Old 09-15-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, but you can be into the show while sitting down I think. And standing is fine too. I'd just rather be with people appreciating the music quietly rather than fanboys trying to impress other people with war whoops and mating calls and the latest dance moves while bellowing the lyrics of every song they play on the radio (and still getting most of the words wrong) just to prove they know the same song I do but choose to keep to myself.

It's like all those "fans" who go to showings of older "cult" type movies and sit their and recite the lines with the movie. Congratulations, you memorized the damn script... now shut up and let me enjoy the movie.

~Scheherazade
Old 09-15-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

~Scheherazade
Ok crazy , I disagree.

When I pay money for a ticket I don't just want to hear the music... I want to feel the music. I wanna jump around in a pit with a bunch of other fans. If I went to a concert and just sat there listening I would hate it because I could do that at home with my $10 CD.
Old 09-16-02, 11:08 AM

It's like all those "fans" who go to showings of older "cult" type movies and sit their and recite the lines with the movie. Congratulations, you memorized the damn script... now shut up and let me enjoy the movie.
You don't really go to Monty Python's Holy Grail expecting to watch the movie in peace, do you? If I recall going to that (or Rocky Horror), I wasn't going to the movie to see the movie, but to be part of an experience. There are very, very few movies that fall into that category. If you're lucky enough to have a theatre showing Eisenstein films, it's doubtful there are going to be people quoting dialogue. (Especially from his silent films. )

Essentially I think we agree, it's just that our definition of (or tolerance of ) boorish, unacceptable concert behavior for a particular type of concert may differ.
Old 09-17-02, 10:25 PM

I've been told to sit down during rock concerts at least three times in my lifetime. At one point, myself and a couple of girls were all huddled in a group standing together while others were sitting. A woman behind us first pulled on my shirt telling me, "You need to sit down. We didn't pay to see your ass". Then, when we refused to sit, she had the usher come talk to us. The usher comes over to us and says, "Listen, the lady behind you wants you to sit, but I have to be honest. I've never encountered this before. Most of the time, *everyone* stands. So, I've told you - now - have fun." and winked.

Lazy asses.

And yeah, it was a more expensive ticket.
Old 09-17-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
The first time I saw the Stones, the cheap, general admission "seats" were the ones on the floor (no actual seats or anything like that). The more expensive reserved seats were farther back.