Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice on External DTS Decoder Needed

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-02, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping some of you guys could give me some advice on where to find a "reasonably priced" external dts decoder. I had looked previously at a Technics SH-AC500D. I have seen some of the Technics sh-ac500d's on Ebay, but the prices seem kind of high for a used unit that is several years old. I need to find one around $100.00 if possible. Don't have to have "top of the line", just want something to be able to enjoy dts sound on my system (my sony pro-logic receiver is ready, but must be used with an external decoder).

What other models of external decoders are there? I can't find much information so far on this. Any help you guys can give would be much appreciated.
Old 09-10-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Welcome to the forum. If you go to ebay and do a search among the completed auctions using the keywords "Millennium DTS", you'll find that there is a product that might be in your price range.

Stepping up to 5.1 sound will be a big improvement over Dolby Pro Logic, however you're still more likely to run into a DVD that only has DD 5.1 rather than DTS or both DTS and DD. So if you really want to enjoy 5.1 on as many movies as possible, you'd be better off with something like the Technics which can decode both DD and DTS.
Old 09-11-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

its probably cheaper to buy a new DVD player that has the DTS decoding built in. I just bought a Sony NS500V for $179.00 and received 5 free movies. Shipping I think was like $10.00. Whats nice about this player is it play CDR/CDRW and VCD's and SVCD's. The 5 free movies really made it worth wild because I didn't have those movies. But if you do then I am sure you can get at least $12.00 for each movie on ebay. Bringing down the price of the player to about $120.00 Great price for a player with these features. Considering I paid over $300. for my 530D Sony player.

if you do a search on my user name in the HW forum you will find the thread that list the DVD players with built in DTS decoding.

here's the thread.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=218596

Here's the player I bought.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QqPsnrQ...158DVS500V&s=0

Here is another I considered but I didn't need progressive scan
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QqPsnrQ...p?i=158DVP755V

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 09-11-02 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-11-02, 11:20 AM

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice. I actually have decided to go ahead and upgrade my receiver to one that has a dolby and dts decoder built in. I am looking at a Sony Str-De685 ( I can get it for about $270, which will include shipping.) Can't really spend anymore than that right now. Do any of you have any other recommendations in that price range? All advice greatly appreciated, as I am not very well educated in all the new dolby and dts capable receivers that are available now. Is that a good price for the Sony?
Old 09-11-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you might want to look at the Onkyo SR 500 which should be roughly the same price. I would personally stay away from Sony receivers other than the ES line.
Old 09-11-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also recommend the Onkyo SR-500. I have the 2000 version of that model. Don't let the specs fool, it has plenty of power.
Old 09-11-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What kind of receiver do you currently have?
If it is a good one I say keep it and buy a new player.
Old 09-14-02, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by fox1966
Hi guys, thanks for all the advice. I actually have decided to go ahead and upgrade my receiver to one that has a dolby and dts decoder built in. I am looking at a Sony Str-De685 ( I can get it for about $270, which will include shipping.) Can't really spend anymore than that right now. Do any of you have any other recommendations in that price range? All advice greatly appreciated, as I am not very well educated in all the new dolby and dts capable receivers that are available now. Is that a good price for the Sony?
IMO, skip the Sony DE series....it's strictly mass market. Not very good build quality IMO. Step up to the Sony DB or top of the line ES series. The DB series has a number of quality parts shared with the ES series. You will pay a bit more, but IMO the DB series is definately worth it.

Dave
Old 09-14-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DavidY
IMO, skip the Sony DE series....it's strictly mass market. Not very good build quality IMO. Step up to the Sony DB or top of the line ES series. The DB series has a number of quality parts shared with the ES series. You will pay a bit more, but IMO the DB series is definately worth it.

Dave
Dave,

Actually for this new year, Sony is no longer producing the DB series but instead expanding the ES series with some lower models which would be the equivalent of the DB series if they did indeed produce that this year. Regardless, and older DB or new ES would make a very nice choice.

As for an external decoder, check out this thread at the Home Theater Forum where many of the decoders designed for computer soundsytems are being used by members. You can get some of these for under $150 which do both DD and DTS.

Cheap Decoder Thread @ HTF

Justin