Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Audio problem with Toshbia DVD player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-02, 12:37 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an audio problem with my H.T.. I think it's my DVD player (Toshiba SD2200). The sound cuts in and out during playback. It's very brief and only happens maybe once or twice during the movie. I rewind the movie back to the same spot and it doesn't occur (which rules out layer changes making the problem). Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm have a Yamaha Receiver and I use a Toslink cable to connect them. The Toslink is a Monster cable. Thanks in advance.
That Hansel is so hot right now. Hansel - Mugatu (Zoolander)
Old 09-09-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know the earlier generation Toshibas had this problem with sound dropouts but I hadn't heard anything about the generation you have. If it happens with all discs I would say you need a firmware upgrade through Toshiba.
Old 09-09-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Audio problem with Toshbia DVD player?

Originally posted by Iz Splat
I have an audio problem with my H.T.. I think it's my DVD player (Toshiba SD2200). The sound cuts in and out during playback. It's very brief and only happens maybe once or twice during the movie. I rewind the movie back to the same spot and it doesn't occur (which rules out layer changes making the problem). Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm have a Yamaha Receiver and I use a Toslink cable to connect them. The Toslink is a Monster cable. Thanks in advance.
I know this may sound like a dumb question, but have you checked to make sure all of your cables are connected firmly in place, and that none of them are being bent or crushed?
Old 09-10-02, 07:18 AM
Cool New Member

Yes, all cables are connected correctly and are hooked up straight to each component. I've tried to clean the DVD player with a Radioshack DVD lens cleaner (no luck). What is Firmware? I have a three year warranty. I was actually considered taking it back, even though I love this DVD player.
Old 09-11-02, 05:50 AM
Cool New Member

Anyone else think Firmware would help this problem? Does Firmware fix audio problems?
Old 09-11-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The firmware basically means the way your DVD player's computer chips are programmed. It's not hardware because it's not a physical component, but it's not software because you do not have access to use or change it on your own.

If there is something wrong with the firmware in your DVD player, returning or exchanging it is the best course of action. How long have you had it? If those options aren't available to you, try acting on the warranty.
Old 09-11-02, 10:50 AM
Cool New Member

Josh - I've had the DVD player since 2000. Never had a problem until a few months ago. My warranty with Best Buy is almost expired. Would upgrading the Firmware fix the audio problem? Best buy might try to give me a hard time since I might not be able to show them what is wrong with the DVD player. It's a random occurance. I'm trying to come to a conclusion as what to do. I 'm willing to try to return it but if Firmware will fix it, I might do that.