DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Another newbie...

Old 09-08-02, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker Question...

Hey guys, I got an old Sony receiver with Cerwin Vega VS 80 speakers that I'm using with a Tos SD 1700 DVD and a Tos 27" flat screen. I want to move up to DD/DTS/PLII and was wondering if I could keep the VS 80s as main speakers and just buy a couple of rear speakers for awhile. This would allow me to spend a little more on a receiver (considering a Denon...) and later a good sub. I like the sound of the vs 80s with my current stereo setup and they range from 38-2000. Am I whiffin' in the wind? I've got a small living room (14 X 24) and condo neighbors, so I don't need tons of power.

Any suggestions on the back speakers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tony J.

Last edited by tonyj; 09-09-02 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-09-02, 08:00 AM

Well I guess my speakers are older than most of you... 8^>

No opinions?

Is the main reason for all the little speakers in surround systems price? Does anyone use 4 3-ways as the main and rear? Better/Worse?
Old 09-09-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go ahead and toss the extra money into the receiver and then start saving for better speakers after that. Better to build good components one at a time than have mediocre components you bought all at once, IMHO. (unless the current speakers are hard to listen to, anyways)

The little speakers in HTIB are for size and cost for the manufacturer, I think. You can put tinny little speakers in a HT as long as you've got a loud enough subwoofer to add the richness of sound. Some of the small speakers don't actually sound too bad, but if you see a system like that demo'ed, turn off the sub and you'll hear how bad the small speakers are alone. Plus, I suppose (for some unknown reason) some people may not want large, nice sounding speakers in their living room, or may not have the space for them.

I've got 3 ways for my front R/L, a 2 way for my center, and some old single surrounds that I'm looking to upgrade to 2 or 3 ways, depending on what I can afford and like.
Old 09-09-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I highly recommend getting some bookshelf speakers because I think that the sound quality for the price is much better than with tower speakers.

Several speaker companies such as PSB, Paradigm, Energy, and Def Tech make excellent speakers for around $150-250 a pair. (to get towers of the same quality you would have to spend at least $400)
Old 09-09-02, 11:16 PM

Thanks.

I've read some great things about the Onkyo for $650. That and a couple of bookshelf speakers (the Polks RT25i sounds interesting...), should get me by. If I don't like the sound of either pair, I can retire them to the bedroom with the old stereo... Later a good sub and center channel. In a few months I should have a pretty decent sounding system. I can't wait to pop in The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD or "Stop Making Sense".

Later,
TJ
Old 09-11-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by skar
I highly recommend getting some bookshelf speakers because I think that the sound quality for the price is much better than with tower speakers.

Several speaker companies such as PSB, Paradigm, Energy, and Def Tech make excellent speakers for around $150-250 a pair. (to get towers of the same quality you would have to spend at least $400)
So are you saying that the book shelf speakers are the same as the towers you are just paying more for them?