Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameCube digital video output

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GameCube digital video output

Has anyone with a GameCube bought either the S-video or component video cables. If so, what's your opinion?

Apparently the component cable also has progressive scan capabilities. I was reading about it in Nintendo's online store and was wondering if it would be worth the money. Ideally I'd like the component, but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell much of a difference.
Old 09-07-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm told that progressive scan technology is still quite expensive and that the more inexpensive Progressive Scan DVD players on the market aren't really progressive scan and that the image quality doesn't even come close to a higher end PS player and that the image quality is closer to that of a higher end non-progressive scan player (in the 200-300 dollar range). Based on that, I always figured that the progressive scan features of the GCN weren't going to be all that impressive. I haven't experienced it first hand though, so take that for what it's worth.
Old 09-07-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

S-video makes a nice improvement over composite, even on my 32" TV. I don't have a progressive scan TV, and don't feel like dropping $30 on a cable to go interlaced component, so I haven't tried that out yet.
Old 09-08-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by focker
S-video makes a nice improvement over composite, even on my 32" TV.
I'll agree with that at least... that's true in almost every case.
Old 09-08-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't tried the Component, or for that matter the composite. I've got mine going S-Video through a multiple input selector.

I would not go anything less than S-video personally. I'd say going component, would depend on your setup, etc. You can get the S-video cables for about $10 without looking hard.
Old 09-08-02, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I first bought the S-video because it was only $10-15 and didn't even realize there was component for it. After I purchased Beach Spikers and was denied the Progressive Scan mode because of my lack of Component, I decided enough. I dropped the 30 to Nintendo for the cable, and boy does it ever make a difference. It makes 2X difference or more on the S-video cable, and was pleasantly suprised to get progressive 16X9 on Super monkey ball 2 etc.

If you got Hdtv, get em .
Old 09-08-02, 01:38 AM

Sorry little off topic, but can someone tell me how to get dolby digital to work with the gamecube? Also, will it work with the s-video cable? or do you need to use the component cable? Thanks.

P.S. I think s-video looks alot better than the composite cable.
Old 09-08-02, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Cigar
Sorry little off topic, but can someone tell me how to get dolby digital to work with the gamecube? Also, will it work with the s-video cable? or do you need to use the component cable? Thanks.
Nintendo went with the fabulous choice of DPL II instead of Dolby Digital .

Ugh that's the one thing I hate about the system.
Old 09-08-02, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Actually DPII is getting some really great reviews from Home Theater and Sound and Vision for whatever that's worth, but obviously it's not preferrable to DD.
Old 09-08-02, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
I first bought the S-video because it was only $10-15 and didn't even realize there was component for it. After I purchased Beach Spikers and was denied the Progressive Scan mode because of my lack of Component, I decided enough. I dropped the 30 to Nintendo for the cable, and boy does it ever make a difference. It makes 2X difference or more on the S-video cable, and was pleasantly suprised to get progressive 16X9 on Super monkey ball 2 etc.

If you got Hdtv, get em .
Well that's good news - I'm glad there's a signifigant difference.
Old 09-08-02, 10:06 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
It makes 2X difference or more on the S-video cable, and was pleasantly suprised to get progressive 16X9 on Super monkey ball 2 etc.
Yeah, that one blew me away too. And the clarity looks so much improved over the orignial S. Monkey Ball. Yeah, if you can support the output, you'd be silly not to pick up the cables.
Old 09-08-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only got a 27" tv, so I'm not sure how big of a difference it will make. I'm thinking about either getting the S-video and leaving it at that, or getting the component in case I upgrade my tv.
Old 09-08-02, 10:36 AM

I have the component cables, and it makes a huuuuge difference. The detail and colors are so much better than the regular composite cable that I think it was worth the $30. If the money isn't a major problem, I'd say it's a must.
Old 09-08-02, 12:24 PM

Well,ya DPLII, but how do you hook it up? there's no optical cable, will it work with the s-video cables, or do you need to use the component cable's?

Thank's
Old 09-08-02, 12:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
DPL2 is a two-channel system (matrixed 5.1), just like DPL (which is matrixed 4.0). You just have to have a DPL2 compatable receiver, which weren't very common a year ago but are more prevelant now.
Old 09-08-02, 12:41 PM

Well,ya DPLII, but how do you hook it up? there's no optical cable, will it work with the s-video cables, or do you need to use the component cable's?

Thank's
Cigar, s-video and component video are video cables - not audio. I honestly don't remember whether s-video carries an audio channel, but I know for a fact that component video does not. What that means is that the audio cables you use are completely separate from the video cables. The only time this isn't true is with RCA (composite) because they usually include the third line for audio.
Old 09-08-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank's
All you need, like Groucho said, is a receiver that can handle DPLII and the stereo (red and white) cables that came with the Gamecube. Whether or not you're using s-video or component doesn't matter, those are both just for video, neither carries any audio. The s-video cable come just like the cable that are packaged with the gamecube, the difference is that instead of a yellow cable there is an s-video plug. I think the component cables come without any audio cables, they go into the digital output and you hook up your original cables in order to get the sound.
Old 09-08-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by blakwngbrd
Cigar, s-video and component video are video cables - not audio. I honestly don't remember whether s-video carries an audio channel, but I know for a fact that component video does not. What that means is that the audio cables you use are completely separate from the video cables. The only time this isn't true is with RCA (composite) because they usually include the third line for audio.

Your are right. Composite has one video yellow and then two audio left and right. S video and Component video is only video no Audio at all.
Old 09-08-02, 07:54 PM

O.K. Thank's
Old 09-10-02, 03:07 PM

I recently ordered this VGA cable from a Hong Kong company. The instructions to build one yourself are here but I didn't feel like doing it, nor did I think I could do a good job, so I just bought one someone else made.

I'll give impressions of how it works when it arrives, along with comments on speed of service, shadiness, etc. People at the IGN boards have gotten this cable, though, so I'm pretty sure it'll work out well. They say the VGA progressive scan is very nice.
Old 09-10-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you have a TV with progressive scan, the cables are def. worth the money. Games look awesome. If you don't have a PS TV the improvment over Svideo in minimal.
Old 09-10-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have component cables and a progressive scan tv. It is a huge difference over the regular composite cables. Playing Rogue Leader with the composite cables had no sharpness at all, and the colors were very dull. The component cables make all of the colors very crisp and sharp. Basically, if you have component inputs on your TV you should be using component cables (isn't this the reason you bought a tv with component input in the first place?). If S-video is your best possible input use that. I just pray to god people out there aren't using RFU adapters hehe, it's time to upgrade then.