Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sega Realignment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sega Realignment?

I saw this on IGN and was wondering if anyone has heard about this from anywhere else (IGN isn't exactly the bast of sources...).

Sega is reportedly going to align itself with a major console manufacturer very soon. That is to say that Sega, which is currently "platform agnostic," will be buddying up with Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft, in a very big way, basically exclusive to that system, very soon -- according to a little bird we know. The implications are huge and we simply don't know how far the repercussions will go -- does it include sports, too? -- but whatever Sega does is a big, big deal. Go Sega (and since we're feeling ridiculously fanboyish right now, please don't saddle up with Microsoft, OK? That would be just be hurtful.)
Link
Old 09-07-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
That's cool. I'd guess they would simply go where the money is if that's true. PS2 is deep into people's homes, so that's one logical choice. Xbox pretty much took their spot and has the deep pockets to offer them lots of money, so that's also a logical choice. Nintendo seems to me to be the least likely contender, but anything's possible... they did get Sonic exclusively, so perhaps I'm wrong. PS2 doesn't see a whole lot of Sega games as it is, so maybe that's out too. Dreamcast used a Windows CE operating system, so maybe Sega's development team will take that into consideration when choosing which platform would be easiest to program for. If this story turns out to be true, I think it would be cool for Xbox to get a huge name like Sega behind them.
Old 09-07-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the hell is "Align" supposed to mean?
Old 09-07-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=align
Old 09-07-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ctyner

If its the PS2 I will go buy one tommorow. I am that much Segas bitch.
Old 09-07-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ctyner
hehe, that works.

Personally I think it wouldn't be a very smart move for Sega (why limit themselves to one console) but it will be a big boost for whichever company they decide to go with.
Old 09-07-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If an offer was made to buy Sega outright why wuss around it and say they may "align" themselves with somebody?
Old 09-07-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joltaddict
If an offer was made to buy Sega outright why wuss around it and say they may "align" themselves with somebody?
It doesn't sound like (or it didn't to me at least) that someone is buying Sega. I thought it sounded like they are just making an agreement to produce games for someone, basically becoming a second party company without losing ownership.
Old 09-07-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by joltaddict

I'd agree that just considering the number of currently available titles and the sort of cash it would take to sway Sega, Microsoft would seem to be the most likely candidate.

I'm extremely skeptical about this at the moment, though.
Old 09-07-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a Dreamcast, XBox and a Gamecube and it already pisses me off that I dont have VF4 on any of them. If its Sony that will be the final straw, Ill cave. Ill probally be single, but Ill have my Sega games.
Old 09-07-02, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Icculus
basically becoming a second party company
Then why not just say that? Dont try to be cute. IGN can kiss my hairy nads.
Old 09-07-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This seems unlikely, but we will see. My guess would be PS2 if they go exclusive.

If they leave Xbox it might be how poorly Gunvalkyre and Jet Set Radio sold. Anyone know how World Series Baseball did on Xbox? I thought that would have been a good selling game. Its probably too early to know about Sega GT.

By the same token I don't seem them being a Nintendo exclusive. Monkey Ball and Sonic did well, but Sega seems to not want to put the more mature titles on Game Cube.

If it does happen I would figure it would be PS2, but even that seems strange considering only VF4 has been exclusive to PS2.

I won't be surprised if this rumor turns out to be false.
Old 09-07-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You know it won't be Sony... I'm not sure if the same powers-that-be are still in charge at sega, but they've had a grudge against sony from what i've read in the mags.

I'd be willing to bet its Microsoft. Microsoft wants those Sega titles and properties all to themself.
Old 09-07-02, 04:21 PM
Banned

Whatever system it is, I imagine alot of SEGA fans to buy it if they dont have it already...

I have an XBOX, and thats all I want.. but if SEGA aligns with PS2 or NGC, I hvae it tomorrow.

-Jim
Old 09-07-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well Sega currently has that 11 game deal with MS. How many Sega titles have been released for Xbox? I know that Panzer Dragoon and Shenmue 2 are exclusive titles set to be released soon. Maybe when the MS deal is over, Sega may have a new deal with Nintendo. Sega already has a few 2003 exclusive games in development for Gamecube:

Virtua Fighter Quest
F-Zero
Sonic Adventure
Skies of Arcadia

Plus remember when Shigeru Miyamoto hinted that Sonic may appear in Mario Kart Gamecube? Or maybe this rumor is about MS buying out Sega...

Last edited by CreatureX; 09-07-02 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-07-02, 05:17 PM

I have all 3 systems, and I just hope it isn't the PS2. That would create too many good titles on that system, and might help crush Xbox and Gamecube too much... I hope that all 3 systems survive, as it is clear that the consumer benefits from all the price cuts. I kinda hope it is MS, b/c the xbox has some real benefits to it, with its speed, hard drive, etc. I don't want more good games for the PS2, that require me to wait long load times, buy memory cards, and have poorer graphics and sound than the other consoles.
Old 09-07-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I would prefer it to be Xbox or Game Cube as well. PS2 already has a big enough advantage without getting Sega as a second party.

The Triforce thing is confusing. If they have teamed with Nintendo on it, why would they abandon them in the console market.

The company that could least afford to lose Sega is the Xbox. Sony doesn't need them and Nintendo has themselves, but the Xbox would be hurt badly if it lost Sega. That would make them way too dependent on Namco for good exclusive games from Japan.

Last edited by darkside; 09-07-02 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-07-02, 06:27 PM

Microsoft seems to be the most likely candidate.

Sega just announced that all of their new Sports titles on the Xbox would be Xbox Live compatible and they are not doing this for the other consoles. If you think about it Sega jumped on the online gaming bandwagon well before anyone else did and that’s because they realized a long time ago that online is the future of gaming. Now, looking at all 3 consoles which one has the best online plans? Microsoft... So, I think Sega is looking at which console would be the best to align themselves with for the long run not the short run.
Old 09-07-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by uzforce
Sega just announced that all of their new Sports titles on the Xbox would be Xbox Live compatible and they are not doing this for the other consoles.
To add fuel to that fire why is Inside Drive NOT Live compatable?
Old 09-07-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Inside Drive sucks anyway...
Old 09-07-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ive been strictly NBA2KX since NBA2K (the first) and I thought Inside Drive was great. When Sega finally released it last year I still stuck with Inside.
Old 09-07-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sega should align with EA, Interplay and Sierra and then make their own console - the Dreamcast 2 - it would be exactly like the Xbox except people wouldn't say "Micro$oft" and turn their nose up like babies. The Dreamcast 2 would play all the old Dreamcast games and Xbox games and Capcom would make Resident Evil for it and it would be better than the Nintendo version cuz it would have way more blood - not like when they came out with Mortal Kombat and it had no blood and then they came out with a version where you could have green blood cuz that was stupid. I'm 10 years old today... sorry.
Old 09-07-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
unless they are getting a ton of money- the XBox is not the best to align themselves with since it is selling so slowly.

Sega should be smart and sell their games to every console making themselves the most money. why limit themselves?

really they have three options-
1- get a ton of money from one of the companies(any one) and go exclusive.
-the least potential payoof unless the money is big or the money is very good and it is the PS2 with 35 Million consoles.

2- make games for all consoles.
can make the most money this way- if no one is able to pay you off to go exclusive.

3- go with the console with the most potential sales the PS2 and try to get the best licensing agreement possible to make the most money on your games.

could be the best deal if they get a real good licensing agreement and they can put all development costs into one console instead of three.

who knows what will happen especially when you are discussing rumors
Old 09-07-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its seems silly to me to be exclusive. Why sell games on one console when you can sell it on three with minimal extra costs. If Sega cuts their sports title off from PS2 customers they are foolish. Microsoft or Nintendo couldn't possible give them enough money to make up for those lost sales.
Old 09-07-02, 07:53 PM

I don't know if I buy this rumor, they seem to be doing better off as a multiconsole developer. I found this link at cubenation to a comparison of sales of Sega games across the GC, Xbox and PS2.

LINK

I'm not really sure but for some reason it seems fairly dependable. From those sales I had been wondering why Sega was not bailing on the Xbox until I heard about the 11 game deal contract, as none of the Xbox exclusives even broke 100k units sold. It looks like the PS2 is definitely the way to go if they're doing this realignment thing, though it would be cool if they would make use of the technology of the GC and Xbox. Maybe they are really working with Sony co-create the PS3.....it could stand for Play Sega 3?! I dunno......

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.