Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Thing (Xbox)

Old 09-05-02, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Thing (Xbox)

As you may or may not have known, EB's online site had this deal that if you pre-ordered The Thing for either the PS2 or Xbox you would get The Thing DVD for free (along with free Fed Ex shipping).
So I open the rather large (for two DVDs) Fed Ex box, and out comes the game and a slim line CD case with the DVD movie (not to mention no protective packaging). How cheesy is that? No DVD case, no labeling, no nothing. I know it's the DVD that counts, but when some one offers a free DVD, I expected the same thing that I would have gotten if I went to my local retail outlet. Not cool, EB.
Old 09-05-02, 12:57 PM

That sucks. I was going to pre-order also but I decided to by the DVD seperate. My girl friend just picked the Xbox version for me. Can't wait to get home to play. To bad it's opening night for the NFL tonight. I have to go to the bar to watch the game.
Old 09-05-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yea i was pissed when i got mine liek this as well for PC. even more mad when Best buy and fry's had it on sale for with the movie (full packaging) for even cheaper
Old 09-05-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So someone comes in and asks one of my co-workers for The Thing for the PS2. And she's like, what thing? A memory card? And he was like, no The Thing game for the PS2. You mean Madden? It went on like this until I got over my amusement and intervened.
Old 09-08-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked up my copy today along with a copy of Blade II for the XBOX. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 09-08-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this boring?

I don't mean to break up the game and DVD thing but it is just me or this game boring!!

I love the graphics and the sound but where is the action? I want to kill some monsters already!

All I'm doing is going back and forth doing something stupid.
Old 09-09-02, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Um yeah - try spending more than 5 minutes with a game before forming an opinion. The game has plenty of stuff to shoot at, trust me.
Old 09-09-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well.......

Originally posted by Trigger
Um yeah - try spending more than 5 minutes with a game before forming an opinion. The game has plenty of stuff to shoot at, trust me.
I hope so! All I see is this little like spiders things going after me and the crew. How big are the mosters going to get? so far I killed one that was about a human height and no big deal.

What's with the aiming? I want to point and shoot as soon as I see them but noooo, I have to wait for the auto aim orange (or red) circle around the creatures before shooting or I will be wasting bullets!
Old 09-09-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been playing this game for the PC for a couple days now.
I'm not too happy with it so far either.

First off, the aiming system pisses me off. As a previous poster mentioned, you can't just use your mouse (or joystick) to aim wherever you want. Noooo...you gotta wait for the stupid box to appear around an enemy.
Also, the enemies are pretty lame so far. Although, I am only about 1.5 hrs into the game. I've been playing for longer than that, but I keep dying from my own flame thrower. That's the main peeve I've got with this game. It seems like if I use the flame thrower for more than a few seconds, and try to move around AT ALL, I instantly die (no matter how much life I have).

I don't know, maybe they fixed these issues with the PS2/Xbox versions. Hell, the game had all kinds of bugs before I dled the 1.1 patch for the PC.
Old 09-09-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Zodo
I've been playing this game for the PC for a couple days now.
I'm not too happy with it so far either.

I've been playing for longer than that, but I keep dying from my own flame thrower. (no matter how much life I have).

I don't know, maybe they fixed these issues with the PS2/Xbox versions.
You are right about the flame thrower. I died the first time I used the thing too!!

I'm playing the Xbox version and it seems that everyone got the same version with the same issues.
Old 09-09-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,059 Likes on 642 Posts
I don't have the game but i did read someone that if you use the flame thrower you also need to have a fire extinguisher in your possession.
Old 09-09-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The flamethrower you don't get until later in the game - you might have a utility torch that you have to walk backwards while using. It's for killing those small bug things and to set fire to those humanoids... you have to run up, dose the humanoid with some flames and run away. The flamethrower is actually alot better since it shoots forward instead of at the floor.

If you don't like the auto-aim, then go into first person mode and shoot stuff - that's what I do. The machine gun isn't any more accurate without auto-aim. Trust me, the auto-aim is your friend - especially when you get a shotgun and especially when those little bug things start coming after you 50 at a time.

I have encountered zero bugs since installing the patch - they were really on top of problems with that patch. The only real bug reported was a sound issue during a few cut-scenes, but the patch fixed it.
Old 09-28-02, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

bump
Old 09-28-02, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AAAHHH!!! Even more clone threads.. which one is the real thread???? Which one should we kill before it kills us?
Old 09-28-02, 08:01 AM

How cheesy is that? No DVD case, no labeling, no nothing. I know it's the DVD that counts, but when some one offers a free DVD, I expected the same thing that I would have gotten if I went to my local retail outlet. Not cool, EB.

Pasco,

I pre-ordered the game at EB, and that's the same way I received the DVD. No real DVD case, just the movie inside a clear plastic case (similar to a cd).

Anj