Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Some questions about Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions about Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

So I'm about 3 hours into this game after coming off Ocarina of Time and I'm finding some things hard to understand. I'm trying my best to get through this game without resorting to any guides from gamefaqs.com so I was hoping you guys could answer a couple of questions.

Well, I guess my main question is about the time travel issue. How will I know when a "new objective" is to be completed. Here's my problem. I completed the first "area", the town, with the final showdown being retrieving my ocarina from the skull kid.

I then entered the swamp area and completed the dungeon behind the waterfall defeating the "jungle warrior" and retrieving a heart container. At this time I had less than one hour left on the 3 day countdown. The way the story went I thought I would have rescued some princess in the dungeon and went back to the Deku headquarters to free the monkey, but my fairy was saying that the next objective is the mountains. With not enough time to do either, I played the Ocarina of time to warp to the dawn of the first day. This put me back at the point where I was after retrieving my Ocarina, which would mean I will have to go through the whole swamp area again.

Is this right? Do I have to replay the entire swamp area again?
Old 09-03-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah Majora's Mask what a great game. I loved the whole time limit/end of the world story line.

If I remember correctly, once you beat a boss character and then go back in time, when you return to the dungeon/temple where you defeated the boss, there will be a warp right after you enter the dungeon/temple. This warp will take you straight to the boss to replay the battle without having to do the entire dungeon again.

Now I haven't played the game in a while, but I seem to remember that after I beat the jungle warrior boss, I then entered another room where the princess was being held and rescued her. I remember that she needed to be
Spoiler:
placed inside a jar
to be taken back home.

Also the time limit will become less of an issue when you discover the ocarina songs that
Spoiler:
slow down time
and
Spoiler:
warp you around the world

Last edited by CreatureX; 09-03-02 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-03-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I didn't read the spoiler text, but if there was another room connected to the boss's room then I'll be kicking myself. As soon as I defeated the boss, I collected my heart container and entered the "blue warpy thing" that you enter after a boss is defeated. Things were getting kind of hectic when I saw the hour countdown before I got to the boss fight. I believe I had about 4 "hours" to defeat the boss.

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-03-02, 12:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
You will always be warped back to day 1 and everything about the landscape will be as it was. The only things that change are what you gain in your inventory. You don't have to replay areas if you retrieved the necessary items.

Anyway, I do think you missed something. You'll need to warp to the boss and beat him again.
Old 08-07-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm playing this right now, and having a heck of a time.

Once you smack an owl, your game is saved - but you can basically only save once per owl. Very strange!

I've had to go rescue that stupid bird-lady like 5 times now, because I keep running out of sticks to light the torch or I die, or something. Argh, I'm like on the 2nd quest and ready to quit already. What a pain.

Do you have to 'relearn' all the song if you quit mid-quest? For example, do I have to keep going to talk to the monkey to learn the song that opens the temple or can I just play it?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-07-03, 10:46 AM

Once you learn a song, it's yours forever.
Old 08-07-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Once you learn a song, it's yours forever.
Well, that's not true... at least in the 'book' of songs. I talked to the monkey and learned the song, opened the temple thing, and quit. When I went back the song was gone from my repitoire. But I can still use it if I play it?
Old 08-07-03, 10:53 AM

the point of the owl is to save if you need to stop, for example i was collecting the 15 faires in the temple and i was about halfway through and I had to eat. so i hit the bird and i saved then i turned the n64 off. then when i got back turned it on and there was an owl head by my save file and then when i went into it i just started back at the owl where i left off
Old 08-07-03, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by suziq999
Well, that's not true... at least in the 'book' of songs. I talked to the monkey and learned the song, opened the temple thing, and quit. When I went back the song was gone from my repitoire. But I can still use it if I play it?

After you learned the song and opened the temple did you happen to play the song of time? If not you didnt save so you have to get the song and open the temple again. And you cant play a song if its not on your pause screen
Old 08-07-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Justin00787
After you learned the song and opened the temple did you happen to play the song of time?
The song of time saves your game? Now I'm really confused. No, I don't think I did play it.

The thing about the owl is if you hit it and keep playing, then you end up back on day 1 if you restart and you loose everything. Its kind of wierd. Its like there is NO real save unless you beat a boss.

And the way I play is s-l-o-w... checking out all kinds of stuff so it really isn't condusive to this three day stuff.
Old 08-07-03, 11:05 AM

yes, the song of time saves your game, after you play it you return to the 1st day and the owl is a temporary save, after you save at one your returned to the menu with an owl head by your name once you go back into it the owl head will be gone and it will be just like you continued where you left off and you have to use the statue again to tamporary save because if you dont and turn the N64 off without playing the song of time it doesnt save anything until you played the song of time last, its confusing, do you happen to have a messenger? it would be easier to help you out lol
Old 08-07-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm. Thanks Justin I am starting to understand. No, don't have messenger, lol.

The song of time saves your game, but doesn't it 'undo' what you've done in that chapter if you haven't finished it? For instance, if I save that bird-lady chick and go learn the monkey song but don't go through and kill the boss and then play the song, I will have to go rescue her again so she kills the octopus thing with the boat so I can get to the doku palace so the monkey can teach me the song so I can beat the boss again! Phew!

My problem is that I just can't get through a chapter in one sitting...
Old 08-07-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This confused the hell out of me too. Everytime you play the song of time you pretty much start back at the very beginning but you get to keep whatever items/songs you were able to collect. You also gain a warp point at the beginning of a dungeon to take you to the boss of that dungeon if you made it that far.

You also learn a song sometime that slows down time that should give you plenty of time to finish a chapter in 3 days.

lol
Old 08-07-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bet you were suprised to see this back from the dead!

For some reason I *know* I don't get to keep the stupid monkey song. I get to keep the owl one, but not the monkey one. I get to keep the chicken mask, too. And I guess I haven't gotten far enough along to get the portal to the jungle boss. Argh, its driving me crazy and I've only been playing 3 days!

Tell me its worth it.
Old 08-07-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish I could tell you it was worth it...

<small>but I eventually moved on to something else without finishing it</small>
Old 08-07-03, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Justin00787
do you happen to have a messenger? it would be easier to help you out lol
Well, THAT was thinly veiled.
Old 08-07-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Well, THAT was thinly veiled.

its hard to find girls that like nintendo you know.
Old 08-07-03, 03:57 PM

many girls like Nintendo, you just gotta know where to look
Old 08-07-03, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by suziq999
its hard to find girls that like nintendo you know.
Not after they came out with Animal Crossing.