Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

A couple of quick newbie questions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-02, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) I know that component cables provide the best DVD quality. What I'm wondering is, how important is the quality of the component cables themselves? I bought component cables at Radio Shack, and now I'm wondering if they will degrade the quality of the image because, well, they are radio shack cables.

2) And one more thing: What does it mean when people say that the aspect ratio is "Anamorphic"?

And one more dumb questions, something I've always wondered about:

3) If you leave a freeze frame on the TV screen for too long, does it damage the tube by burning the image onto the screen, sort of the way computer screens do? If so, how long would this take to happen?

Thanks!

Last edited by RGiles; 09-01-02 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-01-02, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many of these types of question can be answered by searching or taking a look at the forum's FAQ.

"Anamorphic" is thoroughly covered in the main forum's FAQ.

As far as cable quality goes, some people will say any cable will do. Some people swear by expensive cables. Most who would answer your question here would start by asking you what kind of a display and upstream video components you have. The more your display is capable of displaying, the more likely you'll be able to notice a difference between different cables, if they even exist at all.

Leaving a stationary image on your screen can lead to burn-in. The type of display you have will greatly affect the amount of time this will take, with rear projection tvs being the most susceptible to this problem. Turning down the contrast and brightness, and/or calibrating your set with a set-up disc such as Avia or Video Essentials will at least get your set out of the "torch mode" that it most likely came from the factory with, and make burn-in less likely.

Last edited by stevevt; 09-01-02 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-01-02, 10:27 PM

You're right -- I should have searched for this stuff before posting. Sorry to clog up the forum with duplicate posts.

As for my television -- it's only a 20" tv (I live in a studio apartment), but it's the best non-HDTV 20" I could find; it has a component input and everything. It's a JVC model, "AV-20D202". Although the television is small, its quality is high enough that there is a very noticeable difference between the component cables and other cables. The image is clearly better using component. Which suggests to me that quality of the component cable itself might also make a difference.
Old 09-02-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Go with good cables. The initial cost may seem high, but a good set of cables (Monster, AR, etc) will outlast all your other components and you'll use them for years. Oh, and good choice on the tv
Old 09-03-02, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the recommendations, Tommy.