Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Has Mafia been released?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Has Mafia been released?

...and if so, does anyone have it? I've been waiting for this one for a (very long) while and saw a report that it was released yesterday (8/28).
Old 08-29-02, 11:26 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People on other forums I visit are talking about it... seems like it's getting good feedback so far. It's supposed to be on shelves this week, I think. Seems like car physics are much more realistic than, say, GTA3, but that doesn't mean they're more fun, just more realistic. I'm hoping BB or CC do some sort of deal on it in the next week or two.
Old 08-29-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've had this on my radar for quite some time and I am also waiting for a BB deal. BB didn't have it yesterday... maybe tomorrow? I'm going back to BB today I think. I'll ask, but they are idiot so they'll tell me it won't be out for another 6 months or something stupid. I called BB a few days ago asking if The Thing for the PC was on sale and they said "no, it's 49.99 - that's a new game and new games don't go on sale until they've been out for at least 3 months or so" I argued with him, but he was firm in his statement. I went to BB that day and sure enough it was on sale... bastards.
Old 08-29-02, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ebgames.com has it for 40 bucks plus you get a $10 off coupon towards your next purchase. It would be nice except their shipping is like 6 bucks.
Old 08-29-02, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
playing it now. i too have seen alot of people saying this is gonna be just like/better then GTA3. this is what i have to say to them:

this game is no GTA3.

sure the similarities are there and i am in no way saying the game is bad, its just that it has a totally different feel. going around killing people doesn't seem as fun to me as it does in GTA3. and the driving doesn't even compare. u never seem to pick up very much speed and the turning isn't as responsive. both of those aren't necessarily bad things, cuz i'm sure cars back then drove slower and didn't turn as well as cars today do, but i guess it adds to the games realism.

i dunno, these r my initial reactions when i see people comparing this game to GTA3. In my opinion, i don't think its going to be quite as good in the "freedom" department. as far as story and voice acting goes, it does do a better job then GTA3......so far.

i definetly think i'm gonna spend some more time playin this game though (i can't wait till they order me to do a drive by). its just gonna take a little while longer for me to decide if the game is just good or if its great.
Old 08-29-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the review.
Old 08-29-02, 02:42 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Trigger
I called BB a few days ago asking if The Thing for the PC was on sale and they said "no, it's 49.99 - that's a new game and new games don't go on sale until they've been out for at least 3 months or so" I argued with him, but he was firm in his statement. I went to BB that day and sure enough it was on sale... bastards.
I took me a while to figure out what you meant... I was reading "on sale" as "available for sale." Nah, usually BB & CC have sales on new games within the first month or so of their releases. Good thing one of you knew what you were talking about.
Old 08-29-02, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll probably stop at Circuit City on my way home from work and see if they've got it (the nearest BB is 20 minutes out of my way). Then again, I may just play a little more Mario Sunshine and not worry about this game for a while.
Old 08-29-02, 10:01 PM

IGN's review is up, and it looks good!

Presentation 9.0

Graphics 9.0

Sound 9.5

Gameplay 9.0

Lst. Appeal 8.0

Overall 9.2
Old 08-29-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds good to me. Now all I need is a good deal. I think I might need a new computer too actually.
Old 08-30-02, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a link to the Mafia thread I started back in February...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=180273
Old 08-30-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can any other Mafia owners please tell me where the freakin quick save and quick load keys are?? or how to save at all for that matter lol Looked through the control options and I'm either blind or its not there.....

edit - I really don't think there is quick save feature. It only seems to save automatically after each mission is complete. Still wish there was the GTA3 hideout save feature any time I wanted though

Last edited by Shuki; 08-30-02 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-31-02, 10:31 AM

This game is absolutely mind-blowing! The graphics are great, it's fun as hell (especially free ride mode), and it's one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. The music really helps in that department.

As far as the quick saves, I think the game saves automatically every time you complete a task. I'm not sure if there's actually a button that will save for you.
Old 08-31-02, 04:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

No advertised deals on Mafia in this week's BB or CC fliers.... *sigh*. Maybe next week.
Old 09-01-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At CompUSA you get a free copy of Max Payne when you buy Mafia for $50. Not a bad deal.

I already owned Max Payne a while ago and I didn't like it much then so I'd probably sell it.
Old 09-01-02, 09:14 AM
Admin Emeritus

I'm waiting for it to go on sale @ BB for $35 or so. Use my 20% off coupon from PC Gamer + the $5 GC I got from buying Res Dogs there... $24 + tax.
Old 09-01-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I figure I can sell Max Payne for at least $15. That drops the price below $35. I've got no coupons unfortunately but I do have that $5 GC. I might wait for a better deal though. I don't really need a game right now.
Old 09-01-02, 10:09 AM

The game is average at best. Those of you looking for another GTA3 will be very disappointed.

The graphics are ok, nothing spectacular (about the same as Max Payne, maybe worse). The gameplay is quite boring and control is questionable. It's basically slowly run around, or drive a few really slow cars that all look identical to one another. I've encountered a few weapons, but the baseball bad beats them all When you run people over, theres no blood or anything, they just lay on the ground. The map/radar is completely useless, which leaves you running around this city blind. The city IS huge, but it all looks the same, making it very easy to get lost. Last but not least the game takes about 1.8gigs of space to install, which is a bit extreme.

Bottom line, I'd try it before you buy it if at all possible. It's another case of IGN over rating a game. I'd give it about at 5.0-6.0. Needs much improvement. Its getting un-installed momentarily and going in my 'never play it again pile'
Old 09-01-02, 12:24 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by discostu1337
Bottom line, I'd try it before you buy it if at all possible.
Is there a legal and ethical way to do this that anyone can think of?
Old 09-01-02, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling
Is there a legal and ethical way to do this that anyone can think of?

sure. u open ur irc program, log onto dalnet, join channel #war.....ooooooh, u said ethical. then ur answer is NO.

Old 09-01-02, 01:05 PM

borrow from a friend perhaps? Get a demo?
Old 09-01-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll give you 30 bucks for it since you're never gonna play it again... I'm assuming it's all still in mint condition with the box.
Old 09-02-02, 10:56 PM
wiz

I have it...been making my way through the SP...pretty interesting game and very story driven. The interface is kind of like GTA3, but there's not quite as much freedom to just run around and do what you want in the city. I think it's pretty cool though...
Old 09-08-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any sales or deals on this game?
Old 09-08-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't see anything in the BB or CC ads or on salescircular.com.

Anyone have any more impressions of the game?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.