Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Donny Brasco SE

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-02, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donny Brasco SE

I asked this question before in reference to the princess bride and groundhog day. Gonna pick up the se's for those two.

Yesterday i remembered that i have the first donny brasco release, and after seeing the se at best buy..

What does this se add? is it worth to buy despite having the first release?

thanks all,
sathlin
Old 08-28-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

commentary and doco, I believe, neither too interesting. I upgraded (and made some money on the deal since it was a preorder then) but honestly the benefits were limited.
Old 08-28-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are some pretty decent deleted scenes as well.
Old 08-28-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the transfer or audio better, worse, or about the same?
Old 08-28-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe it's the same one used in the earlier version. Anyone?
Old 08-28-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a big fan of Al Pacino, however it seems like a few of my favorites movies that he stars in suffer from medicore to poor transfer. (i.e. Carlito's Way, Scarface) I heard the transfer from Donnie Brasco was OK, nothing great. Can anyone comment on this or other Pacino movies?
Old 08-29-02, 10:11 AM

no one likes the se version of this movie??
Old 08-29-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like it but I wouldn't suggest someone go to extra expense to get it over the original disc. In fact, the original disc has a much nicer box cover sesign for what it's worth.
Old 08-29-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Spy021
I'm a big fan of Al Pacino, however it seems like a few of my favorites movies that he stars in suffer from medicore to poor transfer. (i.e. Carlito's Way, Scarface) I heard the transfer from Donnie Brasco was OK, nothing great. Can anyone comment on this or other Pacino movies?
I think the transfer on Brasco is fine
Old 12-18-04, 01:04 PM

So the final answer on if the SE transfer is the same as the original is that they are the same, right?

I still have the original release, should I upgrade? I don't care about the special features, just a better transfer. Thanks.
Old 12-18-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I upgraded because I love this film and I enjoy DVD extras... Here's a break down from a review over at DVDAnswers.com

Video
Donnie Brasco: Special Edition was transferred in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and looks absolutely stellar. It appears as though the original print that was used in this transfer was pristine, as I was not able to notice any speckles, scratches or pixelation. Columbia TriStar should be commended for this fine transfer.

Audio
This film is presented in Dolby Digital 5.0 in English and Dolby 2.0 Surround in English, French and Spanish. In addition to the crisp clean look, its audio options are also great. The dialogue came through clear and was not drowned out by the music track. The surrounds were also exceptional which add a great deal of authenticity to the film. It’s been a while since I actually watched a film on DVD that did not seem to have some kind of flaw on its audio track. With this one, I was unable to locate a single flaw.

Extras
Donnie Brasco: Special Edition is one of those DVD’s that is labeled a “special edition”, however, I was a bit disappointed in the amount of extras. Granted, there are some great special features that would merit this film to be labeled “special”, however, I was expecting more.

First, there is an audio commentary by director Mike Newell. This is probably one of the best commentaries I have ever heard. Newell, who hails from England, is extremely familiar with his “American” material and that only adds to his commentary. I think he could be labeled an “actor’s director” as he comments about Pacino’s performance, costumes, and sincerely coming off as a man who appreciates his film. Newell did a large amount of research before tackling the subject of the American Mafia... and it is obvious that it served him and the film well.

Next there are five deleted scenes, of which Newell provides a commentary. These scenes are presented in full-frame and give some insight into some of the scenes that appeared to have been cut short in the final cut of the film.

Two documentaries, a 23-minute featurette called “Donnie Brasco: Out of the Shadows” features an interview with the real Joe Pistone and a seven-minute featurette that is extremely promotional in tone and doesn’t have a lot of replay value. However, both are informative. And “Out of the Shadows” seemed to be the most interesting to me because of the interview with the real Pistone.

Also featured is an isolated score track, a photo gallery, the theatrical trailer, three “bonus” trailers, talent files on the director and actors, production notes and DVD-ROM weblinks.
Old 12-18-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey look, posts of mine from over 2 years ago. Hey fellas! Long time no see!
Old 12-18-04, 08:40 PM

Thanks mikewendt, Donnie Brasco is one of my favorite movies too. It is my favorite Pacino movie, probably my fav Depp one too but I really liked Neverland. I just never upgraded to the SE of this version after I got my HDTV. Looks like I need to. Thanks a lot.

Gil Jawetz, yeah I noticed it was a pretty old post, but that's what the search function is for right?