Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

super monkey balll 2 goodness

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-02, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
super monkey balll 2 goodness

I picked up SMB2 today from eb. lovin it, lovin it.
only thing is all the new party games are locked. need to spend some time rackin up some play points.
did not like story mode
when they do their special dance and song, nasty. looks like bad japenese tv.

racing new items added (missles, and stoppers)
new glove in boxing (iron glove very effective)

beginner challenge mode is super easy. too easy. but have the say the bonus stages are nifty and inventive.
so far im on extra stage 7

start playin!

my 2.2 cents,
squishable squidget

Last edited by squidget; 08-27-02 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-27-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ei-Ei-Poo!
Old 08-28-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it just me, or do the monkeys sound like they keep saying "monchichi"? It's giving me 80's flashbacks. I love that dance thing they do. It's so bad, it makes me laugh. It's gonna get annoying soon though. I haven't got enough points to unlock any party games, but I'm almost there. Most of the single player levels I've played are pretty easy, but they are starting to get a little harder. I can't remember what stage I'm on. This game is great!

Ei-Ei-Poo! Now that's way more catchy than Shine Get.
Old 08-28-02, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there a way to keep racking up points without continuing through the SP game? Because what happens if you get stuff on a level?
I know in SMB1, you could just play the beginner levels over and over again until you had enough points to unlock everything. I don't see how one can do that in SMB2 though.
Old 08-28-02, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The first time they did that little dance and started saying Poo I was cracking up! I'm up to world 3 in the story mode but two of the "timing" levels pissed me off so I will try again today.
Old 08-28-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Zodo: Try challenge mode, it's set up the same way as the main game in the first one. I wish they would let you earn points with more than one person playing, though.
Old 08-28-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Edison: are you stuck on that stupid one on the third set of levels (water levels), where the big balls drop down and you gotta time just right how you move under them.

I played that level like 30 times yesterday, and still couldn't beat it. I hate timing stuff like that...
I'll keep playing though, definitely. The games' very addictive.

Aghama: thanks for the info. I'll try Challenge mode if i end up getting too frustrated with story mode.
Old 08-28-02, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by Zodo
Edison: are you stuck on that stupid one on the third set of levels (water levels), where the big balls drop down and you gotta time just right how you move under them.

I played that level like 30 times yesterday, and still couldn't beat it. I hate timing stuff like that...
I'll keep playing though, definitely. The games' very addictive.
Try going backwards in the beginning to slow down the dropping balls. When you first start the level, you land on the fast forward button. There's a play button which is slower behind that.
Old 08-28-02, 03:40 PM

more things:

monkey target, i perfer the first. flying together is nifty and all (really good for knocking people off the targets) however, no more wheel of danger, it seems a lot easier to fly, and if u get enough bananas, u can win regardless of landing on a target. (the whole piont of the game)

mokey golf, i like the addition of the different woods, irons and now being able to slice.

monkey bowling, about the same however the crazy lane challenge was helluva fun. (especially after 2 jello shots)

got to bonus stage 9 on beginner last night. must play more.
need more points.
Old 08-28-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most, if not all of the Ex stages for the beginning round are also in story mode. I hope there actually does end up being 150 stages, but I don't know where they're going to come from.

They should have kept the wheel of danger, but made instantaneous. Waiting 15 seconds for the damn thing to stop was irritating.

I love the new lanes in bowling. I played it once and got around a 110...130 is necessary to play advanced. Are there totally new lanes for each difficultly level? That would be dope.

I unlocked monkey shot, which is pretty cool but has very little to do with monkeys and/or balls. I'll probably go for tennis next.

A lot of the single player levels are cool...but some of them seem to rely a little too much on luck (like the rotating squares one in world 3). I hope it's just that I suck at them.
Old 08-28-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How does the difficulty of this game compare to the original? Truth be told I wasn't all that good at the first and I'm a bit worried this game might be a bit too frustrating for me. I'll probably still get it just for the multiplayer though.
Old 08-28-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not far enough to judge difficulty, but it's undoubtedly more frustrating, if that makes any sense.
Old 08-28-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, i think it's about the same level of difficulty. When you think about it, you only beat 40 levels before you got on master level in SMB1...I was able to beat 40 levels in 'story mode' fairly quickly, but now it's starting to get REALLY difficult (just like master level was to me in SMB1).

Just make sure when you're playing to pay attention to the map. You may miss stuff that makes the level like 10X easier (like i did on the one water level).

I'm still having a lot of fun with this new 'themed' single player though. I really like how you can move between levels if you get stuck on a particular one. That way you don't have to sit there and get really frustrated with the same level..you can just move on.

Last edited by Zodo; 08-28-02 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-28-02, 09:08 PM

for s & g i went to expert
d00d.
so not easy
the 2nd one is fun though (the free-fall)
on 4 now, with the shuffling walk

got to about level 21 on advanced

unlocked monkey shot. kinda cool but nothing about monkies
i think ill unlock monkey boating next. i played that level at e3 and it makes for good party fun
Old 08-29-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Played some Monkey Tennis last night. It was fun, except I have trouble judging where the ball is when I play at the top end of the court. Of course, that's how it usually is for me at tennis games, until I get used to them. It's lots of fun though. There's singles, doubles, and a tournament mode. Can't wait to unlock more games.
Old 08-29-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
4-10 in story mode

Any hints on beating 4-10 in story mode? It's called arthropod with the giant legs around the cylinder.
Old 08-29-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
There was a blurb somewhere (in the latest GamePRO I think) that when you get enough points to open a mini game (2500 points I think) don't chose one but instead copy that save to another memory card. Choose your mini game on the original card if you don't like the one you unlocked you can delete that save copy the dupe back over and open a different mini game.
Old 08-29-02, 11:08 AM

Re: 4-10 in story mode

Originally posted by deadlax
Any hints on beating 4-10 in story mode? It's called arthropod with the giant legs around the cylinder.
d00d,
that one is hard. i was playing it last night and give up.
i got pretty close, i should be able to get thru tonight.
what i was doing, was waiting for the goal to make almost full revolution then i navigate thru the legs. you gotta keep a good speed though or you'll fall off. i almost got thru this way.

unlocked monkey dogfight. its like monkey shot, except u shot each other.
Old 08-29-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Enough.. I am going to get Monkey Ball 2 now.. It has been to hard reading the reviews and you guys talk about it, to wait until the price drops. Darn you all

Can't wait
Old 08-29-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spaceboy, we'll miss you... (ok, that was a bad pumpkins joke).

Anyways, this game is great.

I'm stuck on that stupid Arthropod level too though. I didn't know the goal made a revolution though, so I'll attempt to beat it with that knowledge now.
Old 08-29-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
even with the revolution on 4-10, that leg hits you on the last ring every time at 36 seconds.
Old 08-29-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm having a lot of fun with MB2 but I'm having a hard time flying with Monkey Target.

I almost never make it to the targets.

Here's what I do:
I push the stick forward to go down the ramp
then I press A to open ball at the highest point
then I move the stick forward and back to keep him flying

What am I doing wrong ?
Old 08-29-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

strutz: that method worked fine in SMB1...but I think they may have changed things a bit for SMB2

Have you read the instructions yet?
Old 08-29-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Zodo
strutz: that method worked fine in SMB1...but I think they may have changed things a bit for SMB2

Have you read the instructions yet?

Yes, it just says to move the stick up & down.
Old 08-29-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't move it up and down much. I just follow the path of the bananas and it gets me there fine every time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.