Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Player for HKG VCD

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

DVD Player for HKG VCD

Old 08-27-02, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Player for HKG VCD

I just got an APEX 1100W (1MB version) with firmware upgrade (www.nerd-out.com). It is region free and macrovision off now. However, when I try to play multi-language VCD (L and R channels carry different languages). I am not able to select individual language. It ends up both languages of the VCD come out in L & R speaker simultaneously.

What DVD player (region free) do you use to view your VCD? My old DVD player has no problem with it ('cos it has vocal assist which is a karaoke feature), but it has over heat problem so I need a new player.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-28-02, 02:41 PM

I'm not familiar with the Apex, but you should only have to toggle an Audio button on your remote between L/R and Stereo to choose audio tracks.

The Daewoo is the only exception I know of. In that case, for vcds only, the audio channel has to be selected from the Setup Menu.
Old 08-28-02, 02:54 PM

I checked their manual (http://www.apexdigitalinc.com/images...s/AD-1100W.pdf)... looks like the remote doesn't have such a button.
Try using the "angle" button - on some players this is used for selecting the audio channel during VCD playback. Alternatively, some TVs have an equivalent function. I personally use a Raite (which features "audio select").
Old 08-29-02, 06:59 AM

Page 24 shows an Audio button below the SubTitle button but only describes DVD playback. Still, I'd try that first.

Page 31 shows a menu for Dolby Digital Setup and an option for L-Mono and R-Mono.

Desertracer, you must have figured it out by now. So, which was the real solution?
Old 09-03-02, 04:27 PM

Thanks guys,

I've tried the Dobly Digital Setup -> L,R Mono doesn't do anything in the VCD playback. The Audio button doesn't do anything neither. I'll try the Angle button to see if that will work or not. I don't know if my TV can do the mono or not. Will let you guys know.

Meanwhile, I'm shopping for another DVD player which can do multi-region and VCD / SVCD. Any suggestion?
Old 09-04-02, 11:50 AM

The Angle button doesn't do it. I guess I'll need another player to play it.
Old 09-04-02, 12:15 PM

I see you've been to the apex forum at nerd-out and it sounds like it can't be done. I never would have believed it. Well I guess I learned something today.
Old 09-04-02, 06:11 PM

I've sent email to APEX. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.
Old 09-05-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

since the APEX is made by Shinco, a China-based company, I too find it totally hard to believe that the audio button would not work for audio separation on VCDs. I'll try my Shinco this weekend on a VCD and see what I can find.
Old 09-05-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, you could always you composite audio cables and run them into an open place on your receiver and yank the offending side off to listen to only one channel.

Just an alternative.
Old 09-05-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heck. I was watching a show on TV recently and the stupid broadcasters had one language on the left channel and one on the right. I had to turn off the right speaker just to get the preferred language. I mean TV?
Old 09-05-02, 03:05 PM

I didn't know APEX is made by Shinco. However, I've tried the Audio button with different VCDs and it doesn't work.

Yank out one of the channel is a stoneage method even though it works. I rather to get a player without doing this to view my VCDs.
Old 09-05-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Desert: You do realize that the 1100W manual does not say you can play VCDs. It says DVDs/Audio CDs/MP3;s and KODAK DISCS!

But as noted before the manual does say:

PRESS SETUP
SELECT DOLBY DIGITAL SETUP
SELECT DUAL MONO
SELECT L-MONO OR R-MONO

And if that doesn't do it then yank the cord.. $0.02
Old 09-07-02, 06:54 PM

doesn't work! Found APEX 1500 in COMPUSA store. Tried the VCD and it has the same menu like the 1100. But it has the same problem! LR MONO doesn't really work. Ended up my VCR has the LR mono function. But no S-video 'cos DVD -> VCR -> TV.
Old 09-08-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All you have to do is switch the balance on whatever you're actually playing the audio through. If it's your HT receiver, slide the balance all the way to the right or left for the language you want. If you're watching it on a stereo TV, do the same on the audio setup on the TV.
Old 09-08-02, 09:59 PM

problem solved! got a Apex 1500. It's remote has a 'vocal assist' button which can select channels! gonna to return the 1100 to Walmart