Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My Exprience buying Resevoir Dogs DVD at Best Buy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had to share this story. Well, I, for some reason, got Men In Black on DVD like 3 months ago when it was on sale for $13.99 I believe, and I never opened it. I wanted to go get Resevoir Dogs today, but really didnt have the money. So I thought, Maybe they would take back my MIB DVD. Well, I called up, asked them if they would, and they said sure. I went up there, returned it at full price $21.25 after tax, and got a store credit. BB is running that promoation for a free $5 gift card with the purchase of Resevoir dogs DVD. So I went to go get it, THe Mr. Brown edition of coarse. The way they do their gift cards with DVD like this is they take how ever much the gift card is going to be off the price of the DVD and charge you full for the gift cards, works out the same, so no bid deal. Well, you cant pay for a gift card with a store credit, so the lady explained this to me after working on it for like 15 minutes, I was like, well, this is a problem. She was like, well, I can take $5 off the price of the DVD and sell it to you at $10.99, and just you dont get a gift card, I was like Sweet, saves me $5 off the total then. Well, as I was talking to her when she was taking the $5 off the DVD, she forgot she had already done it once, and then did it again. She took $10 off accidently, and didnt notice that she was selling me the DVD for the Price of $5.99 now. I didnt say anything of coarse. So I ended up with $15.50 still on my Store Credit, which was still origanly more than I paid for that MIB DVD. It worked out great (for Me). Now when I go buy my PS2 Network adapter next week, I get $15 towards that now. Gotta Love Best Buy. I jsut thought I had to share this story with you all...
Old 08-27-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I
Believe
This
Looks like a non-bargain!
Old 08-27-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, I'll do it this time:

removed attack
Old 08-27-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I went to Tower at 10am to be 100% sure i'll pick up a Mr. Brown DVD. Turns out they had about 10 of each cover! Only problem was, it wasn't on sale, and I wasn't going to pay $26.99 when Circuit City had it for $15.99. I also checked Tower and another store for Return Of The Living Dead...but the only store that had it was Circuit City, and that was the only copy.

Dean
Old 08-27-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good goin on the Mr.Brown,all the Ebayers got mine before I could get one but its no biggie I'll pick up Blonde this weekend.
Old 08-27-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gee, I guess we should congratulate someone for taking advantage of a decent clerk that was trying to be helpful.

So, you traded in MIB,
and got your RD, "THe Mr. Brown edition of coarse" (sic)

........BFD
Old 08-27-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was just specifying that it was Mr. Brown. And I did not take advantage of her. Are you saying you would say "Hey, you didnt charge me enough, let me give you more of my money"? Cause if you say Yes, I will call you a Liar
Old 08-27-02, 06:50 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Like, that's totally dishonest. Nice work!
Old 08-27-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by REL77
I was just specifying that it was Mr. Brown. And I did not take advantage of her. Are you saying you would say "Hey, you didnt charge me enough, let me give you more of my money"? Cause if you say Yes, I will call you a Liar
Why don't you believe that? For some people, cheating and stealing make them feel worse, not better. If she'd given you too much change, would you have kept that too? This isn't that different--although at least the cashier probably won't get in trouble for it.
Old 08-27-02, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

About a month ago I was buying cigs at a gas station. The lady gave me $10 too much. I came back a week later and gave her back the $10. So there.

I dare you to call me "liar" to my face!!!
Old 08-27-02, 10:20 PM

I went to BB in the afternoon today, and all they had were about 40 copies of the Mr. Pink version and about 10 copies of the Mr. White version.

On a separate note, the BB employe did try to give me too much change on my purchase ($5), and I gave it back.
Old 08-29-02, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel for the people who don't believe in the existence of honesty. These are the same people who feel that its OK to be dishonest, just because they think all the "liars" out there are dishonest as well. That's just pathetic.
Old 08-29-02, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

why give any money..if you held a gun to the clerks head you could have gotten a whole stack of gift cards AND the dvd for nothing......you robbed her plain and simple
Old 08-29-02, 08:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Interesting that this thread stays open, but when I talk about how I get Coke for free that thread gets closed. Of "coarse."
Old 08-29-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And I did not take advantage of her. Are you saying you would say "Hey, you didnt charge me enough, let me give you more of my money"? Cause if you say Yes, I will call you a Liar
Well, then I guess I'm a liar. Because that's exactly what I would have done.
Old 08-29-02, 11:01 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert

Well, then I guess I'm a liar. Because that's exactly what I would have done.
Another "liar" right here.
Old 08-29-02, 11:45 AM

Hey, I hate some of the goofballs at Best Buy more than anyone, but not correcting a mistake that you notice while you're being rung up at the cash register is just plain dishonest.

Worse yet is that the employee in question may have been fired or had the extra $5 taken out of her pay, depending on what type of person her supervisor is.

So I hope you remember this every time you sit down and watch your DVD.
Old 08-29-02, 02:46 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A couple of months ago I returned a DVD to Target. The nice CSR took my DVD and receipt, rang it up, and then handed me another receipt, the $$ and the DVD. I took the receipt and the money, and told her to keep the DVD since I had just returned it
Old 08-29-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I won't go into the ethics here, but I once worked as a cashier in a small book store. At the end of the day, they would take out the register tape, and count it aganist the money in the drawer. If it didn't add up, they'd rake my ass over the coals, and sometimes I honestly couldn't explain why things didn't add up. I hope this doesn't happen at BB, or that girl's in trouble.
Old 08-29-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And she probably realized her mistake five minutes after you left the store, and was complaining about a scumbag thief customer to her co-workers for the rest of the day.

I'd have given the money back too. It's not just a matter of honesty, but also of respect.
Old 08-30-02, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you noticed the mistake when you got back home/work, that's one thing. But to notice it right there as it happens is quite a different story. You did it your way and that's you. I would have handled it the other way.
Old 08-30-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hey all, thats fine... I am an honest person, and honestly dont feel like I did anything wrong. You all can say what you like about it, but I did not force her to do anything, it is just one of those things that happens. It is good furtune as for as I feel. I have spent well over $10,000 at BB over my life, and for them to give me back $5, that is fine by me... I have worked in retail electronics before, and they make plently of money. And it is not that the register was short anything, she just changed the price of the DVD wrong... Why should I have to do anything when it was the employees fault... I did nothing wrong, and I resent the fact that you think I stole from them
Old 08-31-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My understanding of cashiering, from many years back, is the first $5.00 should have already comethrough since it was a company promotion. The second $5 will get her in trouble as her register will now be that amount short. Two seperate reductions off one purchase brings up flags for them I'm sure. I've heard from their employees about the strictness at which they are held responsible for their register. You may not have cost her the job, but that transaction did bring her closer to it.

I am not accusing you of stealing from them. It was you own post that makes you appear to do that. Like I said, if you got to work/home and noticed, that's one thing. But to notice as you are standing there is quite a different story.

And lastly, thanks for the laugh. I can't tell you how many times I have heard how much people spend at a retailer as if that's justifies anything they are doing. Hey I spend $1, 040 at the gas station in a year....does that allow me to drive off and not pay, even if the amount is under $5?

I'm not trying to rag on you, some of us just see things differently than others.
Old 08-31-02, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hey all, thats fine... I am an honest person, and honestly dont feel like I did anything wrong. You all can say what you like about it, but I did not force her to do anything, it is just one of those things that happens. It is good furtune as for as I feel. I have spent well over $10,000 at BB over my life, and for them to give me back $5, that is fine by me... I have worked in retail electronics before, and they make plently of money. And it is not that the register was short anything, she just changed the price of the DVD wrong... Why should I have to do anything when it was the employees fault... I did nothing wrong, and I resent the fact that you think I stole from them
While a lot of people have probably had the same experience in life with a cashier undercharging on some item or another, we don't go out of our way to brag about it. IF you sit down a minute and think about this, you have two options. First, think maybe, just maybe, some people commenting have a fair point, and agree "Appreciate the input guys, next time I'll probably tell the cashier". Alternatively, you can remain convinced what you did was ethically sound, and continue to defend you actions if whatever way you see fit.

One approach will gain you some respect here, the other wont. But that may only be important if you ever want to look to the community here for trades, or some guidance/input on a DVD or related issue.

Just some food for thought, not a flame.
Old 08-31-02, 10:50 AM
Suspended

It seems to me that WAY too many people have a double standard. So, you all chastize REL77 for exploiting a pricing error in his favor - and of course claim that you would never do that, and would return the money/point out the error/do the right thing.

But how many of you jumped on the Blockbuster 25 buck Universal Movie Monster priceing error? The 30 buck Hitchcock boxed set from Orderbox.com? Ever jumped on an Amazon pricing error? What about the all the Buy.com price errors that I see crop up from time to time in the Bargins forum?

It's the exact same thing here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.