Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My Hollywood Video Horror Story

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just had a really, really poor experience at Hollywood Video. I recently moved, so I was looking for a video store. There is a Hollywood video pretty close, so I went to go get a membership.

So I went up and asked for an application. The clerk (who turned out to be the manager) gave me the form and ask for an ID and a credit card. I gave him my driver's license and my credit card, which is a Citibank AAdvantage Business Card. I have a business card because I run my own business and use it all the time for personal purchases.

The manager looked at my card and asked my why I had a business card. I explained my reasons and he said they don't take business cards because peope have tried to screw them (I guess they rent stuff, never return it and then the business claims they aren't taking responsibility) Those reasons kinda baffled me, because I have used it everywhere, BUT I ACCEPTED that reason, and said I would return later with a personal card. Not a big deal, it is pretty close.

And here is where it went bad.

I started browsing the store, and I heard the manager laughing with his employees about me. He was making mocking remarks about me, and that the reason I probably had a business card was because I have poor credit or something. I am pretty sure the manager thought I left the store. So I walked up to him, and confronted him about the remarks and he said he wasn't mocking me, and that if he wanted to mock me, he would say it to my face. I was flabbergasted by his tone. All I was asking for was an apology, and the guy refused to do it, even after he was caught red-handed.

So when I got home, I called the CSR hotline at Hollywood Video. I talked to a nice person who apologized and I am supposed to get a call from the District Manager.

I will update this when I have more info. I am sorry for this long rant..
Old 08-26-02, 10:44 AM

That sucks. Happened to me once at a chinese fast food place. I'm asian, my wife is black. So as I'm leaving the place the chinese lady who helped me is pointing and laughing at us as we're walking away. I go back there and ask her if there was a problem, of course she denies it and claims she wasn't.
Old 08-26-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sad, but unfortunately this type of thing happens all the time at any type of business. Just most of them time we're not aware of it.

Anyone who has ever worked retail could probably share some stories. I know I've cracked my share of jokes at a customer's expense, but I'm a bit older & wiser now, and thankfully not working retail anymore.
Old 08-26-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to crack my fair share of jokes, but not in front of the customers. I used to hate it when some of my co-workers would be discussing the last idiot customer right in front of another customer. I would just wince and walk away.
Old 08-26-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
If the store manager was really doing something like that, you should take it up as high as you can. Good luck with the district manager and be sure to report back.
Old 08-26-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a problem with a manager at Hollywood a couple of years ago, and I did the same thing, calling the CSR number. The district manager called me and told me they'd had numerous complaints about this manager. The result...I received $25 in rentals and the manager got fired.
Old 08-26-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to give video stores my credit card number. When I have done so I use an old credit card, then immediately cancel the credit card after my membership is approved.

Of course I return stuff on time, but if they tried to charge me for something I have returned, there would not be a valid credit card.
Old 08-26-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a problem similar to yours at a little mom and pop store. The guy was speaking spanish and I was with an American-Spanish friend (American first, born and raised here) she spoke fluent spanish and she told me what was happening. I went up to the guy, threw the DVD case right in his face (not literaly) and told him that I'd never come back (in more colorful language).

Its sad too becasue I used to rent there a lot and it was cheap. I told a bunch of friends about this and they never went there either. That place never got much buisness and they went out of buisness soon after. He was making ethnic jokes and this was post 9/11 and I'm a proud Muslim-American. I told a ton of people and they were all happy to boycott.
Old 08-27-02, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by Goat3001
I had a problem similar to yours at a little mom and pop store. The guy was speaking spanish and I was with an American-Spanish friend (American first, born and raised here) she spoke fluent spanish and she told me what was happening. I went up to the guy, threw the DVD case right in his face (not literaly) and told him that I'd never come back (in more colorful language).

Its sad too becasue I used to rent there a lot and it was cheap. I told a bunch of friends about this and they never went there either. That place never got much buisness and they went out of buisness soon after. He was making ethnic jokes and this was post 9/11 and I'm a proud Muslim-American. I told a ton of people and they were all happy to boycott.
I agree with you Goat3001. We as consumers (or customers if you will) never have to take this type of bad behaviour. I have had to put up with comments about me heritage but I respond with a polite yet firm retort and by taking my business elsewhere. I too have also seen my share of abusive stores who have closed simply because they did not get what the phrase "good customer service" meant.
Old 08-27-02, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: My Hollywood Video Horror Story

Originally posted by chanster
Well, I just had a really, really poor experience at Hollywood Video. I recently moved, so I was looking for a video store. There is a Hollywood video pretty close, so I went to go get a membership.

So I went up and asked for an application. The clerk (who turned out to be the manager) gave me the form and ask for an ID and a credit card. I gave him my driver's license and my credit card, which is a Citibank AAdvantage Business Card. I have a business card because I run my own business and use it all the time for personal purchases.

The manager looked at my card and asked my why I had a business card. I explained my reasons and he said they don't take business cards because peope have tried to screw them (I guess they rent stuff, never return it and then the business claims they aren't taking responsibility) Those reasons kinda baffled me, because I have used it everywhere, BUT I ACCEPTED that reason, and said I would return later with a personal card. Not a big deal, it is pretty close.

And here is where it went bad.

I started browsing the store, and I heard the manager laughing with his employees about me. He was making mocking remarks about me, and that the reason I probably had a business card was because I have poor credit or something. I am pretty sure the manager thought I left the store. So I walked up to him, and confronted him about the remarks and he said he wasn't mocking me, and that if he wanted to mock me, he would say it to my face. I was flabbergasted by his tone. All I was asking for was an apology, and the guy refused to do it, even after he was caught red-handed.

So when I got home, I called the CSR hotline at Hollywood Video. I talked to a nice person who apologized and I am supposed to get a call from the District Manager.

I will update this when I have more info. I am sorry for this long rant..
The guy is a frigging video store manager..you could have had a lot to laugh back at him about..better yet you should have just dragged his geek ass out from behind the counter and given him a beating
Old 08-27-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

let me add.. a Hollywood Video store manager!!!! thats like one step below a McDonalds manager
Old 08-27-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a HW video employee, I have to tell you, that's not common. As far as it goes, as long as the name on the card matched the name on the picture ID, that's as far as it would have gone at my store.

We've had a lot of membership issues arise lately--it's unbelievable. We require an instate driver's license and verification of address(a checkbook with current addy, utility bill, etc.), or an out of state license and a credit card. What happened to you I would think is a sign of the manager not representing the customer very well. Probably a crappy store.

As for the "a Hollywood Video store manager!!!! thats like one step below a McDonalds manager" comment; That's about the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. If you get crappy service at places like that, it's probably because the attitude you take in there sucks.
Old 08-27-02, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RDYoung

As for the "a Hollywood Video store manager!!!! thats like one step below a McDonalds manager" comment; That's about the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. If you get crappy service at places like that, it's probably because the attitude you take in there sucks.
actually it isnt (my attitude) but then again I dont go in Hollywood Video or McDonalds so your retort is pretty ignorant too..all I know is the last person I would take any amount of grief from is some guy with a "manager hat" on behind the video or fast food counter
Old 08-27-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Look, please don't make this thread personal attacks. I still haven't heard anything from Hollywood's district manager..RD if he doesn't call, are there any other numbers I could call to get some movement on this issue?
Old 08-27-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by chanster
Look, please don't make this thread personal attacks. I still haven't heard anything from Hollywood's district manager..RD if he doesn't call, are there any other numbers I could call to get some movement on this issue?
I didnt make this thread a personal attack..I told you my true feelings on the issue and someone called me ignorant..
Old 08-27-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Deke Rivers

...someone called me ignorant..
No, he said it was the most ignorant thing he had heard.
Old 08-27-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
She
Old 08-28-02, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stand corrected then..how am I suppose to know whether its a male or female by the handle they use???
Old 08-28-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
ESP
Old 08-28-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gotta love that ESP

Chanster, I sent you e-mail. My SD said she might be able to help a little, but not until our District Manager gets back from vacation.

robyn
Old 08-29-02, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't you just hate the holier than thou people who wear a name tag!
Old 08-29-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What city is this particular Hollywood Video in?
Old 08-29-02, 03:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
A long time ago I worked customer service over the phone. Somebody called in to get a price quote. When they got the quote, they thought it was too expensive, and demanded to speak to a manager. The rep sitting next to me was taking this call, and he put the customer on hold and hollared across the room to the manager, explaining the situation. "Transfer him over," said the manager. I overheard all this and quipped "Just tell him to go someplace else if he doesn't like our prices" (common sense). The other rep laughed and transfered him to the manager.

Turns out that the other rep had screwed up when he put the guy on hold, so he heard the whole thing...including my comments. He let the manager have it, and the manager let me have it. I was almost fired.
Old 08-29-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The manager looked at my card and asked my why I had a business card. I explained my reasons and he said they don't take business cards because peope have tried to screw them (I guess they rent stuff, never return it and then the business claims they aren't taking responsibility) Those reasons kinda baffled me, because I have used it everywhere
What should baffle you is why other people took it, especially if you were using it to secure merchandise like that. Chances are if you were allowed to use it in the past like that, the clerk who waited on you wasn't paying attention. It amazes me when people get caught doing something they shouldn't the first response is, "But I've been able to do it before." Gee, well, I can speed on any road I want, but once I get pulled over I don't tell the officer, "Gee officer, I always go 55 in a 35mph zone, what's the big deal?" That's not a wise response.

But of course, that's the minor part of your story.

The bottom line here is it was VERY unprofessional. I work at a bank, which has grocery store locations, and one time somebody called the bank asking for information, or help with their account (I forget exactly what they wanted) but the person didn't get what they needed over the phone, so they were coming into the branch. Now, this was one of their problem customers, you know the type that you really cringe at the idea of seeing, it's always one thing or another with them. Well, the employees began to talk quite freely about their feelings about this customer, not realizing that this person was on their cell phone not very far away, and heard a bulk of the conversation as they came around a corner. They complained and somebody got fired for it. Of course, a bank is far more strict about customer confidentiality than Hollywood Video, so they would not tolerate anybody talking about other customers in ear shot of anybody walking by.

I hope that manager gets nailed to a wall. It's about time people just learn to shut up and not talk about other customers when there are customers in the store. If they have to vent, do it in a back room or an office where people can't hear.
Old 08-29-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deke Rivers
let me add.. a Hollywood Video store manager!!!! thats like one step below a McDonalds manager
That is a pretty ignorant comment. I know a McDonald's manager who banks at the bank I work for, and he's quite well off. I can't divulge what he has in the bank, but he's well off. Of course, he owns two stores, and is a very good business man and hard working. Not every body who works management for McDonalds is just getting over acne and living at home in their parent's basement. And this guy can afford to live in a neighbor hood you'd see quite wealthy people living in. The comment is ignorant because it assumes all McDonald's managers are the same, and all are lowly people who have no education. At least that's the way you made it seem, like you put them on the bottom rung of the work force. Not all food place managers are lazy kids who never went to school. Quite a few of them are hard working and well off.

Last edited by calhoun07; 08-29-02 at 05:45 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.