Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sci Fi Elements in My Sassy Girl [possible spoilers]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The Sci Fi Elements in My Sassy Girl [possible spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-02, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sci Fi Elements in My Sassy Girl

I haven't checked it on my VCD copy, but there's talk that the film has a few hidden surprises. Like the hotel owner and some of the locked up gangsters in the cell are the same actor; towards the end, when the girl is sitting by the tree ruminating about their relationship, you can see a saucer/spaceship flying overhead; that's supposed to be the boy coming from the future; the old man she runs into by the tree is the boy aged several years; in other words, he's traveled back in time to see her and he's also the one who put the frog in the time capsule. That kinda complements the girl's love of futuristic sci-fi action scripts.
Some say the time-travel easter egg is "neat," but I think it's just unnecessary and really doesn't add much to the film. Rather, it makes me go, What?
Old 08-21-02, 11:37 PM

I

I watched the director's cut of My Sassy Girl again last night (before I read this) to really find out all the sci-fi elements that I read about on a different message board. It is true. Although, it kinda does make each person go "What?" or "Why?", I think its a nice touch cause it gives high replay value in this great, great, great movie and its so subtle that if an ordinary person is watching it and didnt "get it", nothing would be ruined. It is unnecessary, but I liked it for an incentive of rewatching and discussion the ending.
Old 08-22-02, 02:35 PM

Re: The Sci Fi Elements in My Sassy Girl

Originally posted by jeffhhsu
I haven't checked it on my VCD copy, but there's talk that the film has a few hidden surprises. Like the hotel owner and some of the locked up gangsters in the cell are the same actor; towards the end, when the girl is sitting by the tree ruminating about their relationship, you can see a saucer/spaceship flying overhead; that's supposed to be the boy coming from the future; the old man she runs into by the tree is the boy aged several years; in other words, he's traveled back in time to see her and he's also the one who put the frog in the time capsule. That kinda complements the girl's love of futuristic sci-fi action scripts.
Some say the time-travel easter egg is "neat," but I think it's just unnecessary and really doesn't add much to the film. Rather, it makes me go, What?
? Maybe put a spoiler warning in the header for others ?
Old 08-24-02, 12:27 AM

I think there are some over active minds working here and some people have too much time on their hands!
Old 08-24-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FYI:

Apparently, My Sassy Girl is slated to be remade by Dreamworks. Here’s to hoping the producers of the American version of this special movie realize what it is about it that made it the top-grossing comedy ever in South Korea.

(...from Jeremy Heilman's review on the Movie Martyr site...)

. . . . . .
Old 08-24-02, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by cirrus888
I think there are some over active minds working here and some people have too much time on their hands!
Or maybe you just didnt get it? .....

Heres a if you feel like crying.

Yeah, My Sassy Girl is going to be remade along with My Wife Is a Gangster and a plethora of other movies. There was a larger article listing the trendiness of remaking foreign movies. The Ring has been redone, but everyone should know that
Old 08-24-02, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...the trendiness of remaking foreign movies..."

...there's nothing new or particularly trendy about that: Hollywood has been remaking foreign movies since - at least ! - the late 1930s...

...e.g....

° from France the 1936 Pépé le Moko into the 1938 Algiers; the 1991 La Totale into the 1994 True Lies...

° from Sweden the 1936 Intermezzo into the 1939 Intermezzo - and again into the 1980 Honeysuckle Rose; the 1938 En Kvinnan's ansikte into the 1941 A Woman's Face; the 1955 Sommarnattens Leende by way of Stephen Sondheim's Broadway musical into the 1977 A Little Night Music...

° from Italy the 1942 Quattro Passi fra le Nuvole into the 1995 A Walk In The Clouds; the 1957 Le Notte di Cabiria by way of the Sy Coleman Broadway musical into the 1969 Sweet Charity...

° from Japan the 1951 Rashomon into the 1964 The Outrage...

...and so on... and on... and on...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 08-24-02 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-24-02, 11:37 AM

Films that say they are going to be remade don't actually happen as well. Cinema Paradiso was going to be remade what happen to that? John Woo's killer?
Old 08-24-02, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Hendrik
"...the trendiness of remaking foreign movies..."

...there's nothing new or particularly trendy about that: Hollywood has been remaking foreign movies since - at least ! - the late 1930s...

I didnt say it never happened. I just said its starting to get trendy.

My Sassy Girl, My Wife is a Gangster, Il Mare, Hi, Dharma, Ring, Kaosu, The Mission ... the list goes on and on.

Just a little tidbit, Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai is going to be remade as well...