Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Re: Partial Shipping at DVDSoon.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-02, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the long post, but...I placed the following order with DVDSoon in July. Although I hesitated to add BttF to the order (didn't want to wait until Dec. for my other preorders to arrive), I added it to get free shipping and lower my total cost. Big mistake!
Order Number: *****
Order Date: 2002-07-15
Number of Items: 8

1 Back to the Future - Trilogy _(2002-Dec-17 Preorder)
2 Beauty And The Beast (2002-Oct-08 Preorder)
1 Jungle 2 Jungle (2002-Oct-08 Preorder)
1 Muppet Christmas Carol (2002-Oct-08 Preorder)
1 Robin Hood (On Hand)
1 Blackbeard's Ghost (On Hand)
1 IMAX: Hearst Castle - Building The Dream (2002-Aug-20 Preorder)
I requested Partial Shipping on the order. The website states that they will ship when half the order is on hand, then ship the balance when the rest of the order is ready. I did the math and figured that shipment #1 would occur Oct. 8th, then the BttF would ship Dec. 17th. Well, they surprised me and shipped when 3 were on hand. I emailed them;
Dear Dvdsoon,
I requested partial shipping in accordance with the stated policy on your website (you will ship as soon as you get half of the order on hand, then ship the rest when you get them). For my order this indicated that I will receive a shipment after my Oct. 8th preorders are on hand, equaling half of my order (4 items).

Since you shipped my order with 3 items (less than half of my order), I am concerned that you don't hold off shipping my Oct. 8th preorders until my last preorder is released Dec. 17th.

Would you please confirm that you will ship my Oct. 8th preorders when they are released, and not hold them until December?

Thanks, Max
DVDSoon.com response;
Dear Sir,
Unfortunately, we have to wait until all the rest of the DVDs are on hand before we can ship the rest of the order. It is indicated that Partial Shipment is to take place in 2 shipments, and we cannot do another shipment at our expenses.

However, here is what i suggest. You can cancel Back to the Future and re-order it in a new order. Or you can cancel the rest of the titles and re-order them in a new order. Please pay special attention to the prices as they may have changed since the date you placed your order. You can now weight the alternatives and take a decision absed on those informations. Thank you.

If you should need anything else, please, don't hesitate to contact me again.
Have a nice day.
------------------------------------------
Caroline Beauchamp
Customer Service
DVDSoon.com
[email protected]
My response;
Dear Caroline,
Thank you for your prompt reply. Would you kindly refer me to the place on Dvdsoon.com's website where it indicates in the following words,"...Partial Shipment is to take place in 2 shipments..."

Dvdsoon.com's Partial Shipping policy actually says,"As soon as we get HALF (emphasis added) of the order on hand, we will ship to you whatever we have on hand, the rest of the items will be shipped when we get them."

My transaction with Dvdsoon.com was an agreement by both parties to play by the stated rules, which is that you ship when HALF are on hand. I structured my order around your rules and never asked you to ship early. You violated your own stated policy and shipped BEFORE you had half on hand without any prior notification to me. As a result, I am asking that you ship my Oct. 8th preorders as soon as they become available.

No, I do not want to wait until December 17th to receive my Oct. 8th preorders. Dvdsoon.com would be keeping my money for an additional 10 weeks while depriving me the use of my paid-for products. This is unacceptable to me. Also, I investigated your suggestions and they would cost me significantly more money.

This is now the second time I've written to Dvdsoon.com concerning this matter. I am asking once again that Dvdsoon.com ship my October 8th preorders as soon as they become available.

I hope that you also have a nice day.
Thanks,
Max
And the DVDSoon.com response;
Dear Sir,
I truly apologize for this, but the way the system handled your order, you had 7 request for titles (one which happenned to have 2x an item in it). So, when it was time to verify for partial shipping, your order was selected since we had 3 over 7 requests for movies (we round down to give as much as quickly as possible). We truly apologize for this, but you have some options that are offered to you. Thank you for your comprehension.

If you should need anything else, please, don't hesitate to contact me again.
Have a nice day.
------------------------------------------
Caroline Beauchamp
Customer Service
DVDSoon.com
[email protected]
What should I do next? Am I being unreasonable? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-02, 09:14 AM
Cool New Member

I think they may have a point on this one. I found this on their site (under http://www.dvdsoon.com/shipping.xml). Of course, they could have just added this after they ran into your case.

.: Partial Shipping :.

To speed up delivery of some of your order's items, your can request that your order be shipped in two parts. To do so, visit your account then select an order that has not yet shipped. If your order has 4 items and more, you will be able to request that this order be partially shipped to you by clicking on the "Request Partial Shipping" button on the bottom of that page. As soon as we get half of the titles of your order on hand, we will ship to you whatever we have on hand at that time, the rest of the items will be shipped when we get them. For the purposes of partial shipping, we have to count as a single item a title ordered in two copies. Thus, if you have an 8 item order, but one of the titles you ordered has 2 copies, the system will count it as a 7 item order and ship as soon as we get 3 titles on hand. Also, we will not split shipping of a title that has 2 copies ordered, both will be shipped when we have them on hand.

Please note that you will no longer be eligible for our large order gifts (see paragraph above) and that order will not be counted in the 5 orders for the $ 5.00 CAD credit. Also, that order will no longer be eligible for the automatic upgrade from Canada Post to Purolator.
Old 08-21-02, 10:20 AM

Regardless of their policy...it would have been nice of them to have accomodated you. It has always seemed to me that when a company tries to rigidly follow some arbitrary rule, all they will get is an unhappy customer. A positive response to your first email would have probably resulted in a very satisfied customer who would have likely written a nice comment on DVDSoon here and would be a repeat customer. Instead, they get the opposite result.

In the future though, I guess the lesson learned is to specifically ask for what you want up front. Perhaps they would have waited and shipped everything but BTTF on October 8 if they had been asked...or at least you would have known and could have planned your order accordingly.
Old 08-21-02, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Bunotski
I think they may have a point on this one. I found this on their site (under http://www.dvdsoon.com/shipping.xml). Of course, they could have just added this after they ran into your case.

.: Partial Shipping :.

To speed up delivery of some of your order's items, your can request that your order be shipped in two parts. To do so, visit your account then select an order that has not yet shipped. If your order has 4 items and more, you will be able to request that this order be partially shipped to you by clicking on the "Request Partial Shipping" button on the bottom of that page. As soon as we get half of the titles of your order on hand, we will ship to you whatever we have on hand at that time, the rest of the items will be shipped when we get them. For the purposes of partial shipping, we have to count as a single item a title ordered in two copies. Thus, if you have an 8 item order, but one of the titles you ordered has 2 copies, the system will count it as a 7 item order and ship as soon as we get 3 titles on hand. Also, we will not split shipping of a title that has 2 copies ordered, both will be shipped when we have them on hand.

Please note that you will no longer be eligible for our large order gifts (see paragraph above) and that order will not be counted in the 5 orders for the $ 5.00 CAD credit. Also, that order will no longer be eligible for the automatic upgrade from Canada Post to Purolator.
That's funny. They did just add that. When I read their shipping policy right after reading the first post in this thread those lines were not there.
Old 08-21-02, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Bunotski
For the purposes of partial shipping, we have to count as a single item a title ordered in two copies. Thus, if you have an 8 item order, but one of the titles you ordered has 2 copies, the system will count it as a 7 item order and ship as soon as we get 3 titles on hand.
OK, now I know that 3 items IS half of 7 or 8!

Thanks for pointing out their revised policy, Bunotski. I wish that had been there before (of course it wasn't, or the CSR would have simply refered me to that paragraph in their policy). I'm glad that they have clarified themselves for future users.

And maineiac, good point- in the future I will initiate contact and let them know what I want up front.

Think of me in January 2003 as I sit down to watch Beauty and the Beast and the Muppet Christmas Carol...