Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Progressive Scan Question...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-20-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a progressive scan DVD player hooked up to my HDTV via component input.

The only thing is that I really can't tell that much of a difference, if any if the DVD player/TV is in progressive mode or interlaced. In fact, one of the menu options for progressive/interlaced mode says that progressive is for still pictures. ::Shrug::

I am pretty sure I am correctly putting everything into progressive mode, because when I set the DVD player to progressive, there is a progressive/interlaced option that is available on the TV that is not available when the DVD player is in interlaced mode.

Any ideas? Or perhaps I am just expecting too much of a difference with progressive scan?

Thanks
Old 08-20-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
What model and size TV?
Old 08-20-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My guess is that your TV has 3:2 pull down processing built-in for film sourced interlaced input. So, effectively, regardless of how you set your input, you're watching progressive scan DVD. Whether it's being done by the DVD player or by the TV, the end result should be extremely similar.
Old 08-20-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks all... I know the TV is Sony, but I don't know the model or size. (It's officially my GF's Mom's... hence it's 4:3... but I have to give credit for the HDTV part... anyway)... I will repsond back tonight with the info.
Old 08-20-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FWIW... TV Is Soney FD Trinitron WEGO KV-32HS20 (32 Inch)

DVD Player JVC XV-FA90BK
Old 08-21-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by waskydiver
FWIW... TV Is Soney FD Trinitron WEGO KV-32HS20 (32 Inch)

DVD Player JVC XV-FA90BK
To answer your question I do not believe you will notice much difference on that size TV.
Old 08-21-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Soney huh? You sure it's not Sorny? Or maybe Magnetbox?

The 30" Wega's are actually pretty high-end direct view TVs. IIRC, the 32 incher is capable of 480P and 1080i. As such, it has built-in line doubling circuitry that Sony calls "DRC." I'm not sure if you can switch it off in the menu, but that'd be the only way to see the difference between interlaced and progressive scan on that TV.

The reason you're seeing very little difference now is because you're simply moving the processing that reverses the 3:2 pull down from the DVD player to the TV. The end result is pretty similar either way.
Old 08-22-02, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by waskydiver
Thanks all... I know the TV is Sony, but I don't know the model or size. (It's officially my GF's Mom's... hence it's 4:3... but I have to give credit for the HDTV part... anyway)... I will repsond back tonight with the info.
To get progressive scan on the TV, you have to go to the menu and manually turn on the progressive scan every time you watch a movie. It is kind of a pain. I have the 36HS20 and it would have the same menu. It is on the last page. I am not at home now so I can't remember the name of the page on the menu. You have to go to progressive and change from "no" to "yes". You will see a HUGE difference. Also I assume you have changed the output on your DVD to 16x9 and progressive? That would need to be done as well. Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-02, 08:45 PM

This may sound a little weird, but I find the progressive setting on my player/set to be not as good as the interlaced signal. I've used Video Essentials to tune the video, and I have confirmed that the player (Tosh 3750) is set to output progressive, and 16:9 AR. Also, the set is a Sony XBR400, and it's all hooked up via component cables. Am I doing something wrong? The progressive picture looks "softer", while the interlaced looks sharper - and I prefer sharper. Don't get me wrong, the softer picture looks very good, but I thought that the progressive setting would give me the sharper and more uniform picture?
Old 08-22-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The progressive picture looks "softer", while the interlaced looks sharper - and I prefer sharper. Don't get me wrong, the softer picture looks very good, but I thought that the progressive setting would give me the sharper and more uniform picture?
I hear a lot of people say this but watch it awhile after tuning the set with AVIA and adjust the sharpness accordingly as per its instructions. Interlaced gives off an artificially sharp image but the finer details are missing. After switching to progressive, turning down your sharpness and turning down or off the SVM you'll start to notice the fine detail in the image that you never saw before. You say you prefer sharper but maybe that's just what you've grown accustomed to. Give it a chance for a few weeks and if you still don't like it switch it back. After all you need to enjoy watching it.