Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Shrinkwrapped DVDs in UK?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I apologize if anyone has already addressed this.

Asked a seller on EBay whether the "new" DVD being sold by him/her was shrinkwrapped. This was the response I got:

"...(they don't do that in the UK as you take the cover to the
counter and they put the disc in)..."

Is this true?

I'm sure the seller is not referring to buying online from UK e-tailers. I've bought from Blackstar and Bensonsworld, and they all came shrinkwrapped, although they seem to have no security tape on their DVDs.
Old 08-16-02, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, this *might* be true. I ordered from Bensonsworld and was shocked when the DVD case turned out to be empty. The wrapping on the case appeared relatively untouched (although it's possible somebody down the chain took out the disk and put the case back in the plastic).

Thankfully, Bensonsworld is tops when it comes to UK etailers and they sent me the missing disk (in a cd-size case).

However, this is just my own US-based experience.
Old 08-16-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The answer is reasonable. Some of the smaller labels don't shrinkwrap their DVDs. I know this for a fact.

I've even had some HKL DVDs come without shrinkwrap, as well.

So, open the DVD up make sure it looks clean.

It's usually easy to tell if it's used because there will be some very very light scratches just from putting the DVD back in the case.

Also, I've never seen security tags or those top stickers on UK DVDs.
Old 08-16-02, 04:12 PM

I orginally come from the UK so i know the score on this one. You could in fact say this was true but not in all cases. The only place the dvds are not shrinkwrapped is when you buy them from a supermarket. You pay for it and they someone get its out of the back room for you. Its the same with CD's. But if you went to a place like Best Buy or Circuit City they would be completely shrinkwrapped with the disc inside.
But the chances are hes used it and telling you that he got it from a supermarket.

If i was you i wouldn't take the risk because its mostly likely have been watched already

Hope this helps
Old 08-16-02, 04:15 PM

you are wrong ''axolotls return''
all dvds come shrinkwrapped in the UK if you buy them from a regular store. Go a supermarket and every dvd with not have any shrinkwrapping on it.
Old 08-16-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait a minute.

I just re-read both your posts.

I said that smaller labels do not shrinkwrap their DVDs (I mean smaller DVD Labels -not- stores.

You said I was wrong then you said if you go to a Supermarket they are not shrinkwrapped, which is what I was I saying.

Then you say it's true but in not all cases, which is a worthless statement in itself. This is like saying "all dogs are black except for the ones that are brown."

I am not trying to start anything; but I think you were stating exactly what I was posting.
Old 08-16-02, 06:55 PM

sorry just getting confused with your post as well as mine.
I will have to remember to keep it bloody simple next time
Old 08-16-02, 08:12 PM

FWIW, I've ordered dozens of DVDs from Bensons World in the U.K. and every single one of them was shrinkwrapped.
Old 08-16-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My copy of Space season 1 from amazon.co.uk came without shrink wrap, but the disc was clean and not even a slight scratch was on it.
Old 08-17-02, 01:33 AM

Yes they do come un-shrinkwrapped sometimes. All my Danger Man discs (1-4) came without any plastic. Really shocked me till I checked the disc and found it mint. Since the release was staggered I got some from Blackstar and some from Amazon. It doesn't appear to be store releated but label related - in this case Carleton.

If you're worried about a scratched disc perhaps he could scan it for you to confirm it's quality in an odd case like this.